P-59 Detail Sets for Hobbycraft Kit

castlegaiden

Hello!

I'm working on a full detail set for the Hobbycraft kit that I own ... will be making copies that will be for sale eventually ;-)

Right now, wrapping up the cockpit then working my way to the gun bay and landing gear. Haven't decided if I will do the engine set. If there is enough demand, I will make the commitment.

More photos are available on my site, the Model Cave

10915184_900697723303091_703495345292488

Cockpit_Rendering_Instrument_Panel_2.jpg

tranceiver_2.jpg

Cockpit_Rendering_Instrument_Panel_3.jpg

Edited by castlegaiden
  • Like 1

Thank you!!

I am planning to complete the radio compartment today then start work on the gun bays. Will post some more progress pics/renderings and also the parts themselves

I've long had the intention of making an intake/engine set one day, but it's some way down on my priority list so I don't think this will happen any time soon. If you "get there first" I'll happily abandon those plans and buy yours! I have the Cutting Edge cockpit set, so I'm intrigued to compare it to yours. Good luck!

Out of interest: How did you re-create the exact kit fuselage cavity in your CAD? Do you have a 3D scanner? I'd think that measuring would be extremely difficult on a complexly curved surface...Or did you scratch build multiple bulkheads and then traced those? For flat (2D) curves from kits I just put the part on a flatbed scanner and then size and trace the image in the CAD, but I haven't figured out how to do that with a curved surface.

Btw., your Envisiontec printer is really top notch and one of the best for our kind of work. The material costs are just extremely high though and the printing process is quite involved/labour intensive (so I'm told). That's why you don't find many print bureaus that have one and the print service of those that do have one is quite expensive compared to other machines.

Cheers

Jeffrey

Hey Jeffrey - thank you for your comments

I did recreate portions of the fuselage so I could engineer the detail sets. I did it the old fashioned way with scans and caliper measurements, though I am considering purchasing the NextEngine scanner down the road to make my life easier. My hopes are that any differences will be small enough to correct with a couple strokes of the sandpaper ... I haven't made a test print of this yet, so we'll see :-) You are correct that it is tough to nail down the complex curves, but I think I am pretty close taking into account the loft parameters that I used.

The EnvisionTec printer is very expensive to purchase and repair, but the normal operating costs are reasonable given the cost of resin and the ability to "hollow" parts. I haven't found the printing process itself to be onerous.

Cheers

www.thescalereview.com

http://modelcave.thescalereview.com/phpBB3/

Edited by castlegaiden

That is a great suggestion, Don - I will design a pair for P-59! I agree that designers and bit makers often overlook them (myself included)

Are there any other a/c that you would like to see these for - happy to take suggestions!

Edited by castlegaiden