1/72nd Aeroclub SARO Skeeter.....

To dig myself into an even deeper pit with helicopter pilots, I remember what the Hardy Kruger character said to Jimmy Stewart in "The Flight of the Phoenix" (one of my all-time favourite films); "Don't worry Mr. Townes, helicopters don't look very elegant either, but they fly reasonably well."

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Bill, did he even try to dumb it down or was he aware that it was a lost cause and just went for it. imagine that If anyone could explain the vagaries of flying one of these things then someone with his experience could, however there is absolutely no excuse for building model cars no matter how talented a flyer he was.....you have my sincerest sympathies.

I think he deliberately went for the highest tech, craziest jargon-filled explanation he could. I understand the basic concepts, but he would really go into the details, full of USAF acronyms that I didn't know what they stood for. He was having fun with me, as they say. He has a lot of good chopper stories, from delivering a washer and dryer to the San Clemente White House for Mrs. Nixon, to picking up a Navy Phantom driver in Hai Phong harbor who had a life vest that didn't inflate and was treading water with two broken legs. His Jolly Green got shot up many times, but never got shot down.

He runs his own business restoring 1960s American "muscle cars," specializing in Corvettes. It's amazing what they look like when he's finished. 1:1 scale models, really. He's stretching himself right now and restoring an Aston Martin DB6. Never knew how much wood was used in that car. Parts are a bit pricey nowadays...

Back to your model, how many of these Skeeters were sold to the public, and actually used as a mode of transportation?

Cheers,

Gyro Captain

• Like 2

Here's this, tendered for everyone's bemusement. It's got words and pitchers and stuff, too. A lot easier than me writing it out.

http://www.helis.com/howflies/ontheair.php

A friend of mine has described flying a helicopter as like patting your head while rubbing your stomach while tap dancing - all at once!

• Like 2

I have just discovered this thread. I am delighted to see this kit getting hit with some of the General's magic. Great choice of colours scheme too!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Saro_Skeeter_XM564_CFS_X_TH_15.09.62_edited-2.jpg

It looks like nobody is getting into that airfield without a generous splash of day-glo on their airframe.

BM.

• Like 3

I have just discovered this thread. I am delighted to see this kit getting hit with some of the General's magic. Great choice of colours scheme too!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Saro_Skeeter_XM564_CFS_X_TH_15.09.62_edited-2.jpg

It looks like nobody is getting into that airfield without a generous splash of day-glo on their airframe.

BM.

Yes, I was thinking as I saw that photograph, is that the "day-glo" airshow?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Good grief, a veritable cavalcade of misinformation and mindless banter...wonderful, keep it up !

Jason, I've often thought about doing a Stipa myself but only got as far as the loo roll....later in life they strapped four of them onto the wings of a '747 !

Jessica that's a rather tasty build...wonderful looking machine....Jason you on the other hand have no taste...I suppose you think this ugly too !

Not sure what's going on here, a lesson in sartorial elegance.......whether it's the flying machine itself or the packing case it came in !

vedovelli_jan1911_d_1000_PX_zps37a3e22b.

Bill, many stories I'm sure, amazing stuff...can't imagine trying to stay afloat with two broken legs and a soaked full flight kit ! Wow, going from flying Jolly's to restoring muscle cars, way to go !...Corvettes, when I lived in Kent we had a place near a garage in a place that went by the unlikely name of Snodland !, and they specialized in restoring Vettes. Some of the early (70's), stuff looked impressive but the build quality left a fair bit to be desired. DB6's too......where did you say you lived, I'll be contacting the airline as soon as I've finished writing this, mind if the memsahib tows along, she's good for doggy walking, etc...

Parts are a bit pricey nowadays...

Masterful understatement...

BM, thanks, yes it's a bit of a dayglo love in isn't it....still, I guess there's no problem with the aircrew orientating themselves with the airfield during the flying display....

Stephen, no problem, credit where it's due, all great shots....

No modelling today as it's Sunday, so it's a day of rest .......from what I'm not quite sure but we have it anyway...and of course I'm banned from the mancave by the Melchett massif on pain of not partaking in the Sunday roast... :nono:

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

General, firstly I take great offence at the accusation that I don't appreciate beauty in aircraft - as Exhibit No. 1 I give you my undying love for the aethereal beauty known as the Blackburn Blackburn (not to be confused with the Blackburn Blackburd, another divine vision of beauty). Secondly that aeroplane(?) you've posted, if it is indeed a real machine and not just the result of your fevered imagination and Photoshop, is positively magnificent! Shouldn't be hard to scratchbuild out of bits and bobs, as that's obviously what the original designer did. I may be mistaken, but I believe I spy the gearbox from a Ford Prefect in there. I'll have to scrounge around in my parts bin to see if I don't have one of those gearboxes in 1/72nd scale.

