MiG-17F and PF Fresco - June 1967 and "war of attrition" 1967-1973 double build + SA-2 guildeline SAM1/48

exdraken

thanks Tom, absolutely great!

do you know if the crowbat insignia was painted on just in black or if it was superimposed on a (white, or yellow, or light blue??) disk?

picture 1 p.172 in Vol1 of Arab MiGs seems a bit like so,..

nevermind

here some progress on the all metal PF (nightfigter, but in 1967 already relegated to day duties)

kit instrument panel...

IMG_6760_1_1_zps3878fd7e.jpg

and cockpit

IMG_6762_1_1_zpse9912734.jpg

better detailed exhaust nozzle

IMG_6763_1_1_zps6a9543e7.jpg

tail with the possibility to pose the airbrakes open!

IMG_6773_1_1_zps7f9752db.jpg

the bottom fin is too short (in the front) by quite some margin --> some plasticcard and superglue will do... (there is also a quickboost solution for this big problem ;))

characteristic nose and intake of the PF

IMG_6778_1_1_zps705dd419.jpg

looses a bit of the elegance of the -F version... my opinion!

IMG_6780_1_1_zps6336b3bb.jpg

Edited by exdraken

thanks Tom, absolutely great!

do you know if the crowbat insignia was painted on just in black or if it was superimposed on a (white, or yellow, or light blue??) disk?

picture 1 p.172 in Vol1 of Arab MiGs seems a bit like so,..

Early on (say 1958-1963 or so), the circle was filled with a white 'background'. But later on this was not applied any more (and none is to be seen on that photo on p.172).

Edited by Tom Cooper

Early on (say 1958-1963 or so), the circle was filled with a white 'background'. But later on this was not applied any more (and none is to be seen on that photo on p.172).

thanks, will take note!

some comparison between the Mig-17F and the MiG-17PF in a similar build state:

IMG_6785_1_1_zpssggmzfuu.jpg

note the much breader nose of the PF in order to house a radar

IMG_6786_1_1_zpsxnbswl7w.jpg

this totally changes the look of the plane !

IMG_6788_1_1_zpss93stbi4.jpg

still without the radar scope in the intake:

IMG_6790_1_1_zpskbt4sk7r.jpg

and another cockpit photo

IMG_6796_1_1_zpsppgcn5wn.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice: good to hear you saved that antenna. BTW, these were always painted in email blue.

Re. photos: that was one of two MiG-17Fs used as decoys at Fayid AB. They were there already since 1968, and never flown. Israelis captured them when they've overrun Fayid AB (which is near the Small Bitter Lake), on 21 October 1973. That photo came into being several weeks later.

Its camo pattern was not 'genuine', though the serial was 'original'.

• Like 2

I think I'm late, but about the bang seat, avoid at all cost Pavla's production.

Cast is very rough, not very precise, and my own copy showed lack of mater at some place.

Good luck with hobbyboss, my first attempt with their -17F is now at the bottom of the trash can.

• Like 1

I think I'm late, but about the bang seat, avoid at all cost Pavla's production.

Cast is very rough, not very precise, and my own copy showed lack of mater at some place.

Good luck with hobbyboss, my first attempt with their -17F is now at the bottom of the trash can.

thanks for the heads up!

information is always appriciated!

for the F version I will use the Neomega seat shown above which is very nice and accurate caomparing it with photos. For the Hobbyboss PF kit I ordered the Quickboost version. let's seen and compare :)

as you can see the hPF went together reasonably well, part fit is exceptional in my opinion! maybe the nose construction is a bit fiddly as it is build up of many subconstructions (cockpit, intake, intake ring, lower fuslage part, upper fuselage insert and the 2 main parts.... and the wings ;) )

so lots of dry fitting and then I glued a lot together at once..... it worked quite well

got the quickboost seat today,

apart from some postal damage, I used the Xacto knife for some refinements on the armrests. they were quite poor compared to the Neomega offering.

the seats are different, especially the head rest is smaller on the quickboost seat!

IMG_6838_1_1_zpse6ezj9hq.jpg

IMG_6840__1_zpstbw7cklc.jpg

Edited by exdraken

Mig-17F with silver primer and crude pre-shading, and wheels form Aires

IMG_6846_1_1_zpsgd0xcxez.jpg

another comparison:

from the left: Smer, Neomega, Quickboost

IMG_6853_1_1_zps4nlgggpr.jpg

PF with with some primer, ready for the gloss black ;)

IMG_6855_1_1_zpsg3so65j0.jpgIMG_6856_1_1_zpsd7dzgan7.jpg

Edited by exdraken

slow progress due to other commitments...

IMG_6811_1_1_zpsi1mjquv0.jpg

crude silver priming for later camouflage

There was quite a lot of paint chipping on these MiGs. Especially so along joints of different pannels (and then foremost around the pannel covering the avionics bay, right in front of the cockpit).

