1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 by Tanmodel - 3D renders - in design

Homebee

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

non folding wings

Honestly, I'd prefer non-folding wings. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Create the ultimate 1/72 kit and you will own this part of the modelling market for years. 

CMR have got you covered, if that's what you want. And the harsh reality is that people aren't exactly falling over themselves to make a Buccaneer; the last injection-molded one tooled from scratch was released when Richard Nixon was president of the USA. I'd settle for pleasant to build and accurate. I don't give a fig for folding wings or airbrakes that open, which aftermarket manufacturers can easily furnish for the people who feel life isn't difficult enough.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TANMODEL said:

Our design team has prepared a special gift for 1/72 scale modellers: 1/48 Scale Buccaneer S.Mk.2B Air Brake

Is it wrong that my immediate thought was, "this is a joke, right?" :lol:

Next up, as a special bonus for all the Star Wars fans, Revell's upcoming Star Destroyer kit will come with a Starship Enterprise.  :D  

• Like 3

Almost sounds like a conspiracy to have 1/72 modellers switch over to 48, as in: have a look at the amount of detail you're missing out on :lol:.

I'll just have the 1/72 kit thanks.

Jay

Sorry Baris but just as woody37 I'd rather you and your team stay focussed on getting aircraft kits like the Buccaneer (in 1/72nd, 1/48th or even 1/32nd) to market than getting distracted on such a speed brake structure display set.

Regards,

V.P. 

Edited by Homebee

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks nice, however it depends on what is going to be available with the 1/72 kit. 

Apologies if this has already been raised, however if a basic cockpit, non folding wings, non opening airbrakes and bomb bay are going to be included with the basic kit, then the weight and space of this 1/48 display would be rather pointless. 

Lets have S.1 intake options, Eduard style instructions, canopy and wheel masks and a host of decal options. That should fill up plenty of space and save the modeller from having to dig deeper into his/her pockets for AM extras. 

Create the ultimate 1/72 kit and you will own this part of the modelling market for years. 

Cheers.... Dave

I'd rather they just gave us the plastic without all the fripperies thank you, all those extras would bump the cost up, the T-33 in1/72nd is already out of my price range, the Bucc' with all of those extras would likely be too!

What you're asking for is fine if you only want to build 1 or 2 Bucc's but not if you want a dozen!

As for Tan-Model's instructions, those with their 1/48th RF-84F are very good so there's no reason to expect the Bucc's would be otherwise.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

That's nice but... where's the rest of the kit?  Specifically the 72nd one.

The 1/72nd kit got gazumped by the 1/48th bully boys (and before anyone thinks I'm anti 1/48th I'm not, it's just there's only room in my life for one 1/48th Bucc, but I could make space for a dozen 1/72nd kits).

• Like 3

If the price is reasonable l would likely buy a few but doubt l will need a 1/48 speedbrake for anything. Spend the effort on something else please.

Robert

2 hours ago, Wez said:

The 1/72nd kit got gazumped by the 1/48th bully boys (and before anyone thinks I'm anti 1/48th I'm not, it's just there's only room in my life for one 1/48th Bucc, but I could make space for a dozen 1/72nd kits).

Yeap that was my reaction too, i would buy and build quite a few 72nd Buccaneers, especially to go with the new Airfix Phantom FG1 due out this winter. Folding Wings, nose and tail means you can do one in a Carrier Hanger or Deck lift, or just a flight deck display. There were 5 FAA squadrons to do and three different schemes, then there are the unusual weapons load to try out such as the recon pallet, Red Beard etc. Then of course there are the RAF options to go at and some of the projects prposed to improve performance when TSR2 was canned.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

;the last injection-molded one tooled from scratch was released when Richard Nixon was president of the USA. I'd settle for pleasant to build and accurate. I don't give a fig for folding wings or airbrakes that open, which aftermarket manufacturers can easily furnish for the people who feel life isn't difficult enough.

1989? I thought that was Bush (1994 for 1/48)

I agree on the other part!

