Airfix 1:72 New Tool Boulton Paul Defiant *Completed*

FZ6

Thanks for the comments guys. I have made further progress and will post more pics later. I have had one setback. In my eagerness to commit glue to plastic I managed to glue the pilots bulkhead on the wrong way round. luckily this has been rectified without too much damage. I gave the cockpit an oil wash yesterday and have to do some dry brushing now and make some seat belts. I think I'll have the airframe assembled by this evening all being well.

Here's today's progress, I'm really pleased with how this one is coming together. As I mentioned earlier I have had a setback. In my eagerness to commit glue to plastic I managed to glue the pilots bulkhead on the wrong way round. luckily this has been rectified without too much damage. The interior received dark brown wash of oil paint followed by a dry brushing of HU78 lightened with some sky. The instrument panel decal is a bit on the simple side but I think it is sufficient if you are doing the model with the canopy shut. The seatbelts were made from some wine bottle foil with holes drilled in it not as finely detailed as some after market etched ones but sufficient enough.

16403949266_1c019612df_o.jpg

Airfix 1:72 Boulton Paul Defiant by Marks CVS, on Flickr

16403949526_fd660d2dfb_o.jpg

16242516120_ce02670cba_o.jpg

Once I'd got the model together i added some bracing struts to the back of the armoured headrest out of plastic rod. I just have to now decide where to attach the end of the pilots seat belt.

15809877973_7b8af8935f_o.jpg

16429925475_67d411c3b2_o.jpg

Here's the model all glued up and awaiting a bit of filler. Not much is needed thankfully.

I decided I was going to reduce the prominence of the panel lines on the tail surfaces and worked milliput into the pane line and wiped the excess away with a damp cloth. It didn't take long to do and I think the model looks better for it.

15809879233_fbdc4aba5d_o.jpg

The undercarriage fits really well. In fact you can dry fit it and the model will support itself It could do with a bit more detailing but mine will be straight from the boxl.

16403949226_93381390d4_o.jpg

When I looked at the landing light I initially thought Airfix had over looked this area and I would somehow have to box it in......

Defiant034_zps9d61e65a.jpg

This is where I was wrong. There is a locating tab on the back of each lens cover that fills the gab and holds it in place nicely.

16428985882_d8818f4764_o.jpg

This is nice but makes representing the landing light a bit tricky. My solution was to use glitter for the lenses. They look ok. I'll let them dry and fit the lenses tomorrow.

16428985652_004819623d_o.jpg

Next job filling and sanding........

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments. This will be the last update for a couple of days as I'm away with work.

I'm pleased with how the glitter idea worked. Here it is with the light in situ.

16243671589_5944a85650_b.jpg

The photo above and the one below show a very slight fit issue with the wing to fuselage. The attachment points on the wings aren't quite wide enough for the fuselage. so when you join the wing to fuselage you get a slight undercut. Not sure how visible it is on the photos.

16429924715_23d09aba6d_b.jpg

Here it is with a bit of milliput blended in with a wet cotton bud and a sanded back with some wet and dry paper.

15807411344_571987357d_b.jpg

She's ready for painting almost. The spare canopy makes a great cockpit mask The canopy I'm using needs spraying HU78 before I paint it black...

Just one more thing as Columbo says. I cut out the wingtip navigation lights to replace with clear sprue. Again by JLC Razor saw justifies it's existence.

16428984712_5345d6bc52_o.jpg

ANd here she is with her first coat of primer. I use Alclad primer and think it's great.

16428161841_50f6c2046e_b.jpg

Next step is to paint well worn areas silver so I can represent paint chipping. Then some grey primer over the top. again for further chipping to the primer. Then it's on the night camo scheme. My aim is to get it ready to display on our club table at Huddersfield... I have the Blenheim IV now and that also comes with a night fighter scheme. If this goes well I feel a bit of a theme coming on.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 6

If you are going to stick in sprue for the wing tip lights and sand it to shape I strongly recommend that you do it before any more painting! Otherwise you will have a fair amount of touching up to do. Apart from that, it's looking great,

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Looking amazing.

There's a few of these being build currently on the site and it will be fantastic to watch the progress of all of them.

Good luck with the rest of the build after a brilliant start

Cheers

Bruce

Ayup FZ6...

Nice build so far.

I've ordered the Defiant and Do17 DFD Gift set today, and I just can't wait for them to arrive. I hope to build an inflight display eventually with them.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm back at it now.

If you are going to stick in sprue for the wing tip lights and sand it to shape I strongly recommend that you do it before any more painting! Otherwise you will have a fair amount of touching up to do. Apart from that, it's looking great,

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian, thanks for pointing out that. I knew there would be a lot of clean up once I started sanding but I wanted to paint the seam lines to check them and impatience took over and I wanted to see the model with some paint black paint on and decided to cover the whole model.

I've made some progress since getting back. I started off by painting the area behind the nav lights silver once this had dried i made the lights themselves from the clear sprue. I also drilled a hole into the corner of the clear part and painted the drilled hole in clear red/green paint to represent the bulb. I then fixed them to the model with superglue and sanded them to shape and polished them with micromesh and they look really good. The landing lights are a good fit but to get them absolutely flush with the leading edge they need a bit of blending in with micromesh. I'm pleased with them so far. I had to do a bit more sanding to clean up seams and now need to restore a couple of panel lines. Will post pics later.

• Like 1

I'm impressed. On the Hurricane, the only way I could get the wee bits of clear sprue to stay in place for the sanding and polishing, was with Humbrol liquid cement. This meant that any attempts at silvering the back of them was wasted. It did nothing for their clarity either. What superglue did you use, and how did you get it to grab on such a small area?

