Casey's Airfix 1/72 Bf-110E2 Trop

9eQHg23.jpg

Success! E nose restored, lead removed with the help of some small needlenose pliers and a chisel blade, and MG barrels nicely drilled out.

I did, however, destroy the canopy during a masking incident (not physically, but it's not suitable for display now). Somehow I went wrong with the burnishing and ended up cutting squares into the side panes smaller than they should have been. Just going to source a new vacform part, it's not the end of the world. And in the meantime I'll finish the rest of the painting and I should still finish in time! (fingers crossed)

After watching some videos recently I'm going to try a different masking technique and a #23 blade, and if it still doesn't suit me I'm going to try decal strips. That 110 canopy sure is a pain in the bottom with that many individual panes.

**EDIT: I would have to order a canopy from the UK, which might not arrive in time. Inside the US my only choice is to buy another kit (nope), or order a Falcon set of vacforms for six or eight different aircraft which would cost $30 (hell nope). So what I am going to do instead is sand it down and polish it back up! #23 blades ordered and I am going to use a piece of adhesive foil this time instead of the masking tape with which I have had such bad luck. Learning from my mistakes, that's the name of the game!

Edited by caszerino
  • Like 1

I'm going to go ahead and call time on this, I fell short of the mark. Destroying the canopy during the masking incident pretty much sealed it up, because there's no way I can get a replacement before the 1st. I sanded all the detail off and it still has cut marks in it, and doesn't seem to be polishing back up very well (I've used Coarse, Medium, Fine, and Extra Fine sanding sticks, Coarse, Medium, and Fine polishing wheels on my Dremel, and Dremel polishing compound and it still is very very foggy). I can't find a vacform replacement anywhere in the US in 1/72. I've looked.

I don't feel too bad since I had less than a month to do it. Thanks for all the guidance and support on this project, lads, and I'll stick it in RFI when it eventually gets finished!

There is always a KUTA GB coming up to finish failed GB projects... But its tough luck anyway. We have a saying here in Denmark that goes like this. From damage you'll seldom get rich, but wiser. Don't know if it get any meaning for your English speaking crowd

Tough luck Casey, that's how things happen at times. Put it down to experience and learn from it: no experience no matter how good or bad should be a wasted one!

I certainly learned a lot, so I don't feel like it was wasted at all!

What a shame but ihope you get to complete it sometime soon .These G/B dead lines are nice to have as a incentive on one hand but can be a problem when soething doesnt go to plan.

Thanks, mate. I'm not the first one to miss a GB deadline, and I certainly won't be the last (nor will it be the last one I miss, I'm sure!).