RAF Coastal Command depth charges - Help needed please

Mark

Hi all,

Amongst the many experts out there in Britmodellerland, would any of you know what type of depth charges were fitted to RAF Coastal Command Catalinas, operating in the North Atlantic during 1943? Specifically the type that was used by John Cruikshank VC during his attack on the German U-boat that won him the Victoria Cross.

Hi Mark,

Assuming that Cruikshank's Catalina was carrying standard 250lb Depth Charges (x 4) and not 450lbers, then your depth charges will be Torpex Mk XI depth charges, which are described in this link (gives detail about the break away tail also)

http://www.uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/includes/uxopages/Mulvaney_Details.cfm?Ord_Id=FB33

Hope that helps

Regards

Alan

Brilliant Alan, thank you!

A quick search reveals that Belcher Bits do them in resin, but there doesn't seem to be any pylons with them. Any ideas?

Brilliant Alan, thank you!

A quick search reveals that Belcher Bits do them in resin, but there doesn't seem to be any pylons with them. Any ideas?

It might not have been carrying depth charges at all, which are used for submerged targets. it is more likely to have been carrying Anti Submarine Bombs. The RAF used 250lb 500lb and 600lb AS bombs, The cat could carry upto 1000lb class stores so all are a possible load.

Selwyn

The AS bombs were found to be ineffective at an early stage, partly because of low explosive charge and partly because of the difficulty in hitting anything. By this date I'd expect to see depth charges as the preferred load: a low depth setting would be perfectly adequate for surfaced U-boats.

The AS bombs were found to be ineffective at an early stage, partly because of low explosive charge and partly because of the difficulty in hitting anything. By this date I'd expect to see depth charges as the preferred load: a low depth setting would be perfectly adequate for surfaced U-boats.

The original 100lb AS bombs were pretty useless, the 250Lb was marginal. The 500Lb and above were quite effective and remained in service at least to the end of WW2.

Selwyn

Thanks everyone!

I've had it confirmed that John Cruikshank's aircraft was carrying six 250lb depth charges. So now that's settled, how do these get hung from the wing? What type of pylon would have been used?

Thanks everyone!

I've had it confirmed that John Cruikshank's aircraft was carrying six 250lb depth charges. So now that's settled, how do these get hung from the wing? What type of pylon would have been used?

Pylon detail is shown in this here, but it shows only two depth charges mounted on the wing:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/WH2-1RAF-fig-WH2-1RAF017b.html

Appearance of the loaded pylons is hinted at here:

http://ww2db.com/images/52c26684280ae.jpg

Somewhat posed picture of a 450lb DC about to be loaded on a Coastal Command Catalina.

consolidated-pby-catalina-flying-boat-co

These were basically a naval depth charge with a nose cap and a tail and were replaced by the more efficient 250lb weapon.

Unfortunately we can't see the pylon.

Might be a wild stab in the dark, but given the similarity in weights carried, wouldn't the bomb cradle have been the same or at least similar, to those used by the Spitfire, when carrying the 500lb bomb on the centre line?

In a similar vein to the others I have this on my C drive

16143643647_5bd4b461e9_z.jpg[/url]

Sadly no idea whose Cat this is but it has several bomb carriers underneath the wings, looks to be Coastal Command colours though

15707093904_e8449ee653_z.jpg

Edited by perdu

Sadly no idea whose Cat this is but it has several bomb carriers underneath the wings, looks to be Coastal Command colours though

The Catalina in the second picture is fitted with racks for retro-bombs. These had small rockets fitted to the forward end that cancelled out any forward speed as they were dropped, allowing the bombs to fall straight down onto the target.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-requests/catalina-retro-bombs-37783.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/rep/ASW-51/ASW-Glossary.html

Chris

The second Cat is one of the RAAF's first batch, photographed either on its way to Australia or after arrival at Rose Bay in Sydney. Because the US was not involved in the war at that time, the RAAF couldn't crew the aircraft, and the job was done by civilian pilots from Qantas. I have more information somewhere, but it's presently packed away for my house move next week. I can say that the glossy area on the lower hull was a coating of lanolin applied as an anti-corrosive.

Edited by Admiral Puff
  • Like 1

You may find these photos interesting, if not especially helpful. They're Public Archives of Canada photos. Unfortunately, they're scanned from an old issue of IPMS Canada's magazine rather than the originals which would have reproduced much better. The first photo shows a dolly of 250 lb depth charges being dragged to the aircraft. The circular object being carried is a winch. In the second photo a charge is being winched up with a cable passing through the wing. The final shot shows two depth charges in place, along with two sea markers. Photo credits PAC PL16165, PL36213, and PAC OSG-216 respectively. Oh, BTW... the charges were described as being a dark sea grey in colour.

dolly.jpg

winching.jpg

underwing.jpg

Some seriously good good help here guys, thanks to everyone!

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

Of course, this photo no raises the question of guns! I have read that the RAF Coastal Command Catalinas had the Vickers 0.303 machine guns instead of the Browning 0.5 guns used on the US aircraft. Also, the blister guns, were they all a double set in the RAF aircraft, as shown in the photo above?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where this image is originally from. I've had it in my pictures for years.

depthcharge.png

Chris

Hi, I recognise the background as I drive past it daily. The photo was taken in Oban Bay, Scotland with the distinctive outline of the Isle of Kerrrera in the background. That would make the destination a Sunderland of 10 Sqn RAAF in 1940/41.

• Like 1