EE Lightning F6, 5 Sqdn., 1/48th scale

Here is the third model in my first Lightning trilogy. This is the Lightning F6, built from the Airfix kit. I had it in my stash before the kit was reissued, and decided to start it when I was finishing up my F2.

I used the Eduard brass set for enhancements in the wheel wells, and a Neomega cockpit. The kit is otherwise stock.

photo-431_zpsc64e6fd6.jpg

This was my first "big tank" Lightning, and I found it to be more challenging than the two small-tank Lightnings I did previously. I found the Red Tops to be harder to finish and paint than the Firestreaks. I also had some paint finishing problems that necessitated a partial stripdown of one of the wings for refinishing.

photo-429_zps5840a2bc.jpg

The paint is Testor's Ocean Gray, with old-old Floquil-formula Aeromaster used for the RAF green. I used Humbrol Barley Grey for part of the ventral tank. Undersides are in Alclad Aluminum, with Alclad Polished Aluminum used for the nose ring.

photo-428_zpsc2df2f80.jpg

I modeled this particular aircraft (seen here: http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xr769am.html ) because the scheme incorporated both the 5 Sqdn. and 11 Sqdn. markings for a short time. It had just been transferred to 5 Squadron at the time the photo was taken, and the markings had not been fully changed over yet. I used a mix of Airfix kit decals, Barracudacals stencils, and Cutting Edge decals to get all of the markings on the model.

photo-430_zpscbad3559.jpg

I didn't like how this model came out initially, but it's grown on me, and it's one of my favorites now.

Yes, there will be a second Lightning trilogy, so that I can finish up the single seaters. It's possible now that Airfix has announced the reissue of the small-tank Lightning in 1/48 scale.

Andy

Sarasota, Florida

• Like 12

Is that the kit marking or an aftermarket set, The only reason Is the nose marking you have on your splendid example is
from 11(f). When the new grey scheme`s Aircraft started to arrive with RAF Binbrook`s Sqn`s they started to "toned down" the Sqn markings the bars on the nose was dropped and a much smaller version applied to the fin ether side of a reduced in size Sqn markings.

You seam to have a hybrid jet. Nice model tho is it the Airfix kit?

Looking Back through my Pc it looks like your model was in between painting see pic

F6XR769AM_zps9cd93088.jpg

Edited by tweeky