EE Lightning F2, 92 Sqdn., 1/48th scale

Here is a completion of mine from 2012. This is the Lightning F2A, built from the Airfix kit. I bought the kit and started it in 1998 when it first came out, but got stalled on it. I pulled it back off the shelf when I got the Eduard/Airfix reissue of the F1A/F2 as a review build for Modeling Madness. I was going to finish both kits concurrently, but ran into paint problems with the F2, so it got finished later.

The kit recieved a Cutting Edge resin cockpit, but is otherwise stock.

photo-443_zps599a35ec.jpg

The NMF finish is Alclad II Aluminum. For the polished intake ring, I used Alclad Polished Aluminum over a base of Floquil CSX Black.

photo-441_zpsbf8751ee.jpg

The blue on the spine and tail is Xtracolor British Airways World Scheme Blue, which is a very close match to RAF Roundel Blue.

photo-440_zpsd43a7aa2.jpg

Squadron markings and roundels are by Cutting Edge, with stencils and walkways from Barracudacals.

photo-442_zps90d5362e.jpg

For the gun openings, I used the smooth plates intended for the F3, and carefully drilled out the openings using a dental burr. The pucker factor was sky-high for this, but it worked, and they look much better than the poor kit offerings. (ASIDE: why hasn't some resin maker done good gun troughs for this model?)

Andy

Sarasota, FL

• Like 17

Very nice indeed,Andy. I live only a couple of miles from where this aircraft was based; I've heard a few 'senior' locals speak fondly of the times when Lightnings were a regular sight here, but I bet the population was less enthusiastic during those midnight QRA scrambles!

Jon

Beautiful Lightning!

Nice contrast on the silver finishes.

cheers,

Jim