Thus, silver primer is always a good choice.

another comparison:

from the left: Smer, Neomega, Quickboost

IMG_6853_1_1_zps4nlgggpr.jpg

Very interesting comparison!

...and looking at photos of 'original'.

- Smer's is simply junk: forget it.

- Neomega's: best position of head-rest (and thus the proper height), but the two 'wings' behind 'shoulder-rest' and some other parts are too thick. Excellent work on the 'tube' (for parachute on which pilot was seating).

- Quickboost: very nice detailing, but overall looks like the older variant, i.e. that used on MiG-15, to me. Even then, the head-rest is much too low.

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 1

Very interesting comparison!

...and looking at photos of 'original'.

- Smer's is simply junk: forget it.

- Neomega's: best position of head-rest (and thus the proper height), but the two 'wings' behind 'shoulder-rest' and some other parts are too thick. Excellent work on the 'tube' (for parachute on which pilot was seating).

- Quickboost: very nice detailing, but overall looks like the older variant, i.e. that used on MiG-15, to me. Even then, the head-rest is much too low.

yeah, that's what I am thinking more or less!

the quickboost seat needed quite some scalpel knife work though on the armrests and side structure.. as dieliverd you wold not have called it that detailed!

the "wings" are sheet metal parts on the real seat...

here is what I have found

http://www.network54.com/Forum/615009/thread/1370249841/Asientos+para+Shenyang+FT-6+a+1-48.

SM-2_Ejection_Seat_MiG-15_Mig-17_36862_z

http://fotelkatapultowy.pl/Fotel%20KS-2/Opis/Opis.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gin_tonic/9031400148/in/photostream/lightbox/

some photos show the seat with the parachute pack at the bottom, some without.... and aslo the seat belt aranement is more complete on some of them!

the Smer kit is ok only size wise! but that would be at least something, no? I more and more come to the conclusions that lets say 2 years ago kit manufacturers cared more about general shape accuracy than today! That's true for most Monogram kits, which although now outdated in detailing and panel line quality by modern toolings, still show a nice outline and really good shapes of the aircraft! Similar things can be said about KP/ Kopro Su-7, -17 and -25 kits and I think the Smer Su-17 also qualifies!

so, enough words spent ;)

more photos and off to the work-bench again!

black glossy primer ant he PF:

IMG_7039_1_1_zpshsfpsoai.jpg

IMG_7041_1_1_zps0fu0ribt.jpg

grey - blue camouflage on the -F

IMG_7049_1_1_zpsdurncgsk.jpg

IMG_7054__1_zpsmot8lg1h.jpg

make together this here:

IMG_7060_1_1_zpsjafn3jba.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert (but Tom is, and I'm sure he'll weigh in) but that looks pretty close to me! I've got an Eduard MiG-15 on its way to me from Latvia, so hopefully I can use this thread for reference when it arrives! ;)

• Like 1

Sry, Draken: haven't seen your post before.

But, you're doing great without me, anyway: your 'yellow sand' is simply excellent.

(And special thanks for photos in 'daylight': they are the best to help gauge the correct colour!)

Edited by Tom Cooper

Hey, all looking good from here! Lovely work especially the Smer - I've got that on the Shelf of D, awaiting (yet more) filling - this may just motivate me to crack on!

Take care,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

some small , but late update ;)

camo demaarkation lines set:

this is supposed to be a two tone , pre-nile valley one!

IMG_7295_1_1_zpsmlmubgow.jpg

IMG_7299_1_1_zpsnlfohlu3.jpg

it is loosely based on available photographs and artworks... as no two machines were the same, my version will be hard to contest... ;), let's wait and see!

IMG_7301_1_1_zpsyoctgxec.jpg

and as I am advancing at that enoumous pace,

I think I will throw in the main air defence weapon of Egypt at that time , the SA-75/ SA-2 longe range air defence missile

IMG_7302_1_1_zpshyob6rz8.jpg

it is a nice resin kit, more on that later!

• Like 3

some small , but late update ;)

camo demaarkation lines set:

this is supposed to be a two tone , pre-nile valley one!

IMG_7299_1_1_zpsnlfohlu3.jpg

it is loosely based on available photographs and artworks... as no two machines were the same, my version will be hard to contest... ;), let's wait and see!

IMG_7301_1_1_zpsyoctgxec.jpg

Gauging by your description and this photo, I would say you're aiming for someting like 2983 (Arab MiGs Vol.4, artwork at the bottom of page 236)?

If so, your masking is 'right on mark'. This was one of only a few of UARAF MiG-17Fs to receive a camo pattern in Dark Earth. Means: getting the right colour shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy painting that little beauty!

• Like 1