MiG-17F and PF Fresco - June 1967 and "war of attrition" 1967-1973 double build + SA-2 guildeline SAM1/48

exdraken

yea something like this 2983 ?? was on my mind

interestingly they still wore this scheme in the 73 war... already with the Eagle of Saladin

not sure if it turned out too green, or too dark...

IMG_7348_1_1_zpsgjvfwiwq.jpg

IMG_7347_1_1_zpsmc49nny2.jpg

IMG_7365_1_1_zpsu8tmrmvl.jpg

IMG_7368_1_1_zpsr9qkqacn.jpg

remove the masking and call i done or not? ;)

• Like 1

It's perfect. Really good eye - and work there, nothing else.

(And don't worry about the colour appearing 'too dark': my artwork is showing that aircraft in 'well-weathered' condition.)

EDIT: and once again, special thanks for taking your photos outside...that helps so much - although I've got no trace of clue where have you found any sun today in this part of Austria... :P

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 1

EDIT: and once again, special thanks for taking your photos outside...that helps so much - although I've got no trace of clue where have you found any sun today in this part of Austria... :P

lets see how it turns out , when the masks are off..

the thing of the sun is a magic little trick....(took the photo already yesterday... the first three in morning light, the last one as maybe can be assumed for the red touch just before sunset... )

no sun today, no progress today....

You can leave some of spots where they are: these aircraft were camouflaged in a rush, and without application of varnish beneath camo colours. There were lots of 'unclean' spots (or at least very 'soft' borders), colour peeling, and then plenty of wear (not to talk about merciless sand and sun of Egypt).

BTW - and like expected - colour is simply excellent.

• Like 1

Blimey, lovely! Nasser himself would be proud of those paint jobs! I love the cloudy background, I feel like I'm in the sky with the lads!

• Like 1

so,..

the PF was nearly forgotten..

received its first aluminum coat yesterday:

IMG_7388_1_1_zpsuuatwugu.jpg

IMG_7396_1_1_zps9itmjbuh.jpg

IMG_7392_1_1_zpsno5yayno.jpg

IMG_7399_1_1_zps1uisztkr.jpg

IMG_7394_1_1_zpsp9kwndbi.jpg

IMG_7395_1_1_zps5usutsmp.jpg

I used Humbrol Metal Cote, really fond of this range, but hard to get here in Austria!

some work still to do!

• Like 1

Awesome looking MiGs. I'm following this with great interest. I like where you're going with the markings, couldn't have chosen better..

I must bookmark this for real, with all the work you did and Tom's info, it's really useful...

Edited by vesthepes

IMG_7395_1_1_zps5usutsmp.jpg

I used Humbrol Metal Cote, really fond of this range, but hard to get here in Austria!

some work still to do!

Very nice.

This one is going to need some additional paint, 'though'. For example:

- Air brakes were coloured in something like 'silver-blue', i.e. they were made of steel and thus their appearance was slightly darker, and bluish, in comparison to the rest of the aircraft.

- Various covers, or 'access panels' were also slightly darker than surrounding.

I think that the colour of flaps and intakes was slightly different too... but I'm not sure, so have to check.

I'll drop you another e-mail with few reference photos this afternoon.

• Like 1

Very nice.

This one is going to need some additional paint, 'though'. For example:

- Air brakes were coloured in something like 'silver-blue', i.e. they were made of steel and thus their appearance was slightly darker, and bluish, in comparison to the rest of the aircraft.

- Various covers, or 'access panels' were also slightly darker than surrounding.

I think that the colour of flaps and intakes was slightly different too... but I'm not sure, so have to check.

