Airfix 1:72 New Tool Boulton Paul Defiant *Completed*

FZ6

Thanks for the comments guys,

You'll be pleased to know I got further with this build tonight.

Firstly I masked the model with artists masking fluid and mixed up some Black with a dash of Blue and I sprayed the whole model. I then lightened it with some blue grey and did the centre of the panels. Once I removed the masking fluid I thought the contrast was a bit stark so I blended it in with some more of my mixed colour which tones it down a bit. I'm really pleased with how this has turned out but think I got carried away with the masking fluid and have too many paint chips and some of them are a bit too big. When I apply a different shade of black (Maybe with red mixed in to represent the RDM2) some of these chips wont get remasked and the effect will be toned down.

I also decided to drill out the exhausts this evening. Not perfect but is a vast improvement Not pictured yet. The propellor tips were also sprayed yellow.

16437426311_266120dd77_b.jpg

Airfix 1:72 Boulton Paul Defiant by Marks CVS, on Flickr

16251530018_f33f69069c_b.jpg

16251784930_693d1c52f3_b.jpg

My Spit makes another rouge apprentice to demonstrate how well yellow looks when applied over a pink base colour.

16413218796_a5f5c01e1c_b.jpg

Airfix 1:72 Spitfire by Marks CVS, on Flickr

More updates to follow soon all being well.

I must say I'm getting into this black night fighter theme. I'm contemplating doing both Blenheims I have in all black schemes. An Owl conversion set came for my 109E so I can do one fitted with PeilG IV and I think my next hannants order may contain a Mosquito and an A-20 Turbinlite........

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 3

If you build the Turbonlight build a 485 Sqn Hurricane. They worked together c:

Cheers Tempestwulf I have a Hurricane in the stash and can see it being painted black.......

It's looking good Mark, very nice indeed :coolio:

I must confess that I am having trouble getting a worn finish that I am happy with, mine always seems to end up overdone, or underdone :shrug:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew yours is looking good. I just made a post on your thread suggesting you build a third defiant the finish will be just right then ;)

• Like 1

Ayup All...

I just got my Defiant/Dornier Gift set monday and I can't believe how nice the kits look. In fact, I can't believe just how looong the Defiant is full stop.

• Like 1

Ayup All...

I just got my Defiant/Dornier Gift set monday and I can't believe how nice the kits look. In fact, I can't believe just how looong the Defiant is full stop.

It's quite a bit longer than the Spitfire isn't it?

Well over the last couple of evenings I've made further progress. Firstly the Night finish was polished back with micromesh to smooth the finish out. and I made a replacement aerial mast out of brass which should make it stronger if I knock it. The undercarriage doors were also glued on at this stage but have since been taken off when I realised I couldn't remove and refit the wheels.

16269284407_23977f4a37_b.jpg

The exhausts were drilled out very carefully and attached to a piece of plasticard ready for painting I drilled some 0.5mm holes in another piece of plasticard which are a tight enough fit to hold them in place without glue for painting.

16267491898_2bfc9616b8_b.jpg

The model received another coat of masking fluid and this time was painted with Black mixed with red to represent the RDM2 finish. this toned down some of the larger paint chips I also removed the masking from the canopy at this time and it looks well.

16429190406_16930224c4_b.jpg

The wing leading edges still have a bit too much bare metal showing so I'll touch some of this in with a brush later....

16267491588_93a5d6eaa7_b.jpg

This view of the top wing shows the smooth night showing through in places. Not as mich as I would have liked but I'm still happy with it.

16453449171_8cee8c9ccd_b.jpg

15835121173_0406fd380c_b.jpg

All being well I should be able to get the decals on over the weekend and with a bit of luck the model will be finished for Huddersfield next Sunday. I might even get it done for our club meeting on Wednesday.

• Like 2

How did I miss this? superb project so far and no doubt the finish will be equally as good,great stuff Mark and along with Stew,s thread a great reference point

for those of us still waiting for Airfix to get the bl***y thing to their LMS! and I hope Airfix take note just how popular this kit has been and is so maybe some

other neglected subjects maybe worth a look Skua,Roc etc.

• Like 1

Thanks Stevej60 Hope you and everyone else waiting for these doesn't have to wait much longer.

I've made some really good progress today. The decals have been applied. I ended up using the kit upper wing roundels and stencils and the rest of them came from the xtradecal sheet. Both sets of decals performed beautifully but the xtradecal ones were marginally thinner. It's been ages since I got a model to this stage and I forgot how tedious it was to apply all those tiny stencil decals and there weren't even that many.