Thanks for the kind words Jon

I'm impressed. On the Hurricane, the only way I could get the wee bits of clear sprue to stay in place for the sanding and polishing, was with Humbrol liquid cement. This meant that any attempts at silvering the back of them was wasted. It did nothing for their clarity either. What superglue did you use, and how did you get it to grab on such a small area?

Here is what they currently look like.

16242513160_374b4eeb2a_b.jpg

16242271298_5f22d0f774_b.jpg

16242512740_37105d23e4_b.jpgAirfix 1:72

Boulton Paul Defiant by Marks CVS, on Flickr

I used just standard Loctite superglue to fix them in place. The one I have was a pack of three small 1g tubes these are great as you have more chance of usning the glue before it goes off. I tried applying the glue to the clear plastic part but it came off when I started filing it. I ended up applying it fairly liberally to the wing in the end and that worked. I didn't worry too much about getting a bit on the wing or the clear part as it would be polished out. I also quickly switched from my trusty file to sanding sticks as this seemed to put less pressure on the part than ther file did so lessens the chance of knocking it off.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 3

I made a bit more progress on the defiant today. Firstly I undercoated the prop wingtips white ready for the yellow. I also restored a couple of lost panel lines, and then after a quick polish up of the primer coat I sprayed the Defiant with a coat of Alclad gloss black base. Next job is to paint Alclad on well worn areas that will show through on subsequent coars of paint as I do my paint chipping method....

16242271038_7b620aabb1_b.jpg

Also making this Defiant has given me some motivation to crack on with some more models languishing on the shelf of doom. More work has been done on this Spitfire I

16428983452_c3922c6b1a_b.jpg

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments guys, I feel like I'm flying along with this model. Just not quite as fast as Stew due to using enamels!

The Spitfire is a prime example of how I can bogged down with a build by my interest wandering to another kit.. A kit I glued a few bits together when I bought it and then it has sat in the box occasionally picked up and a few more bits added until I got to this stage. (The box has a 70th Anniversary BOB sticker on it) :blush: Kits of this size should go together quicker than this!

Back to the Defiant. In the pics it looks like I have taken a step back. The aircraft was black and now it's grey this is part of the painting process.

In the thread about painting Aircraft black, Nick Millman very kindly explained that:

DTD 308 was a two part finish consisting of a primer and a finishing coat. The implication therefore is that at the factory the Defiants were first painted with dark or light grey primer, then with a coat of smooth Night and finally the sooty black finish of RDM2. According to Paul Lucas RDM2 was abandoned in December 1942 and replaced with Night.

Therefore I am trying to paint the aircraft to represent this finish with different paint showing through in areas to get a tatty finish so I'm applying the paint in this order to replicate the actual paint process on the real aircraft best I can.

Firstly the aircraft received a coat of Alclad Aluminium over the gloss black. I then used the method illustrated on this thread to apply artists masking fluid (Maskol is the same thing) to the model. I was a bit apprehensive as to how good the technique would work in 1:72 as I had only used it previously on 1:48 models but with a bit of care the paint chips don't come out too big.

16403945466_4017222da3_b.jpg

You'll notice the prop now has pink wing tips and this might be a strange colour to use however pink is an excellent base colour for yellow. I also stuck on the Pitot tube and tail wheel now. Whether that was a good thing to do at this stage remains to be seen but I wanted to see what it looked like on all three wheels......

16242270118_edf4f83f0b_b.jpg

This photo shows the paint chipping on the wing to good effect.
15807420684_5b44f2d498_b.jpg

The next job is to remask the paint chips and get some black paint (mixed with blue on)

I have now made my decision as to which scheme I'm doing. I will be painting the model using the markings from the xtradecal sheet to represent N1801 PS B of 264 Squadron. I want to say as flown by Frederick Hughes based at RAF Colerne in the summer of 1941 but the instructions on this sheet seem to have a few mistakes on them mainly where captions don't match the illustrations. The caption next to the illustration of N1801 describes it as N1773 PS H.... Also the decal number 46 on the sheet (kill markings) is described as 23 on the instructions. It's not a massive problem but does cause a bit of confusion.

Regards,
Mark

Edit: Oops I maxed out on my photobucket Bandwidth I've never been so popular. I've uploaded the pics to my Flickr account instead and will do the same for the rest of the thread!

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 3

Great stuff! Hope the weathering comes out as intended...

Glad you're doing Coimbatore II, (N1801), I did this for my MPM kit and am contemplating doing the same for my Airfix, as it's one of my favourite Defiants.

Incidentally there seems to be quite a bit of confusion over this scheme; MPM have it with red serial, and code "PS*Y" not "PS*B". The only picture I've seen of the aircraft doesn't show the rear fuselage, so I guess it's just up to you which you go with.

• Like 1

Well I went over my photobucket bandwidth and had to transfer my pics over to Flickr and relink them.

Great stuff! Hope the weathering comes out as intended...
Glad you're doing Coimbatore II, (N1801), I did this for my MPM kit and am contemplating doing the same for my Airfix, as it's one of my favourite Defiants.

Incidentally there seems to be quite a bit of confusion over this scheme; MPM have it with red serial, and code "PS*Y" not "PS*B". The only picture I've seen of the aircraft doesn't show the rear fuselage, so I guess it's just up to you which you go with.

Cheers for that info. I managed to find this image of N1801 on google. It shows quite heavy weathering. I also like the little flag like cover on the pitot. I wonder what colours that was?

Xtradecal have provided a grey serial for this scheme although a couple of other aircraft on the sheet with grey codes have red serials. Printscale also do markings for this aircraft but with a red serial and they have it as PS B as well. I think mine will have a grey serial....

Neil you need to go out and get one it will change your life! LOL! Well at least you'll have a great time building it..........

• Like 2