WNW Triplane - For a WW1/rigging newbie...

nick32

Hi, i have in the stash a WNW Triplane, i'm itching to start it after i clear a couple of ongoing builds from the bench but to be honest i'm a bit nervous of making a hash of it, most likely the rigging.

These kits are now all sold out, so the chances of getting another are very slim.

Is it a fairly easy build for a moderately competent builder? Am i better off trying an easier one to start with?

I was thinking about picking up an Airfix Tiger Moth to have a go at rigging, but then i realised the tiny scale might make things difficult...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

It's an easy(ish) build and a very well engineered kit.

The only potential gotcha as far as putting the thing together is its worth sanding the cockpit floor down to roughly half it thickness. People have mentioned fit issues if you don't do this. I did it for my pup and tripe and the resulting fit was perfect.

For the rigging if you've never done it before I'd recommend getting an optivisor or equivalent otherwise you'll never see what your doing. I would say the internal rigging is more complex than the externals and in reality you can get away without rigging the internals. Whether you want to is a different matter.

Work out what method of rigging you want to use (stay clear of the accurate but insanely hard to get right flat PE). I prefer the brass eyelet and tube method and for the rigging itself the popular materials are fishing line, EZ line or knit in elastic.

Pop over to www.aircraftmodels.com and there's a few good tutorials.

Rigging is time-consuming, frustrating and boring but ultimately rewarding

Thanks gcn, that's very very helpful, especially the head's up about the cockpit floor.

I'll check out Optivisor's and different rigging materials.

Do you have any pic's of your build? Would be good to see.

Thanks again,

Nick

No, but I have a camera and a computer so I think I can manage it. Give me a day or two.

Again I'd recommend ww1aircraftmodels.com. You will need to register for access to the forum, but a search will bring up plenty of b-logs and piccies, as I'm guessing it will here.