Revell 1/48 F-102

pigsty

I have the Revell version of the Monogram F-102A in 1/48 (stock code 04586). It has the case X wingtips. Did I read somewhere that only one of the decal options is correct for this configuration, and the other should go on a Case XX airframe? Or was I imagining it?

According to Scalemates;

Option 1. 56-1264

Option 2. 55-3419

From IPMS USA "The Case X wings were installed on aircraft with serial numbers from 53-1790 to 56-1316, while serial numbers 56-1317 through 57-0909 had the Case XX wings."

Julien

• Like 1

Thank you Julien! How did I miss that? I checked Scalemates last night.

But ... weren't a lot of earlier F-102s refitted with the Case XX wing? I'm wondering if the actual markings in the kit might apply to those airframes post-modification. Google etc hasn't been much help to me on this.

Interesting. Wings of Fame 17 says

Testing of the Case XX wing began on 28 June 1957 and continued through to November. This wing then became the production standard. The new wing appeared on all F-102s leaving the factory after October 1957, and was retrofitted on all others in operation.

And then another description I found last night suggested much the same, except that some of the oldest airframes weren't converted.

Another case of conflicting references? Ah well, 'twas only an odd idea. If I can't find other decals I like, the kit's schemes are nice enough, and if they're on the wrong type, there's always the what-if defence ...