Libyan Mig-25PD - 1/72 ICM - Completed 14th Feb

Cool choice of subject. Great to see a second MiG-25 appear in the GB and I'm keen to see how this one compares to the Condor kit.

• Like 1

Good luck, 'Forest'. ;)

Just one question (and feel free to call this 'nit-picking'; I really don't mind): is that serial - 6716 - the only one available to you?

Libyans have got nearly 80 MiG-25s, and there was quite a number of examples 'with at least some story to tell' - certainly a better one than 'some PDS intercepted by F/A-18As from USS Coral Sea in March 1986'. Yet, the fonds in which their serials were applied were absolutely unique - never seen as applied on any other aircraft in that or any other air force.

Anyway, few 'teasers' for your build:

- Nearly a dozen of different Libyan (and all Libyan-flown) MiG-25Ps became involved in engagements with USN F-4S' and F-14s over the Gulf of Syrte, on 18 and 19 August 1981. Nowadays largely forgotten, these engagements are recalled only for 'culminating' in the famous downing of two LAAF Su-22s by Tomcats. What is nearly unknown is that few hours later there was an engagement between two MiG-25Ps and a pair of F-14s again. The USN pair was led by skipper of VF-84, Cdr. Williams, whose Tomcat was armed with Phoenix-missiles (contrary to the two F-14s that shot down Sukhois). Namely: Williams was 'very eager' to get a Foxbat kill. 'Sadly', Libyans did not show any aggressive intentions that time, while USN's ROEs of that time required Libyans to open fire first...

- A year later, Libyan Ps nearly became involved in a planned intervention in Sudan. Ironically, this was provoked by a CIA-plot intending to drag the LAAF in front of US-trained Egyptian and Sudanese air forces - supported by USN fighters and USAF E-3 Sentries - and to shot them down (see 'Operation Early Call').

- In 1983-1986 Libyan MiG-25s were active over Chad, where they almost engaged the French AF Mirage F.1s...

- In March 1986, two MiG-25s engaged a pair of F-14s from VF-33 with intention of shooting them down (at least they were ordered to do so). Tomcats outmanoeuvred them but did not receive permission to open fire on time. Thus, they 'only' brought back TCS-videos showing minutes of 'Foxbat's six o'clock', and Libyans manoeuvring their aircraft really hard (as hard as it goes with that type). Minutes later, Libyans opened fire with their SA-5 SAMs (yup, SA-5s, not SA-2s or someting else), prompting the USN to launch its operation 'Prairie Fire', knock-out the SA-5s and sink two Libyan Navy's fast missile crafts...

After that engagement, the USN changed its ROEs: new set of ROEs made possible the downing of two MiG-23s in January 1989 in fashion this was done (i.e. without 'merge' but from stand-off range)...

• Like 3

Nice choice, but I would advise getting a SAC U/C if you can. I have built two of these or the Condor one and the main U/C is not very strong, on mine one has splayed outwards and the other got damaged beyond repair.

• Like 1

Good luck, 'Forest'. ;)

Just one question (and feel free to call this 'nit-picking'; I really don't mind): is that serial - 6716 - the only one available to you?

Libyans have got nearly 80 MiG-25s, and there was quite a number of examples 'with at least some story to tell' - certainly a better one than 'some PDS intercepted by F/A-18As from USS Coral Sea in March 1986'. Yet, the fonds in which their serials were applied were absolutely unique - never seen as applied on any other aircraft in that or any other air force.

Anyway, few 'teasers' for your build:

- Nearly a dozen of different Libyan (and all Libyan-flown) MiG-25Ps became involved in engagements with USN F-4S' and F-14s over the Gulf of Syrte, on 18 and 19 August 1981. Nowadays largely forgotten, these engagements are recalled only for 'culminating' in the famous downing of two LAAF Su-22s by Tomcats. What is nearly unknown is that few hours later there was an engagement between two MiG-25Ps and a pair of F-14s again. The USN pair was led by skipper of VF-84, Cdr. Williams, whose Tomcat was armed with Phoenix-missiles (contrary to the two F-14s that shot down Sukhois). Namely: Williams was 'very eager' to get a Foxbat kill. 'Sadly', Libyans did not show any aggressive intentions that time, while USN's ROEs of that time required Libyans to open fire first...

- A year later, Libyan Ps nearly became involved in a planned intervention in Sudan. Ironically, this was provoked by a CIA-plot intending to drag the LAAF in front of US-trained Egyptian and Sudanese air forces - supported by USN fighters and USAF E-3 Sentries - and to shot them down (see 'Operation Early Call').