I'll drop you another e-mail with few reference photos this afternoon.

yeah, that's why it was called "first aluminum coat "

I just painted e.g. airbrakes darker, but please let the paint dry first before I take photos!

one interesting area is the forward lower part where the guns are situated! this part also looks darker on nearly all photos!

thanks!

several access panels, control surfaces and airbrakes with different shades:

IMG_7407_1_1_zpsxxy2luj4.jpg

IMG_7409_1_1_zps7lljnwhb.jpg

IMG_7401_1_1_zpss0wo6fqy.jpg

the airbrakes seem to be still too light! another coat! ;)

weathering still missing as well for the time being!

the radom parts will be in some kind of blue-grey-green...

the flap interiors will be painted in dirt and grey, same as the wheel wells

Tom also alerted me on wing walk ways painted in grey between fuselage and first wing fence! Thanks!

...'subtle'... excellent work, Draken.

Re. walkways: keep in mind they were covering the wing-fuselage joint too. Width was something like 'slightly wider than half the way to the first wing fence'.

On quite a few aircraft (but by far not always), their front end was along this oblique/slant wing pannel (connecting wing root with leading edge), so that there was kind of 'silver triangle' in front of them.

so, some more paintwork done:

hope its not exaggerated now!

IMG_7413_1_1_zps31nixwwu.jpg

IMG_7415_1_1_zpsvqaotsnu.jpg

hmm the MiG-17F might have the nicer lines, but actually this one also starts to grow on me!

IMG_7420_1_1_zpsjy99e0mq.jpg

• Like 1

It's perfect, really. Not a touch more, please!

That is: except you want to weather her as by June 1967?

If not, I would really recommend adding that white background for the unit insignia: that's gonna make her 'flashy' too.

• Like 1

slowly approaching other details...

got another set of wheels last week, so here a comparison if someone is interested and wants to make up his mind on which ones to buy!

apart from the ciro models wheels all wheel hubs are painted already!

IMG_7470_1_1_zpswnstywzq.jpg

the Smer wheels seem to represent a different rim... the rest looks to be the same!

Hobbyboss has strange? radial grooves, Aires has the nicest brake detail... imo!

Great progress exdraken! envious of your smooth paint jobs.

Keep it coming

Matt

• Like 1

Great progress exdraken! envious of your smooth paint jobs.

Keep it coming

Matt

thanks for the flowers,

but there are definitely better paint-jobs out there!

here some bombs (250 kg and 50 kg (the very small ones))

from left to right:

Advanced modelling resin FAB-250, Trumpeter FAB-250 (different type obviously) Eduard FAB-50 and again Fab 250 (too modern for 1973 / and or Czech type?)

IMG_7477_1_1_zpsxws4fzag.jpg

and progress on the ejection seats Neomega and Aires (modified a bit by now...)

most probably I will use either AM or Trumpeter ones :) color is as on many russian ordnance some blueish gray... if Egyptian ones would more likely be olive green, hard to tell ;)

Edited by exdraken

here some bombs (250 kg and 50 kg (the very small ones))

from left to right:

Advanced modelling resin FAB-250, Trumpeter FAB-250 (different type obviously) Eduard FAB-50 and again Fab 250 (too modern for 1973 / and or Czech type?)

They're resembling different types, indeed:

- Advanced modelling: FAB-250M-54 (high-pressure bomb casings, made for supersonic aircraft)

- Trumpeter: FAB-250M-46 (low-pressure bomb casings, made for subsonic aircraft)

- Eduard: FAB-50 (from M-54 series)

- Eduard: 'modern' FAB-250.... you mean something like FAB-250M-62?

Sorry, not really. Front part looks like taken from napalm tanks of the ZAB-series. Rear part is uncrecognizable. But, FAB-250M-62s were still very rare as of 1973, and if at all, 'reserved' for Su-7s (it's possible that some were deployed by Egyptian Su-17s and/or Syrian Su-20s too, but I haven't found any participant recalling this).

The only of these used on EAF MiG-17 were FAB-250M-46 and FAB-50s. Colour was either that 'rather dirty', 'light blue-green', for Soviet-manufactured modells; or dark green - for examples manufactured in Egypt (under designations like Kaakaa-50 and Kaakaa-250; BTW, Egyptians developed a variant of the Kaakaa-250 with retarding fins similar to those of the Mk.12 Snakeye system).

