1/72 Red Arrows Gnat, Starter Set

Hi all, following on from my 1/72 Harrier GR3 that I posted here in the last week or so, I've since completed another one of Airfix's Starter Sets. I know there've been a few of these on here over the years, but here's my effort.

Build

The kit went together pretty well, some really fiddly bits and I broke a number of parts, namely the rear undercarriage, pitot tube and the front gear door. They went back together pretty easily but still a minor inconvenience. As someone had mentioned before the part joining the rear gear doors was a bit of a fight. No fit issues other than I think the top of the wings stick up slightly before the tail section.

Paint

Humbrol Enamels used throughout other than an attempt at some drybrushing in the cockpit. I used Acrylics that came in the pack for this. A Revell Starter Airbrush was used and Tamiya grey primer from a rattle can. Over the top of the primer I did a layer of Humbrol 60(matt red) followed by the gloss coat (Humbrol 19). It seemed to go on really well but took ages to dry. The finish wasn't as smooth as I'd have liked, but I put that down to the airbrush and my inexperience. I also left the model in the front room to dry as it is warmer than our conservatory and because it was still tacky a few bits of dog hair and other assorted airborne bits suck to it. Lesson Learnt.

Finish

Really enjoyed this kit to get me into the swing of things. I know it's not perfect but I've learnt a lot for next time (An Airfix 1:48 Harrier GR. 3). Feedback, is very welcome, so go nuts :)

Thanks for looking

image12_zpse8447632.jpeg

image11_zpsa86a5d97.jpeg

image10_zpsb57230be.jpeg

image2_zps8109a99a.jpeg

image3_zpsb2ec6e9f.jpeg

image6_zps39942893.jpeg

• Like 13

Thank you all for your comments. I know there's a few of these and it's not a particularly interesting subject, but I'm fairly pleased for a first go!

She looks decent enough to me, very presentable, well done.

This is our hobby remember and we do it becasue we love it and enjoy it. Every one of us learns a little more with each model we build, getting better and better each time.

Keep up the good work.

:-)

• Like 1

Hey! Nicely finished, well done for keeping that big (for the scale) canopy bright and clean. Those fiddly small decals look excellent. Keep up the good work.

On my bench is the Airfix 1/72 new tool Hawker Typhoon it's a lovely kit.

Dave.

• Like 1

She looks decent enough to me, very presentable, well done.

This is our hobby remember and we do it becasue we love it and enjoy it. Every one of us learns a little more with each model we build, getting better and better each time.

Keep up the good work.

:-)

Thanks Booty :)

Hey! Nicely finished, well done for keeping that big (for the scale) canopy bright and clean. Those fiddly small decals look excellent. Keep up the good work.

On my bench is the Airfix 1/72 new tool Hawker Typhoon it's a lovely kit.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I was really pleased with the canopy, I used some of the tips from my Harrier thread to make sure I got it right. Are you doing a WIP for the Typhoon?

Well done Matt. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth it and you have the right attitude. The Airfix 1/48th Harrier GR3 is quite an old kit and you will probably notice the difference compared to the Gnat kit but it looks like a Harrier when its built. It can be made into an excellent replica but that requires far more effort than you should consider. Keep it simple and enjoy it. There's plenty of time to join us sad lot who spend weeks (no, I lie, months and sometimes years!) trying to finish something!

Simon

• Like 1

Well done Matt. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth it and you have the right attitude. The Airfix 1/48th Harrier GR3 is quite an old kit and you will probably notice the difference compared to the Gnat kit but it looks like a Harrier when its built. It can be made into an excellent replica but that requires far more effort than you should consider. Keep it simple and enjoy it. There's plenty of time to join us sad lot who spend weeks (no, I lie, months and sometimes years!) trying to finish something!

Simon

Thanks, Simon. I have to say after finishing the Gnat, and seeing the improvements in the 1/72 Harrier (the GR3 was the second model I ever built over 20years ago) kit I thought the 1/48 version would be of a similar standard. Although I'm looking forward to giving it a go, I must admit I was a bit disappointed with the overall quality. I made a 1/48 Harrier when I was about 12, and from what Ive read, it's more or less the same kit. I'm sure it's going to present me with many, many challenges!

Thanks Booty :)

Thanks Dave, I was really pleased with the canopy, I used some of the tips from my Harrier thread to make sure I got it right. Are you doing a WIP for the Typhoon?

Hi, I've been so busy lately that bits of modelling I've been doing have been for fun only, however' I found the Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter under the Christmas tree & I think that will be the next WIP. I've got a few other tempting morsels in my stash though!

• Like 1