Tamiya 1:350 Yamato differences?

Alex SZ1996

i am looking to buy a Tamiya 1:350 Yamato kit, and found the Tamiya 78025 and 78030 sets.

but i need some help to clarify the differences on the sets.

i know the 78030 is a premium edition with some photo etch sets.

both should be the new retooled sets, but i am not 100% sure.

TAM78030_box.jpg

post-1641-0-75422300-1389453775.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex, as above, 78030 is the older kit. 78025 is the new kit which is the complete re-tooling. Beautiful model. Both versions have been built here..

Most recently has been Davetwin with the new tool kit, his thread is near the bottom of the first page of WIP, and the older one by Surfsup listed as HIJMS Yamato in RFI.

Regards,

Jockster.

78025 is the new-tool, whereas 78030 is the old tooling with some new parts added. If money is no object then definitely go for 78025. It's more expensive but it goes together like a dream and is a stunning kit. Well worth the price.

bbudde, on 26 Jan 2015 - 5:48 PM, said:

It depends on the price. 78030 the definitly the old box and I believe its the old kit ( quite sure). If you can, take a look into the box or ask the seller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPkrBvuE80

https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=197440

my local seller dont have it in stock, so i couldnt get a first hand look.

some sellers did put *new tooling* in the their descriptions on 78030 sets, which is a little confusing. but it looks to me, that only the display stand is new in the 78030 set.

Jockster, on 26 Jan 2015 - 7:03 PM, said:

Hi Alex, as above, 78030 is the older kit. 78025 is the new kit which is the complete re-tooling. Beautiful model. Both versions have been built here..

Most recently has been Davetwin with the new tool kit, his thread is near the bottom of the first page of WIP, and the older one by Surfsup listed as HIJMS Yamato in RFI.

Regards,

Jockster.

i did see the build thread by Davetwin's 78025 Yamato, and it was very interesting. but i think i have missed the other

Bobski, on 28 Jan 2015 - 2:40 PM, said:

78025 is the new-tool, whereas 78030 is the old tooling with some new parts added. If money is no object then definitely go for 78025. It's more expensive but it goes together like a dream and is a stunning kit. Well worth the price.

thanks for inputs, the 78025 has been ordered :)

• 4 months later...

i was also looking at this stuck between the 2 as well.

would anyone really notice the difference between the 2 ie my friends and family??

iv seen the 78030 going for £56 and the 78025 for roughly £155

is there a huge difference between the 2 or newer one just made that little bit better?

thanks

From what I can see online the new tool kit looks vastly superior to the old kit and therefore is the much better basis for a good model.

One thing I can't find online, is whether the kit represents Yamato during operation Ten Ichi Go or not. I'm sure the little symbol on the funnel was carried by the ships taking part in Ten Ichi Go but I'm not at home, so I've got none of my references handy.

If it's supposed to be as the ship appeared at Ten Ichi Go, then modifications will need to be done. The wooden decks were stained Black to start with and part of the crane was removed, I'm also sure that she had no single 25mm guns at that time either.

thanks

Mike

i have had the kit checked out, and i could immediately see that is very different from the old Yamato kit. the manual said that it is the version of Yamato appeared in the last mission Ten Go, with all the added anti air gunnery.

The new tool version is a replica of the 1/10 scale model at the Kure museum. It is complete as far as Ten Go, just don't fit the crane mast! The decks were stained black earlier in her career and the black had mostly worn away by the time of Ten Go.

The white chrysanthemum crest on the funnel was added for Ten Go!

The new tool is far more complex than the origin tooling, more care needs to be taken during assembly as the the fit tolerances are much finer! It is a stunning kit!

P.s. Yamato didn't carry any aircraft on the Ten Ichi Go mission!

• Like 1