I'm just going to explain how I apply decals these days as since I purchased a set of Pheon Models decals I have used their suggested method to apply them. Firstly I polished the surfice back as much as I dared with Micromesh. and then soaked the decal in water. I then applied Klear to the model where the decal was to be placed and applied the decal on top of the Klear i mopped up any excess water/klear with a lint free cloth and applied some heat with a hair dryer on a low setting and gently press down with the cloth. Using this method the decal conforms tightly to the surface and sunk into all the panel lines better than I have ever achieved with decal solutions.

16468012705_cc7c9f28be_b.jpg

15845503674_c1aef7d57c_b.jpg

16442013736_a3eda5046d_b.jpg

16442013446_5445198152_b.jpg

I also made progress with the base for this model and this will be revealed once dry. I also found a standing pilot I can use to display next to this model.

Next step is to paint the exhausts, tyres and prop. Apply exhaust staining, Matt varnish and any touch ups where required.

• Like 11

Where can I buy some micromesh? I've heard about it but never seen it. Sounds interesting stuff

Little cars do a fantastic polishing kit with some polishing pads sanding sticks and a small bottle of polish and a cloth. The micro mesh in the above link looks good as well.

It's not really my thing this weathering lark, but having said that, I do like the look of yours,

it seems to fit this aircraft rather well, very nice overall,

Sean

Really like that - I wasn't sure if I liked the Defiant or the nightfighter scheme but now I know I do :)

On your decal application method, can you still move them around with the Klear? I find I can never get the things on right first time and need to slide. I'd also be worried about getting fluff into the varnish. The results look good though - maybe it's one to try with e.g. Cartograph decals which have robust film.

Will

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments guys I must admit I'm pleased with it and its come out better than I thought it would.

Really like that - I wasn't sure if I liked the Defiant or the nightfighter scheme but now I know I do :)

On your decal application method, can you still move them around with the Klear? I find I can never get the things on right first time and need to slide. I'd also be worried about getting fluff into the varnish. The results look good though - maybe it's one to try with e.g. Cartograph decals which have robust film.

Will

Will I do find I can move them round a little until I press down. If not I apply a little water until they do. Once in place I press down with a lint free cloth and when the heat is applied from the hair dryer the decals aren't going anywhere.

I have managed to get a bit more done this evening.

The base is almost ready it just needs some static grass applying as previously mentioned my base is a pine corner shelf from B&Q. The shape seems to work well with aircraft. The groundwork is made up of filler mixed with Brown Paint (although my latest brown paint is too red!) and applied to the base. This was covered in crushed cat litter.

16461152176_0d25cde403_b.jpg

The figure has been taken from a Gunthwaite Miniatures Fairey Swordfish crew set. He's now on exchange to the RAF lol!

16486171102_814bbe11f8_b.jpg

The prop received the same treatment as the rest of the aircraft. Some of the larger paint chips will be touched in a bit so they aren't as prominent.

16299432828_b2c4bde3ef_b.jpg

The exhaust staining was made with a mix of HU 250 Desert Pink with HU64 Light Aircraft Grey and some matt varnish. This was then lightened with white and a second coat applied. The exhaust staining was quite prominent on this particular aircraft so I hope it doesn't look too overdone.

16300870319_bd99014cf3_b.jpg

The exhausts were painted in Alclad Jet exhaust and coated in hot metal red and blue but I think it needs toning down. maybe with an oily brown wash and some graphite...

16299711150_6f88879995_b.jpg

I'm on the home stretch now.... Just ordered an Airfix Channel Dash set to get myself a Spitfire VB so I can build one in this colour as well oh and the Swordfish is Black. Also if I do a Defiant and Spit I cant let the Hurricane miss out, Oh well the future is looking a bit black for me lol! :coat:

• Like 7

Mark, she's a beauty, look forward to seeing the RFI :coolio:

Excellent job all round mate :thumbsup: - and that Gunthwaite Miniatures figure looks like he was designed to stand next to it - did they not do a gunner though?

Cheers,

Stew

Señor Al really does sculpt a nice figure, doesn't he!

Thanks for all the comments so far guys just about to put on another coat of Humbrol Matt Cote as the Defiant still has a bit of a sheen to it.

Mark, she's a beauty, look forward to seeing the RFI :coolio:

Excellent job all round mate :thumbsup: - and that Gunthwaite Miniatures figure looks like he was designed to stand next to it - did they not do a gunner though?

Cheers,

Stew

I wasn't sure if any of the other crew figures in the set went with this model so I was just going to use the one figure. See what you think.....

http://www.gunthwaite.co.uk/Our%20Ra4.jpg

http://www.gunthwaite.co.uk/Our%20Ra6.jpg

• Like 1