1/32 Felixstowe

Gisbod

Hello all,

The rather beautiful Felixstowe all the way from New Zealand :) (although it sat in UK customs for 3 weeks before they got round to delivering - and charged me £50 for the privilege :()

Looks incredible at first glance - I'm going for the box art scheme as I like the varying finishes - clear linen/ painted/ plywood/ dark wood ;)

She's a big bird!

Few initial pics...

6bf1a2e0bbd766cdafbad173e42e24b7.jpg

eef902ca69f42ff898145ef4ccb61903.jpg

b062e5830fd8eb95f6054cd28b19f22a.jpg

Where all the 'action' takes place...

f3377ad3d66d747f51021aff33fede4f.jpg

Just been sawing the internal parts off the sprues - when I've got a big enough pile - I'll work out what to do next ;)

There are tons of attachment points to remove on the internal framework that keeps it from distorting/ breaking. I know everyone harps on about the size of the model but you need a big bench just when you're cutting the sprues! Let alone where to put the box..

d7132d8581d63a4477136b08517cbd7c.jpg

I have a notion to open up the top of the fuselage to show off the interior - I was thinking of a plastic framework to represent the stringers/ formers... But I'll see how that pans out. The other conundrum is how best to represent the rigging and pullies..

It's great to start such an epic kit though - I quite like the beginning where I'm not rushing anything - I'll try and keep that pace/ mindset throughout the model...

Cheers

Guy

Ps I've just finished a book called 'The Spider's Web' a Flight Commanders recollection of the WW1 flying boat campaign - it was excellent - Its nice to get an historical feel of what I'm building...

Pps Apologies for posting elsewhere...

• Like 7

Friend of mine also got his kit the other day.

Why did you have to pay 50 pound to customs?

Looks an impressive kit.

Stephen

Just the going rate for import tax & handling fee - I wouldn't mind so much, but the fact it took 3 days from leaving Wingnuts to arriving in London - then a further 3 weeks sitting on a shelf at customs because they have no one to answer to...

Will certainly be watching this build. I went for the late version and is one amazing kit.

Stephen, there's a lot to a WNW kit, but if you break them down to their sub-assemblies they aren't that difficult, but the tolerances of fit are such that paint on the joins could affect it. Care and patience will result in a great looking model.

Watching this with interest

pick mine up tomorrow from Argos ( Ebay £235) I'm going for B the black and white dazzle !!

I've built a few WNW kits and they are stunning,I backed away from the Gotha as is was to big!! now I have this at almost twice the size!!! .

Bring on a HP 0/400!!!!

Edited by Torchy

I thought Ned Kelly was a crook.

Have you built many wingnuts kits? I would like to try one, but not sure which as I would like an easy kit to build first.

Stephen

Yep, about 7 or 8 I guess.. Really depends if you like rigging.. If not - the Hansa - Brandenburg W.12 is a great kit - excellent fit, not difficult (and as Dave said - you just have to be careful as the fit is almost too perfect!) and minimal rigging - although I particularly liked the Pfalz D.III - simple construction - lovely aircraft - medium rigging. I just wouldn't start with a Brisfit or RE8... Everyone seems to recommend the Pup, but that has a slight fit issue with the lower wing - so I'd go for the Pfalz

image-2.jpg

Guy

• Like 3

Perusing my sample of this , in the "Duelists" set , I thought it will take as long to rig it as it takes to build it. WNW's are excellent , setting a high standard , but ya gotta remove paint from mating surface's , the fit is that good!

My Felixstowe arrived just after Christmas, I went for the "Duelists" set too. But as a WNW virgin, the Felixstowe is going to have to wait until I've got a couple of smaller, single-engined WNW kits under my belt first. This is a whole new world of modelling in relation to accuracy, fit and detail. I cannot wait to get started on one, but in the meantime I'll enjoy yours! :popcorn:

...although it sat in UK customs for 3 weeks before they got round to delivering - and charged me £50 for the privilege :().

£50.00, I thought it was only £20.00?

£12.00 for the Taxman and £8.00 to the Royal Mail, for the liberty of handling the Taxmans money (or is it the other way round?)

£50.00, I thought it was only £20.00?

£12.00 for the Taxman and £8.00 to the Royal Mail, for the liberty of handling the Taxmans money (or is it the other way round?)

Charged me £41 tax and a £9 handling fee.... :(

Quick mini update on the petrol tanks...

b6938feb2573f4bfc461b7b350bdfa17.jpg

Guy

• Like 1

Ticking along..

Just prepped the woodwork for the oils & I've used Uschi plywood decals for the interior fuselage. Super duper kit! Loving it so far ;D

2baea444eeb6854153cf6afa0d1f9974.jpg

0bd1c3a95f29609f397c04ebc8da65ce.jpg

(the sink holes won't be visible once finished)

4ba517284411cc3d794d41eea532907b.jpg

Guy

• Like 4

Wow will watch this with interest, would love to be able to get one of these but I would need a bigger house, got the Roden 1/72 scale version to build instead. Good luck with your build, looking good so far and the plywood decals look fabulous.

All the best
Chris