This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Looks like there's been a change at the helm of SAM

Hopefully some substance can now be added to the style.

Jon

Good news, magazine was always first class with Neil at the helm.

Good news, magazine was always first class with Neil at the helm.

Although I hope the frequency of unnecessary italics and "quotation marks" drops compared to before ;)

Jon

Also get rid of those white backgrounds for models. The White T-38 on a white background was nearly invisible :)

Wow... I thought I was the only one who'd stopped getting that particular periodical after the last change of editor. Glad to see I'm not.

My issues with it were (are?) legion.

Well in the last 2 issues to January we were spared the saga of the balsa Spitfire! The January edition has coverage of SMW with photos of the Guideline team.

I don't like the enthusiastic coverahge of kits costing over 100GBP.

Rather than this turn into a what was wrong / we didn't like about SAM, let's be positive and wish the mag well with whoever turns out to be in charge over the next years.

Jonners

Rather than this turn into a what was wrong / we didn't like about SAM, let's be positive and wish the mag well with whoever turns out to be in charge over the next years.

Jonners

Yes, good point. Apologies for a mini-rant!

Well in reference to Neil R's temporary return to the helm, "all" I can say, is that I hope his issue is "well received" and that ( in truth) I've always had a "soft spot" his enigmatic use of punctuation to "make a point"!!!

:) :) :)

Jonners

Well in reference to Neil R's temporary return to the helm, "all" I can say, is that I hope his issue is "well received" and that ( in truth) I've always had a "soft spot" his enigmatic use of punctuation to "make a point"!!!

:) :) :)

Jonners

Excellent! My comment above aside, I am a Neil R fan and look forward to this month's issue almost as much as I'm looking forward to the new MAI (with hopefully concomitant correct usage of the question mark :) ).

Jon

Hopefully some substance can now be added to the style.

Jon

And a bit of style to the substance too....

The only person I knew at SAMI was Gary Hatcher, with whom I dealt with when at one time I was going to do an article on the 1/32nd scale Hobby Boss Il-2 for SAMI (that never came to pass, unfortunately). At any rate, he seemed like a decent chap; so is he out at SAMI?

Regards,

Jason

I think what we need is one of those 1930s Soviet paintings where people are airbrushed in or out according to their status.

Jonners, Commissar for The Peoples Fraternal Choice of Editors Who Write Appropriately

About time too !. Frankly, I was amazed at how long this one-time 'flagship' aviation modelling publication has lasted in its most recent format and style. I appreciate that the vast majority of publications have had to adjust their style to accomodate the availability of infomation on the internet but I did feel that SAM was the worst at abrogating responsibility for looking after that body of the readership that still rely heavily on reading off a page rather than a screen and enjoy holding a magazine in their hands. Combined with the sort of headlines and writing style that is more akin to a daily tabloid newspaper, the magazine was, IMHO, on the slippery slope.

Space and regular moves precludes me from hoarding vast quantities of magazines so I have regular culls during which time I remove those articles/features that may be of use to me for future modelling projects. In the past I have very rarely ever thrown out an entire magazine since I always find at least one or two pages to keep, even if it is just the hints and tips page. A measure of just how far SAM has fallen in my personal estimation is that I recently disposed of several compete copies, having realised there was absolutely nothing of any substance or use, although I do like Mark Rolfe's regular colour side profile references. One of the best decisions I made some years ago was to cancel my 20+ year subscription to SAM......Let's hope Neil can turn it around for them again.....anyone care to place a bet on how long it will take before a feature on a Spitfire appears in the mag though !.

About time too !. Frankly, I was amazed at how long this one-time 'flagship' aviation modelling publication has lasted in its most recent format and style. I appreciate that the vast majority of publications have had to adjust their style to accomodate the availability of infomation on the internet but I did feel that SAM was the worst at abrogating responsibility for looking after that body of the readership that still rely heavily on reading off a page rather than a screen and enjoy holding a magazine in their hands. Combined with the sort of headlines and writing style that is more akin to a daily tabloid newspaper, the magazine was, IMHO, on the slippery slope.

Space and regular moves precludes me from hoarding vast quantities of magazines so I have regular culls during which time I remove those articles/features that may be of use to me for future modelling projects. In the past I have very rarely ever thrown out an entire magazine since I always find at least one or two pages to keep, even if it is just the hints and tips page. A measure of just how far SAM has fallen in my personal estimation is that I recently disposed of several compete copies, having realised there was absolutely nothing of any substance or use, although I do like Mark Rolfe's regular colour side profile references. One of the best decisions I made some years ago was to cancel my 20+ year subscription to SAM......Let's hope Neil can turn it around for them again.....anyone care to place a bet on how long it will take before a feature on a Spitfire appears in the mag though !.

I completely agree with the statement regarding SAM at one point was the flagship magazine, could it regain that position?.... I think yes, with the right editor and the right content.

There was nothing wrong with the older content format, always very informative and as you say some people like the feel of the magazine whilst reading, this includes me.

I am not able to read long articles from the screen on any format or reader (lack of screen concentration) so magazines are my number 1 point of reference.

Also screen reading for long periods is not very healthy for you.

If I find items on the internet I have to print them out.

I still have all issues from number 1 of most of the modelling magazine, and I intend keeping them(no space limitations luckily).

Have all original runs of Airfix mag, Aircraft Modelworld, PAM news, SAMI,SAM,MAM, Military Modelling, plus many others,

I still find articles in the old Airfix magazines that would give a lot of modern contributors a run for their money.

Although the content and layout of SAM has dropped in quality over the last few years I have kept the faith as there are always changes.

As regards Spitfire articles, nothing wrong with them providing they are accurate and provide information, reference or kit build that is of help to the reader.

Derek