Yours, etc.

Jason

• Like 3

Well busy with other things today and nearly knocked off course by this dropping through the post this morning courtesy of a Ukrainian review site.......,....must resist starting it too soon !, (there's to be the whole series of Mikoyan heavy interceptors and I've been looking forward to these monsters ever since they were announced).

DSC_0164_zps8b41ded2.jpg

deer Generul,

I have a solooshun to your worklode problums. Send the kitz to me and I will build them for you and rite about them. You can pretend it was you that done it and we will both be happy. My spellin has always been sed to be without eekwal and my my writin stile 'unlikley to be matched by anyone'

OK Jason, offence duly noted, pinned and lost....If you have a fondness for the magnificent Blackburn Blackburn then I cannnot now fault your taste. The 'aeroplane' , and I use the term loosely here, is in fact the Vedo Villi, (this being the highly efficient second stripped down version as the original was considered too beautiful !), it's marginally deranged Italian designer being carted off to the nearest sanatorium shortly afterwards....

Apparently the aircraft caught sight of itself in the reflection of a passing hangar window and promptly committed suicide by imploding...maybe for the best.

1431189434_7cbcd0c363_z_zps73735b66.jpg

I think the gearbox you espied came from a 1946 Autobianchi Bianchina Trasformabile Special.......anyway it's still on Brighton beach if you want it !

M

• Like 2

Thanks for the more than generous off John, I know how you just love to cuddle these Soviet types but I'm afraid I'll have to decline as I've nearly finished the beggar, (my 'resistance was futal' as certain cube shaped alien life forms would have), though you're more than welcome to the writing side of things....oh and theirz nuffin rong wiv yaw spelin thatt a spelchekar woodn't sawt owt !

Harry Benson's Scram.

Off to war in a Wessex.

A VERY good read.

Your Generalship.

Could you please turn up the heating.

Feeling the chill, a little.

An old rotary (fling wing) homily.

Helicopters do not fly.

They are so ugly, the Earth repels them.

• Like 1

Pete, sorry about the weather, bit beyond even my control though I'll have a look at the old boiler in the morning, (if she'll let me !). The homily is quite apt in a lots of cases but also seems to apply to certain aeroplanes, (see above)...

As for Harry Benson, I shall seek him out on the interweb thingy.........

• Like 1

OK Jason, offence duly noted, pinned and lost....If you have a fondness for the magnificent Blackburn Blackburn then I cannnot now fault your taste. The 'aeroplane' , and I use the term loosely here, is in fact the Vedo Villi, (this being the highly efficient second stripped down version as the original was considered too beautiful !), it's marginally deranged Italian designer being carted off to the nearest sanatorium shortly afterwards....

I think the gearbox you espied came from a 1946 Autobianchi Bianchina Trasformabile Special.......anyway it's still on Brighton beach if you want it !

M

Spoken like a true gentleman, General, regarding my taste in winged thingies! Re the gearbox, it has always been my belief that if you wait around long enough on Brighton beach, everything's eventually going to wash up.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Rob, interesting little article. I must admit to admiring the skills of these heleo types..being in the front seat performing a spot of lookout/map reading/enjoying the view and watching the pilot perform his co ordinated balancing act whilst talking to me at the same time never ceased to amaze. One of our chaps, Graham, a laconic Aussie and former naval Lynx man was particulary good at squeezing the thing into unbelievably small places, avoiding trees, telephone lines, pylons, parked cars etc to get us nearer to the unfortunate victims..he'd then grin at you and say...'that close enough for yer ?' it always was.....other pilots thought the walk would do you good !

If Graham the laconic Aussie came to the RN already qualified as a pilot, there's every chance he learned his trade mustering cattle in the bush. Those guys are crazy, with a capital K. They used to use Bell 47s, now they use Robbo 22s and 44s, and they get into all the small spaces to flush the roughies out.

Here's some video.

And as a note, that bull at the start of the video weighs about twice what the little Robbo does...

