Killer Sharks (and an old friend)

To be accurate, there are only two sharks. There are only two aircraft flown by Clive "Killer" Caldwell as well. However, one of the killers is a shark - and it is also an old friend! :)

I am fascinated with how things change over a period of time. That's one of the reasons that I like to build Spitfires. My entries for this groupbuild will be along similar lines. I will attempt to depict the evolution of the P-40 when used by the Desert Air Force. There will be four models, all in 1/72 scale, all in the desert scheme but all subtly different. They will be as follows:

Tomahawk IIB, AK498 LD-C of 250 Sqn, flown by Flt Lt Clive Caldwell RAAF, November 1941.

Kittyhawk I, AK772 GA-Y of 112 Sqn, flown by Sqn Ldr Clive Caldwell RAAF, March 1942.

Kittyhawk III, FL242 OK-<> of 450 Sqn RAAF, flown by Flt Lt Frank Schaaf, July 1943

Kittyhawk IIIA, FR458 GA-C of 112 Sqn, 1944.

001.jpg

The Tomahawk will be the current Airfix kit, using Xtradecal markings.

The Kittyhawk I will be the Hasegawa kit. This has been in The Stash for over thirty years. It is a lovely little kit and really deserves to be built. I will be depicting it in the classic sharkmouth markings of the original Airfix kit from the 1960s which always looked as though it had YOGA emblazoned on the side! :lol:

The Kittyhawk III is from the Sword "Kittyhawk short tail" kit using a marking scheme from the kit.

The Kittyhawk IIIA is from the Sword "P-40K Warhawk long tail" kit, again using a marking scheme from the box.

This is gonna be fun! :bounce::D

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 2

So here we go with the sprue shots.

Firstly the Airfix Tomahawk

T-001.jpg

There are some better shots in Paul AH's review of the first boxing of this kit.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/78213-curtiss-hawk-81-a-2/

Next, the Sword short tailed Kittyhawk.

K3-001.jpg

The long tailed Kittyhawk is the identical kit with an additional sprue featuring the longer fuselage. As you can see, Sword have removed one of the shorter fuselage halves from the original sprue. Why one and not both? I don't know. :shrug: It doesn't affect the kit though.

K3A-001.jpg

These Sword kits are excellent - fully up to their recent standard. This means very good detail and engraving with some possibly tricky assembly in various areas. Nothing to be concerned about and I recommend them very highly.

Finally, the Old Friend. :) The elderly Hasegawa kit.

K1-001.jpg

K1-002.jpg

As you can see, this one as had three decades of loving plastic fondlage. :lol: It bears comparison surprisingly well with the more modern kits. The panel lines are finely engraved - in fact they were state of the art when the kit was released. The cockpit is quite crude by today's standards and is comprised of a floor, combined bulkhead/armchair piece and a plain instrument panel with a decal. The wheel wells have no detail whatsoever. I will be adding a little detail to the cockpit but leaving the wheel wells as they stand.

• Like 1

Cockpits first.

The Hasegawa Kittyhawk IA has an armchair rather than a pilot's seat! I stole a seat from the second Sword kit in the Kitthawk boxing. I added some cockpit sidewall detail from microstrip but the remainder, including the instrument panel, is just as it comes in the kit. I have added an Eduard superfabric seat harness.

K1-003.jpg

The Sword kits. These have a lot of excellent detail. Harnesses again by Eduard.

K3-003.jpg

K3A-002.jpg

The Airfix Tomahawk is somewhat different. The cockpit assembly fits onto the wing assembly and is inserted into the fuselage when the mainplane is fitted.

T-002.jpg

The fuselages ready to be cleaned up.

002.jpg

• Like 7

Main assembly is complete on all airframes.

003.jpg

A closer look.

Airfix Tomahawk

T-003.jpg

Hasegawa Kittyhawk I

K1-004.jpg

Sword Kittyhawk III

K3-005.jpg

Sword Kittyhawk IIIA

K3A-003.jpg

As expected, the Sword kits needed a fair bit of fettling and filling around the wing roots. Nothing untoward though.

The Airfix kit fitted nicely but still needed a bit of sanding and Mr Surfacer around the upper and lower cowling joints.

One the other hand, the Hasegawa kit - over thirty years old - just fell together! Perfect fit! :thumbsup:

The Sword kits have no tabs for the tailplanes, so I shall be fitting them before painting.

• Like 3

I'm laughing at the pictures of the Airfix fuselage next to the other kits, because it's got such a huge amount of filler on it compared to the other ones. And all I could think of was, "Yep, that's the same experience I've had!" :doh:

All told, though, and especially considering the price of the Airfix 1/72, I think it's a nice little kit. I need to push on and finish mine this week but just not feeling the modeling mojo today for some reason so I'm browsing the forums and relaxing instead of sanding CA filler off mine. Yours are coming along great! Can't wait to see all of them finished.

• Like 1

I'm laughing at the pictures of the Airfix fuselage next to the other kits, because it's got such a huge amount of filler on it compared to the other ones. And all I could think of was, "Yep, that's the same experience I've had!" :doh:

Actually, that's just field grey paint over the joints which were sanded. It went together quite nicely.

Ah, ok. Well that's good to know, then. I actually had self-inflicted issues with both the upper and lower cowlings on mine. I tried to clip them off the sprues close to flush, couldn't see what I was doing very well, and ended up taking gouges out of both. Other than that, I felt like it was pretty decent. Mr. Surfacer 500 worked on the wing roots and fuselage seams easily enough but I had to use CA to fix the cowlings.

*EDIT: Oh, I meant to ask ... what material are you using to cover your cockpits there? It doesn't look like foam or tissue. Just curious!

Edited by caszerino
  • Like 1

Ah, ok. Well that's good to know, then. I actually had self-inflicted issues with both the upper and lower cowlings on mine. I tried to clip them off the sprues close to flush, couldn't see what I was doing very well, and ended up taking gouges out of both.

nodnodnod I do that all the time! :banghead:

Oh, I meant to ask ... what material are you using to cover your cockpits there? It doesn't look like foam or tissue. Just curious!

They are stuffed with tissue paper and sealed with Copydex. Copydex is a latex adhesive which is ideal for this sort of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copydex

• Like 1

If you can get hold of it, Copydex has lots of uses. I use it as a masking fluid for large areas. Although it can be quite expensive, it is still far cheaper than modelling masking fluid. I also use it to attach paper masks when I'm spraying camouflage. If you use it in the centre of the mask, the edges tend to vibrate in the spray, leaving a slightly soft edge.

Unsurprisingly, it's not available in the US. I can order it from the UK for ~$16-20 shipped for 125mL. I'm thinking "rubber cement" is the same thing, so I'll probably get some Best-Test or Elmer's rubber cement and try that out. If it doesn't work, no big deal. That's the beauty of rubber cement, it peels right off! And I do already have the Micro Scale liquid mask, and you're right, even Copydex from UK is cheaper than that by volume!

Edited by caszerino
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A minor catch-up.

All models sprayed with Xtracrylix XA-1009 Middle Stone

004.jpg

The Tomahawk is masked ready for spraying the Dark Earth.

T-004.jpg

I took the instructions from the Xtradecal sheet and photocopied them so that they were the right size to be used as masks. The masks were stuck on with Copydex.

More over the weekend.

• Like 2