• Like 1

They're resembling different types, indeed:

- Advanced modelling: FAB-250M-54 (high-pressure bomb casings, made for supersonic aircraft)

- Trumpeter: FAB-250M-46 (low-pressure bomb casings, made for subsonic aircraft)

- Eduard: FAB-50 (from M-54 series)

- Eduard: 'modern' FAB-250.... you mean something like FAB-250M-62?

Sorry, not really. Front part looks like taken from napalm tanks of the ZAB-series. Rear part is uncrecognizable. But, FAB-250M-62s were still very rare as of 1973, and if at all, 'reserved' for Su-7s (it's possible that some were deployed by Egyptian Su-17s and/or Syrian Su-20s too, but I haven't found any participant recalling this).

The only of these used on EAF MiG-17 were FAB-250M-46 and FAB-50s. Colour was either that 'rather dirty', 'light blue-green', for Soviet-manufactured modells; or dark green - for examples manufactured in Egypt (under designations like Kaakaa-50 and Kaakaa-250; BTW, Egyptians developed a variant of the Kaakaa-250 with retarding fins similar to those of the Mk.12 Snakeye system).

thanks for this detailed update!

first time I start to understand these bomb designations and differences!

:) :)

some update on the PF:

no sun, sorry! ;)

• walk ways added (with some scratch marks)
  • black Identification stripes added,
  • blueish green radar nose painted
  • gloss coated

IMG_7505_1_1_zpsiytjk083.jpg

IMG_7517_1_1_zpstijysmj2.jpg

"in flight"

IMG_7512_1_1_zpsyvwuycfq.jpg

IMG_7511_1_1_zpswvrli4cv.jpg

IMG_7507_1_1_zpskkpfpz4o.jpg

IMG_7520_1_1_zpsdwxan7na.jpg

greetings, Werner

• Like 2

so roundels and flags on :)

hopefully in the corect size, especially the flags were retrimmed considerably in order to get more or less quadratic ones...

IMG_7547_1_1_zpsaqxdyzum.jpg

no I need some help with the possible serial numbers!

the PF needs very small ones below the canopy,

the F bigger ones, same style I suppose.

which serial range can I choose from?

Tom maybe??

thanks!

so, better photos in daylight and sun :)

IMG_7549_1_1_zps9twmuvuj.jpg

the Hawk of Quraish is from the Hi-Decals sheet, as far as I know the only one with the correct "bird= hawk" with black outline ... the Smer example would be an option, but is quite "basic" the one from Iliad design is more appropriate for a Syrian aircraft, as is the one from expert choice.

All? other Egyptian flags with a "bird" show the much later Eagle of Saladin which came into use from 1979.

The flags themselves seems to be quite quadratic in shape, unlike all the available decals, so I cut them....

IMG_7546_22_zpseqxm6lpa.jpg

on the left the UARAF flag cut from a, Iraqi one for the Su-24 Fencer from Begemont , and on the left the aforementioned Hi decals ones.

roundel come from Hi decal and Begemont respectively (this time for the Syrian Fencer) as well. the Begemont decals have the nicest (IMHO) and brightest green stars,... that is why..... Some photos of Egyption MiGs show very small stars, some very big ones! I chose the big stars!

IMG_7563_1_1_zpsnwfy5zeq.jpg

IMG_7561_1_1_zpswltnwq8v.jpg

IMG_7574_1_1_zpszbjmqyhz.jpg

IMG_7580_1_1_zps3g5qpkan.jpg

IMG_7569_14_1_zpsg5jl8oet.jpg

quite colorful this "dream-pair", no? ;)

will be even more so!

the decal paper for the batcrow unit insignia is on the way, so I am preparing for my first decal printing experience :) the supposedly white background will be painted extra I suppose...

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2