Gladiator dihedral?

Work In Progress

While there are several sets of Gladiator drawings knocking about the usual sites on the internet, there are none of assured quality (which for me would mean measured, drawn and published by someone of the calibre of Arthur Bentley, Peter Cooke or John Adams) and all of them look a bit, er, speculative in various ways.

Does anyone on here have a documented source for the dihedral angle? I've started a 1/24 scratch-build (don't get too excited, it's only one of those wooden flying things) and while I am happy enough with my outlines I can't find a dihedral angle that I trust.

From 'The Gloster Gladiator' by F. K. Mason, 1964

Gladiator Mk.1; Dihedral, top and bottom wings, 3 degrees, +/- 15 minutes

Gladiator Mk.2: Dihedral, top and bottom wings, 3 degrees

Sea Gladiator; as for Mk.2

hth

F

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the fairly ancient one from Aeromodeller, IIRC by George Cox, may be close, as he would have had to do his drawings either by measuring an original, or by working from Gloster material (which in itself may be dangerous, I know) - there was no airwar.ru to inspire him in those days :coolio:

There are of course the even earlier Aeromodeller ones March 1953 (Sea Gladiator) which again look reasonable. The Cox drawings don't appear to have any immediately jarring issues and are probably the base source for all others around and I wouldn't trust any drawings gleaned from any of the .ru websites unless they're of a Russian subject, as most all of them are pirated copies from else where.

The only place you're going to find rigging data is the AP and that's one I don't have access too,

John

Thanks, John,

For the outlines what I've done in the end is cheat by scanning the new Airfix kit in 2D in high resolution, enlarge to re-scale and trace off that. To me it seems like most accurate small scale reference point available, and of course we know they had abundant access to G-AMRK. It matches my photographs too!

The 3 degree dihedral as quoted by Mason looks right when drawn up so I am using that as a baseline, though I may go to 4 degrees for additional spiral stabillity.

What I'm doing is a teeny weeny free-flight model for the first Old Warden flying scale even of the year in April, so having achieved a sense of scale fidelity I then have to diverge again for practicality and weight. . It's slowly going on over here: a quick scroll to the bottom gets to some thumbnails of the work thus far, and avoids most of my verbiage.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=18396.0

This is from AP1523'The Gladiator Aeroplane', Vol I, 2nd edition, July 1938.

Fig. 75 'Rigging Diagram' gives the following:

Gap on main planes 5ft 3.75in.

Incidence 2deg 30min plus/minus 15min.

Dihedral 3deg plus/minus 15min.

Stagger 27in plus/minus 1/8in.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the scratchbuild.

Tim

That Puss moth is very pretty.

I must dig it out again and cover it. There is a vacformed Gipsy cowl to go on the front. I had a box of 24 prewar Frog gearboxes but they were stolen with some R/C stuff from my works trailer in an attempted burglary a few years ago when I was moving house. I had planned to do all of the Moths in 18th scale.

John