Somalia - Trumpeter 1/72 Ilyushin Il-28

... my pleasure.

By accident, the DVD with Il-28-photos was the first I pulled out of storage, so here some details for the start (with the note that 'exponates' on that 'display' included that famous 'semi-circled row of Il-28s' parked at al-Taqqaddum AB and exposed to elements since up to 20 years, and thus sometimes it's really hard to gauge specific details):

...from nose towards the rear....

Navigator's/Bombardier's 'tube':

- any 'metall walls', including fairings around various instruments, around radios and other avionics: dark green (but very dark green, so dark, it's almost black)

... but, apprently, top sides of all the same elements appear to have been painted black!

- all installations (there were really plenty of pipes, tubes and cables hanging all over the place): left in their 'natural/original' colour, i.e. there were even cables painted red and others white, blue etc.

- there were few areas around ejection seat 'jacketed' or 'cladded' in... no clue how to explain this, my English is not good enough for that... 'textile cladding'...'quilt'? Whatever you call this, this was in black.

- bomber's sight: black (not really 'gun metall' as sometimes described)

Cockpit (just climbed atop the plane, took a 'ride' on the fairing and shot two photos 'downwards'):

- all the walls and fairings were in dark green (apparently the same shade as above), the flour and even the control column too (and oh boy, the latter was quite big, and 'Spitfire-style' in shape)!

- but ejection seat was in 'natural metall overall' (with black handles, of course) - head- and back-rests were missing... while 'rails' for for them were in yellow primer

Bomb-bay

- front and rear wall: yellow primer

- top: hard to gauge...this was anything from yellow via brown to black...

- sides: green (really just 'green')... that is: side-walls... the rest was in very different colours, as described below

- various piping and bottles: black

- bomb hoists and similar parts: left in 'natural metall' (though it could be that 'rails' on wall-sides were actually greased with black fat)

- inside of bomb-bay doors: yellow primer (this surprised me, really)

*Gunner's tube (at the rear)...didn't really trust myself to climb inside (and frankly: no clue how the gunner was doing that either)...so 'just took a look around'...

- the entire place was cladded in 'that' textile: flour was covered in anti-skid 'rubber', of course all of this in black; guess this place, de-facto in between two engines, was quite noisy...

- as far as 'cladding' was missing (and most of it was not there any more), ceiling and window-frames were painted in black, the rest (as far as not cladded) in dark green

- sight was painted black too.

I'll e-mail you a few photos too (there are really almost too many of them to share them all), but hope this is of some use too.

• Like 1

Thank you, Tom! Thorough as always. This has simply confirmed my suspicions that these aircraft were anything but "standardized" between operators. Which is actually a good thing, as it gives me substantial artistic license with my Somali example which, as you say, would likely have been re-fitted at least twice through the hands of various operators and then had parts replaced through maintenance from Chinese technicians who would've been using parts from Harbin (post-Ogaden, anyway).

The "cladding/quilt" as you mention is something giving me pause for sure. I'm not sure whether to try coating the interior in bare metal foil and scribing it in a pattern with a toothpick or trying to use something like Milliput. It may just not be realistic to try to replicate this in a timely fashion. We'll see when we get there, which will be fairly soon.

Starting a new job this week (was supposed to be last week, but that's a story for another time), so things will likely slow down quite a bit mid-week, but I think progress will be somewhat steady as I will have something to look forward to doing after work!

For the quilting look at some paper towels or napkins. Good chance you can find something that will work. Then just coat with white glue/water mix and paint as normal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, Tom, this became a casualty of the dreaded "real life". This new job, while I like it, keeps me very busy! Eventually I will build this, but it won't be for the LBAF GB, alas. I'll have a mod move it out of the GB subforum into the main WIP forum when I finally get started on it, but that won't be until after I move, so probably early 2016. I want to do it justice!

I might try to do the Trumpeter Mi-8 as the C.C.72 (I think it was something like that) but it was a lot more complex than I expected. Still, I may have a bash at it this weekend! I like doing things right, however, not quickly. Probably going to just lurk and watch everyone else's fantastic work for the rest of the year. All of the modelling gear and the stash is going to have to go into storage later this month, anyway! :(

**EDIT: Oh, and that saw I posted in my previous post was garbage. Caveat emptor! What did I expect for $7 from Hong Kong? I have since purchased the UMM-USA 20th Anniversary edition saw ... night and day difference!

Edited by caszerino

Oh that's a pity Casz, but quite understandable.

If it's OK with you then, I will release Somalia back into the pool just in case anyone else fancies picking it up for a quick build.

Cheers

Cliff

Yup, pity. I was very much looking forward for your Il-28. That said, I can perfectly understand that a new job is taking absolute priority.

I remain curious about your Ilyushin, of course, and will be monitoring its development. ;-)

Sorry to hear that you have had to drop out Cas, I was really looking forward to seeing it.

Send me a PM when you start it up again in the WIP section and I shall watch with interest to see how she turns out. Life does have a way of getting in the way of our modelling doesn't it, most unfair I think.

Craig.

Thanks, lads. Just felt like it was better to stop until I was back in a situation where I could really get myself into it than try to do a rush job with a less than ideal setup. For example, this aircraft needs to be NMF. And I have lots of Alclad II paints. But I don't have a window that opens properly in my modelling room, so I'm very, very hesitant to use Alclad or any enamels. Stuff like that. So I will exercise a bit of patience for once in my life and wait until I move this autumn, but I probably won't have things setup for modelling again until early next year. That's just how it goes sometimes. :weep:

• Like 1