1/32 Felixstowe

Gisbod

Holy Mackerel that's good! Nope, it's amazing!

Just discovered this thread and my first thoughts were that the wooden parts were wooden if you know what I mean. I didn't realise it was painted plastic! In an earlier reply you say that "The rest is just the usual oils technique" I'm sorry but I can't tell which is oils and which is decals. Could you be persuaded to share the technique with us lesser mortals?

Cheers

Al

That is the most amazing work I think I've seen on here.

It looks beautiful, stunning and the wood looks incredibly lifelike. Which uschi decals did you use for it?

I'm now toying with the idea of adding this kit to my ever expanding collection of wingnuts kits!!

I'm hooked on this build now!

Thanks chaps :)

Holy Mackerel that's good! Nope, it's amazing!

Just discovered this thread and my first thoughts were that the wooden parts were wooden if you know what I mean. I didn't realise it was painted plastic! In an earlier reply you say that "The rest is just the usual oils technique" I'm sorry but I can't tell which is oils and which is decals. Could you be persuaded to share the technique with us lesser mortals?

Cheers

Al

Al, it's just an acrylic painted base - light sandy colour, then artists oil paint on top and the grain is made by dragging this across the surface with a brush - it's actually very easy. The inside of the fuselage wall is a decal - again light coloured base with decals applied on top (very delicate though).

Hope that helps?

Quick catch up...

Not much to show - it seems to have taken me forever to get to the pre painting bit.. I don't know why, just a lot of preparation, seams to blend, rigging to work out and masking....

E76A4607-D3F7-4EE8-9BD0-86142431CB3E_zps

The wing is flipping enormous!!

8A803123-F22C-4171-8C0E-2C8B4DA290BD_zps

Cheers

Guy

• Like 6

Thanks Guy,

I'll have to give it a try, what colour oils did you use?

Al

Just mixed to my eyes idea of the right colour - ochre/ raw sienna etc - have a practice on a spare :) you'll be surprised at how easy it is to recreate wood!

Guy

• Like 1

Hi,

Reallly impressive model and the various textures rendition is just top notch.

The mix between decals and oil painting is simply brilliant.

I'm not at all in WWI stuff, as I'm just not patient enough to deal with rigging, but these WNW kits are real stunners.

Looking forward to outer painting stages.

Stef (#6)

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all,

Just to prove that the project is still alive!

Lots of masking and the linen parts are at least underway :) takes a lot of paint to cover the beast!

4FA96064-2A64-490F-ACA0-F2C11DDAEDD2.jpg

7EB7B763-FD15-479F-83D8-0E0155F82641.jpg

Guy

• Like 5

Nice work Guy.

Plywood sides are terrific and the rib masking is a sight to behold aswell. Love the shot of the spary booth :lol: - I think the main reason why I haven't gone for one, just where would I put it!?

Wonderful job Guy.

I have always liked the Felixstowe ever since I read the spiders web book.

Like many reading this I'm terrified of wood effect and rigging, time for me to "grow a pair" and following this build attempt both....... But on something considerably smaller !

Cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic. I'm not usually a fan of these older type of aeroplanes (at least in kit form) but you're doing a superbly neat job on this!

Can I ask you to explain to me how you achieve the wood effect on the plywood sides please?