- In 1983-1986 Libyan MiG-25s were active over Chad, where they almost engaged the French AF Mirage F.1s...

- In March 1986, two MiG-25s engaged a pair of F-14s from VF-33 with intention of shooting them down (at least they were ordered to do so). Tomcats outmanoeuvred them but did not receive permission to open fire on time. Thus, they 'only' brought back TCS-videos showing minutes of 'Foxbat's six o'clock', and Libyans manoeuvring their aircraft really hard (as hard as it goes with that type). Minutes later, Libyans opened fire with their SA-5 SAMs (yup, SA-5s, not SA-2s or someting else), prompting the USN to launch its operation 'Prairie Fire', knock-out the SA-5s and sink two Libyan Navy's fast missile crafts...

After that engagement, the USN changed its ROEs: new set of ROEs made possible the downing of two MiG-23s in January 1989 in fashion this was done (i.e. without 'merge' but from stand-off range)...

Hi Tom, thanks for this, really interesting stuff. Unfortunately I am restricted to what's in the box. Just read a little on Operation Early Call, sounds like the the weather and news reporters didn't help with this.

Thanks again.

FF

Nice choice, but I would advise getting a SAC U/C if you can. I have built two of these or the Condor one and the main U/C is not very strong, on mine one has splayed outwards and the other got damaged beyond repair.

Hi Jabba, if you have built 2 of these do you have any tips on getting the fuselage together? It seems that I need more hands than I actually have (I have the standard issue 2 btw!)

Sorry, I couldn't see the box very well. What brand is this kit? Interesting in getting one myself, been wanting to build a Libyan MiG for awhile so I will follow this one with great interest!

Sorry, I couldn't see the box very well. What brand is this kit? Interesting in getting one myself, been wanting to build a Libyan MiG for awhile so I will follow this one with great interest!

It's the ICM kit. From what I understand it is more detailed but also requires more work that the Condor kit.

Hi Jabba, if you have built 2 of these do you have any tips on getting the fuselage together? It seems that I need more hands than I actually have (I have the standard issue 2 btw!)

I think that I used a lot of bits of plasti-card and some luck.

The Condor one (which I am making) is not much better, it is very similar in production, but it does have the fins fitted to the rear fuselage side so this doe help a little when fitting to the rest of the fuselage.

I think that I used a lot of bits of plasti-card and some luck.

The Condor one (which I am making) is not much better, it is very similar in production, but it does have the fins fitted to the rear fuselage side so this doe help a little when fitting to the rest of the fuselage.

Thanks mate, I have tentatively made a start, will post some pics at the weekend.

FF

Both of these sound challenging, so I need more builds under my belt before I attempt something like this. Will still be following this one, however, with great interest! :popcorn:

• Like 1

Thanks for the links -Yufei Mao's build thread mentions the ED Models p/e set; anyone know if these are still obtainable anywhere? TIA! (I believe Hannants bought out the former ED Almark decal range, but can't find a source for the brass...)

This is a must-watch project!

Thanks for the links -Yufei Mao's build thread mentions the ED Models p/e set; anyone know if these are still obtainable anywhere? TIA! (I believe Hannants bought out the former ED Almark decal range, but can't find a source for the brass...)

Hannants bought (and still sell) ED Models' PE sets too. You'll find them under the Airwaves brand name.

I haven't specifically checked the availability of this set though ;)

Cliff

Hi all, just to show that I have commenced the build! You may be able to see that the rear fuselage 'box' is made of 11 (i think) separate pieces, so I expect a degree of filling and sanding. My aim is to try and get this all together over the weekend (time permitting).

Cheers

FFIMG_1382-vi.jpgIMG_1383-vi.jpg

• Like 3

Good to see you getting this one started. Hope the unusual parts breakdown doesn't cause fit problems.

Oh wow, this kit being a challenge is certainly no exaggeration. I can't help but think that box looks like the bed of a pickup truck, though! :D

Now you've said that I'm the same :lol:

Now you've said that I'm the same :lol:

Haha, that's just the first thing that popped into my head! I'm thinking "Well, there's the wheel wells ... and that looks like a tailgate ..." :hmmm:

Hannants bought (and still sell) ED Models' PE sets too. You'll find them under the Airwaves brand name.

I haven't specifically checked the availability of this set though ;)

Cliff

Nice one, Cliff, II'll check it out -many thanks.

• Like 1