• Like 2

Rob G these Aussies are WIMPS. Nothing like the Aussies from "Runnymede Station" - my parents place. I didn't need a helicopter, 4 wheel bike or a 4 wheel drive to take on a cow. Fancy the little poofs playing with it's tail. I did it by myself HEAD ON, no help from anybody else, just me, a small yard and a cow with MAD COWS disease.

Oh by the way I lost full story on page 3 of this WIP.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 1

Great stuff Rob, the R-22 looks great fun to fly, the only thing that I've done that came close to that was in the front seat of an AAC Gazelle at Farnborough over the Aldershot range back in the early eighties with AFV's all over the place rather than cattle !, this time a NZ pilot....same effect though...

Casey, you're obviously quite insane !....and there's nothing wrong with that...

OK back to the Skeeter...remember that ?

The drive shaft and its housing rings...

DSC_0283_zps36d597db.jpg

I've been at the cockpit trying to get the smaller details sorted out and working out where everything goes...

Instrument panel with housings fitted behind. There's more wiring to go on yet and I'll be making up a further front panel for the Airscale dials and glazing later...

DSC_0289_zps228cd8ef.jpg

DSC_0286_zpsc83306ba.jpg

Pilot and observer's 'patio furniture' seats, slightly different........seat bottoms and cushions yet to be added.

DSC_0290_zpsa96aba95.jpg

The side panels now added as well as various ancillary gear added such as the fire extinguisher, centre engine control panel controls, pilots stick and base plate, collective and U/C brake levers, (all yet to be painted). The instrument panel's been wired and fitted...

DSC_0296_zps2ec9dbe1.jpg

And with the garden furniture fitted...tight squeeze but it fits....now what I need to find out is whether the CFS Skeeters had the second stick added as not all versions did ! though I'm guessing that as a flying school machine they almost certainly did and I've made up a second one in anticipation.

DSC_0299_zps7f8e7ee4.jpg

DSC_0300_zps2eb9c74a.jpg

I've also decided to open up the underside panels as the video clips that I have show all operational aircraft to be configured this way........this will mean extra work but at the same time allow easier access to fitting the chassis frame....

Cheers all, :cheers:

Melch...

• Like 7

I am getting very jealous

of

A the lovely 'rightness' of the tiny Skeeter

B you, getting that back out of my grasping clutches at Telford :(

"Dammit ta hail I shudda hung on tighter

dabnammit"

:)

I love the garden furniture Andy excellent stuff

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Thanks chaps, appreciated as always,

Bill...........you're first mistake was getting caught and your second..............not making more of a fight of it ! :boxing: ..... I know what you mean about the rightness of the thing, when I saw it at Newark I felt that no one would miss it if I slipped it into my coat pocket, (I made the mistake of leaning against it and nearly knocked the thing over !!)..

Cute isn't it.......(the dope covered rotors are on the floor, the dope taking the photo and the canopy lid somewhere else !).

DSC_0223_zps068e01df.jpg

Colin thanks, it's just a matter of taking your time and planning where everything should go, after that it's about looking around the 'cave' for any bits to use...

Steve, thanks, the floor was airbrushed using Tamiya NATO black with a drop of IJN grey and a light cross mist of grey/green, the side walls NATO black with a dash of Gunze RAF medium sea grey then the rear bulkhead Tamiya rubber black mixed with RAF dark sea grey. The panel centres are then sprayed with a lightened version of the base colour. A wash of raw umber oils followed then the whole lot was then given a coat of Vallejo semi matt varnish and dry brushed using Gunze neutral grey. The photos don't really show the variations that well but in the flesh it does have far more tone to break up the monotony of the 'black'. Great thing about uber clear vac canopies is that all the extra work isn't wasted It's pretty much the same technique I use for the underside of RAF WWII bombers. In case you thinking 'what a faff', well I s'pose it is really but that's what I enjoy doing, I've never been the 'rush to get it finished type' as you may have noticed, mind you I think going by your JP builds you're pretty much the same !. (I use three airbrushes all loaded with paint to save time...except when it comes to the cleaning of course, as I tend to build several models at one time )...

Hopefully have the seats and their cushions finished soon but right now I'm off for a run.........to the kitchen and back !

M

• Like 2

he heee

another free picture for my photostash

of the Sioux, at least there's a chance of me getting down to building mine one day

when memories of Aaron's build have diminished a tad of course

That is a lovely picture yer generalshipness, captures the 'whatever it is' that makes the Skeeter such a sweetie very well

(Its a good job you wrestled it off me, I'd prolly have just stared at it for years before I got on wi' little chap)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1