Airfix Blenheim Gun Turrets - Question

A30_737_AEW&C

Gentlemen,

I have a couple of both the Airfix Blenheim Mk. I and Mk. IVF kits underway ATM.

One aspect of the Blenheim kit I am unsure of is the dorsal gun turret options offered in the kit. I understand the single and double gun turret options and when the double gun option was introduced into service.

What is unclear is whether the two clear parts - G3 & G6 (Mk. I sprues) and G3 & G4 (Mk. IVF sprues) simply reflect the stowed/deployed turret option, or is there a 'different' turret option for the Mk. I for example ? Many side profiles included either in books on the Blenheim or in aftermarket decals I have almost always illustrate the short squat turret. I suspect this is purely reflecting the 'artistic licence' adopted by the illustrators ?

Many thanks,

Edited by A30_737_AEW&C

You have it. One part is the turret deployed/raised and the other for it stowed/ lowered.

Many profile artists do not know the intricacies of what they draw; they might have just drawn from a picture not knowing that the turret can be raised and lowered.

Many thanks good Sir Knight ;)

I suspected as much regarding the drawn profiles. I guess it's something anyone with CG drawiing skills can master, even if they are a bit 'raw' on the subject.

Edited by A30_737_AEW&C

Gentlemen,

I have a couple of both the Airfix Blenheim Mk. I and Mk. IVF kits underway ATM.

One aspect of the Blenheim kit I am unsure of is the dorsal gun turret options offered in the kit. I understand the single and double gun turret options and when the double gun option was introduced into service.

What is unclear is whether the two clear parts - G3 & G6 (Mk. I sprues) and G3 & G4 (Mk. IVF sprues) simply reflect the stowed/deployed turret option, or is there a 'different' turret option for the Mk. I for example ? Many side profiles included either in books on the Blenheim or in aftermarket decals I have almost always illustrate the short squat turret. I suspect this is purely reflecting the 'artistic licence' adopted by the illustrators ?

Many thanks,

The Blenheim was fitted with one turret type in its career, the Bristol BI.

Saying that there were different variants of this turret. They are:

BI Mk I (Early Blenheim mk I only) 1x Lewis Gun

BI Mk IE 1x VGO.

BI MkII 1x VGO

BI Mk IIIA 2x VGO

BI MkIV 2x Browning

There was only very minor changes to the perspex on these variants all could be seen in the raised and lowered position as depicted in the kit.

Selwyn

• 4 weeks later...

The Blenheim was fitted with one turret type in its career, the Bristol BI.

Saying that there were different variants of this turret. They are:

BI Mk I (Early Blenheim mk I only) 1x Lewis Gun

BI Mk IE 1x VGO.

BI MkII 1x VGO

BI Mk IIIA 2x VGO

BI MkIV 2x Browning

There was only very minor changes to the perspex on these variants all could be seen in the raised and lowered position as depicted in the kit.

Selwyn

Interesting info, Selwyn. Far East Blenheim MkIs were upgraded with 2 guns in the turret. It would be interesting to know whether they were fitted with a later turret or if it was a local modification of the existing turret. I'm guessing we'll never know for sure...

Cheers,

Mark

Interesting info, Selwyn. Far East Blenheim MkIs were upgraded with 2 guns in the turret. It would be interesting to know whether they were fitted with a later turret or if it was a local modification of the existing turret. I'm guessing we'll never know for sure...

Cheers,

Mark

Probably an official modification to an existing turret.

Selwyn