Entex 1/16 scale auto kits

Mencie

Hi all.

Quite a fan of 1/16 scale kits although my most recent experience with a MPC offering was far from pleasurable!

So, a quick question if I may?

I'm looking at acquiring a couple of Entex kits, the Merc 300SL and the '37 Packard, has anybody any experience of either of these in terms of quality, fit, general accuracy etc. etc.

Oh, if anybody has either they want to offload at a fair price, I may be interested...

Mencie,

This may or may not be helpful; I have experience with the Italeri 300 Gullwing and learned a lot about the Roadster too - if that's what you're referring to.

I believe the Entex and Italeri are the same kits. The Gull has inaccuracies in the shape of the front fenders (major) and the lower rocker panels (minor). The engineering of the interior and Gull doors is very tricky and hard to get right,

The Roadster has major inaccuracies with the shape of the cowl at the screen base and the screen and its frame itself. The engine compartment needs changes and improvements for accuracy. Good reference photos are your best friend.

Here's my Gull as it is today with the body corrected and left to build my big Rolls:

PA310010Small_zps5b3659d7.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Codger, thank you for your input, valuable stuff.

It's a shame the 300SL is a bit of a woofer, I quite fancy that. :( My guess is it's the same as the Minicraft kit or is that different?

Not sure whether to have a crack at it or not, I will have a ponder.

Gotta say yours looks a peach, very much look forward to the next instalment...

I know that the Minicraft has a more detailed chassis than the Italeri, so there are differences between mfgrs right there. Kit bash the two and be patient with the mods and you'll have an exceptional 300.

Doubt there will be a 'next installment'. The Rolls will about consume my remaining lifetime. If you get a Gullwing, I can walk you through the mods if you wish to go that far.

Yes, the Minicraft one looks good although I am aware of fit issues with that.

You probably have the best idea, kit bash the two, I will see what I can get hold of and may well be in touch, thank you again.

• Like 1

I built the Entex Rolls Royce Phantom many years ago and I remember it being a nice kit.

At that time we didn't have the web, so reference was usually the last thing the majority of kit builders thought about unless you had a few books or whatever so whether it was an accurate model, I don't know.

Built well though.

Roy.

I'm pretty sure the Entex 1/16 scale kits were originated by a Japanese company called Gakken and are now sold by Minicraft. I don't think there's any Italeri connection.

Entex was an American company of the 1970s who probably didn't design any kits themselves, but bought them in from various Japanese companies, including Bandai, Fuji, Midori, Nitto and Otaki as well as Gakken.

Hi Richard.

Yes, my extensive research suggests the Gakken / Entex / Minicraft 300SL are all one in the same thing so my logic? Is that if you get an older one, say a Gakken kit, the parts maybe a bit better because the molds were newer at that time.

So, logic or not, that's what I have done, after a hunt around I located a Gakken boxed one here in the UK at a fair price so when it arrives I will dive in and have a go!

• 2 months later...

I have just opened my 1937 PACKARD COUP Roadster.It is 1/16 scale with the Entex label.

The mouldings are branded BANDAI and made in Japan. I was interested in this model as I have just finished the Bentley Blower.

This model appears to be around 1980 by the codeing on the build instructions.

I must say I am very impressed with the mouldings in this large kit. This amount of detail and finish is a surprise to me taking the age into consideration.

I am looking forward to this build......a big decision as to what colour..but that will come later.

Ginger

• Like 1

Just got the Italeri 1/16 Mercedes Benz 300SL Cabrio today which is probably a repackaged Revell 1/16 kit. I haven't found a 1/16 cabrio older than the Revell so anyone know the kit origins? The shell has similarities with the Gakken Gullwing but thats where the similarities end, all the sprues are laid out differently so cannot be based on that kit.

I never knew Revell made one in 1/16th. Interesting. I have the Minicraft Mercedes roadster in my didplay case a friend built as a review piece for one of the modekl car mags. Which MPC kit did you have trouble with, mencie? The 63 Vette and the Cobra are nice kits.