War Thunder

Commontsar

So...does anyone here play War Thunder? I find it to be the most fun I've had in a long time on a Combat Flight Sim. Even my partner plays it! It's pretty, features a huge amount of aircraft, and it's free to play. There are a few aircraft you can pay for (like the D520 for example) but you don't have to have them. They go from just before WW2 right up to 1950s really...and they're constantly adding new aircraft. It's awesome.

Some of my own personal screenshots.

16113571277_c145abd704_b.jpg

16112054820_71036b6a15_b.jpg

16113290789_e5c8e4d0ea_b.jpg

16113482069_0c22c9eabb_b.jpg

Edited by Commontsar
  • Like 1

Interesting.

I'm considering ditching World of Tanks. Maybe a flight sim would be a nice change.

I'll have a looks, cheers for that chap.

War Thunder has just added tanks for US, USSR, and Germany. With more to come! You can do land/air battles, and eventually navy will be there too.

Honestly, War Thunder is amazing.

If anyone wants to add me I'm Common Tsar on there (might be commontsar) and I'm on a few times a week. I play Germany (though lower tier, as even though i';m up to teir 3 I love my Italian beauts) and Britain (nearly tier 4 now).

I'll add some Screenshots on here soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a thought on warthunder if your not aiming for realism its fine. but its little more the the shapes of the planes on arcade and realistic. and i doubt that sim would be any better.

For realism the DCS series is fantastic with clickable cockpits and all. and as an L.A.M.E licensed aircraft maintenance engineer in training the systems exists too.

But war thunder tanks in sim are lots of fun.

• 3 months later...

War thunder is an awesome game, I've been playing it now for nearly three years and it's got better and better, yes there are a few bits of it which could be improved but that can be said for any game, I personally prefer arcade battles and realistic for the aviation side of things but like all three modes for ground forces.

I also like World of Tanks but both of these games are brilliant if you like your military games!

My username in Warthunder is: Arrrgee

Rich

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I hope this doesn't count as thread necromancy, but i too am a War Thunder Player! (same gaming handle as my forum username)

The fact it is now cross platform between PS4, PC, and Xbox is great and open up the genre to lots who havent given flight sim/tank combat games a go.  

So, whats happened since the last post in this thread way back in 2015? Around then i think the game was limited to end of ww2, early Korean era.

The game has progressed much further since. For the Ground side of things, MBTs like the T80U and M1A1 are present and Guided Missile vehicles are also in game, such as the BMP, Bradley, Warrior etc.

In terms of aircraft,  whereas previously the tech trees stopped before supersonic aircraft,  we now have Mach 2 capable craft such as  F4 Phantoms and Mig 21's, as well as a slew of earlier 'supersonics' such as the F-100D. There is a whole new Helicopter tech tree, which has Hueys, Cobras, Eurocopters, Mil 28s and more, and finally Navy has released, which currently allows play of small patrol boats up to Destroyer class vessels at this point. Guided Missiles, Radar, and spotting mechanics are also now included.

There have been a number of additional Countries/Nations added to the game too. Originally it was just USA, Germany, USSR, Britan.  In the past few years they have added Japanese, Italian, Chinese, French, and most recently Swedish nations into the lineup. 

The 3 significant differences in realism which have been mentioned before are one of the great things about the game and allows you to play 'how you like'. As i am sat working on the PC most of the day, i love being able to sit down on the sofa, grab the PS4 pad, and zone out for an hour. 

Arcade -  everything flies around like a stunt RC plane or Hot Shots. There is no energy retention in terms of flight maneuvers, you have near infinite ammo, and cannot blackout/redout/tear off your wings in high G maneuvers.  You can lock on to 'targeted' enemies and get a fire marker to accurately lead your cannons/guns. Tanks get a x2 Power/Weight ratio boost so drive around like the latest Fast & Furious movie. Very action orientated, little team-play. Games last 10-15 Mins.

Realistic - much more realistic flight envelope to aircraft. Energy retention and proper fighter tactics are a necessity. Limited to the ammo your plane/tank would be equipped with. No locking onto enemy targets or lead indicators.  Damage is much more damning to a vehicles maneuverability and you can pass out and tear off wings by pushing the plane outside its G-Limits. Much more team play orientated  - Games last 15-30 Mins.

Simulator - The most 'simulator' like mode of the game, available for both ground and air modes. exacting flight mechanics, with torque roll and trimming to consider. No external view and no additional GUI elements. Personally i rarely play this due to the fact you need a mad number of additional key bindings, and i play on PS4 with a pad.  Very Team orientated, often people using Voice Chat extensively, as there is very little way to monitor or distinguish vehicles on the battlefield.

Fundamentally the game is Free To Play and achieves positive revenue by allowing people to pay for either a Premium Account or Premium vehicles.  Premium Accounts give you 200% research bonus and 150% earnings bonus per match, whilst Premium Vehicles tend to be examples of short run or experimental vehicles. In general this works well, as there is no significant 'advantage' for a premium player against a stock one (no Super Duper Premium Shells like other F2p games) 

There are more accurate or realistic games out there, but for the price (£0.00) and for the player-base (25-45,000 active players per day), i don't think much beats it! I was a long standing World Of Tanks, and World Of Warplanes player, but transitioned to War Thunder around 3 years ago and haven't looked back! I tend to find half an hour a day to play, and have probably paid in around £50 over the time i have played, for a couple of unique vehicles ( Ta-154, Dewotine 520, A-26C ) . Frequent competitions and events added into the game by the developers allow you to unlock special or unique planes and vehicles, which does add a bit of fun throughout the year. 

Look forwards to hopefully seeing a couple more forum members giving it a try, and perhaps we shall meet on the battlefield! 

• Like 3

Just joined it myself a couple of weeks ago, and from some initial enjoyment I note that I am now getting a regular a**-whooping from far more experienced gamers!

So, if you should happen to see some flaming wreckage plummeting earthwards with the username Flashheart606, that'll be me :(

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...