And with Geoff

Edited by Dave Fleming

Not really bothered whether its 1/72 or 1/48. Just so long as it comes with folded wing option, deployed control surfaces, detailed bomb bay, decent cockpit, full range of British whizz bangs to hang underneath it, at least half a dozen decal options and cheap enough to leave you enough change for a beer afterwards!!. Not really asking much am I ? :lol:! Seriously though, I'd rather all these options were included in the basic kit. It might add to the price but, probably not nearly as much as if you would have to pay for a load of expensive aftermarket frippery. Not all of us want to or, can afford to buy extras

PS - Oh yes, nearly forgot, NO p/e rubbish please. I hate the darned stuff!:lol:

Allan

• Like 1

I think that the take-away from this discussion for Tanmodel is that the 1/48 airbrakes are gorgeous and that we appreciate the kind gesture, but as most of us stick to one scale, we'd prefer to have options for 'everything open' and 'everything closed' in one box.

I for one would like to thank Tanmodel for giving us what I am sure will be a great kit, and I hope that it sells as well as I think it will - well done Tanmodel! :thumbsup:

Robbie

• Like 7

I'm interested in one 1/48th scale kit and maybe three in 1/72 scale so I have no use for a 1/48th scale airbrake on a stand.

But I agree with the other and I suspect most people who buy the 1/72 scale kit will just leave this airbrake in the box, it seems a bit of a waste.

Edited by Tbolt

Hi everyone;

Air brake parts will already be coming from 48-scale kit. We will only add 3 parts of display stand and this will be our gift. This will not increase the retail sales price of 72-scale kit, you don’t have to worry for 3 little parts.

Air brakes are the most outstanding parts of Buccaneer aircraft (and its model). Wouldn’t it be risky to move the model every time you wanted to show the air brake details to your friend (or a guest coming to visit you)? We thought you would be able to better display air brake structure details with a 1/48 scale display stand.

We didn’t waste much time for display stand design. Because we started to draw details and 3D design will finish soon.

(Homebee, I sent you a Facebook message. Please check your message box.)

Regards,

Baris TANSOY

TANMODEL™ Plastic Model Kits Ltd.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

1989? I thought that was Bush (1994 for 1/48)

'94 would have been Clinton, but I should have specified The Gentleman's Scale, mea culpa.

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

'94 would have been Clinton, but I should have specified The Gentleman's Scale, mea culpa.

last new tool 1/72 was 89 (Airfix S2B - it was a completely new tool, not a retool of the old NA39, as a comparison of the parts shows)

Still need a new one!

• Like 1

Having had my ears pricked up and mouth drooling ever since the first announcement this kit was coming, I'm really pleased to see little snippets appearing which confirm it's still on track.

I'm really encouraged by the nice look of the airbrakes if they're sampled from the 48th scale kit (I realise that there are a lot of 72nd scale fans here but I'm really happy with 48th).

One thing it's made me realise looking at these holes in the airbrakes is to cross check which machine I'm building, as some of them don't have all the holes (notably the second ones out from the centre on the bottom row -although the machine I want to build does).

Keep up the great work Tanmodel. Looking forward to seeing it on the shelves.

If you're listening to markings option requests, please consider including this later - less simplified style of 12 Sqn Fox head (I've not seen any available in 48th scale decals) as on XX900, here seen at Mildenhall, 1993.

PXnIxp.jpg

Cheers Bob.:D:yes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

last new tool 1/72 was 89 (Airfix S2B - it was a completely new tool, not a retool of the old NA39, as a comparison of the parts shows)

Still need a new one!

Not really Dave, it was more a refined and corrected NA-39 kit maintaining the same breakdown compared with the likes of Italeri, Ecsi and Hasegawa efforts of the same period it felt a little crude. It always felt like a 6/10 score for effort a bit of a dull half hearted effort, which is why we have been crying out for a decent kit to represent the type. Even the CMR ones once you exclude the super detailed goodies appears to be nothing more than a copy of the Airfix basic airframe with ill defined details - Just compare it with new off shoot NA-39/S1 to see how much nicer that tooling is.

I suppose that's why we really want a decent affordable 1/72nd Buccaneer kit, the early NA39 was 50s relic, the Frog and Matchbox versions were somewhat lacking and the Airfix re-tool was somewhat half-hearted.

1 hour ago, Geoff_B said:

Not really Dave, it was more a refined and corrected NA-39 kit maintaining the same breakdown compared with the likes of Italeri, Ecsi and Hasegawa efforts of the same period it felt a little crude. It always felt like a 6/10 score for effort a bit of a dull half hearted effort, which is why we have been crying out for a decent kit to represent the type. 

Most Airfix 1/72 of that period was the same, done on a cheap budget without the care put into their larger kits - after the Tucano, there is hardly a 1/72 Airfix kit that was really any good until the Second phase of Hornby stuff. Look at terrors like the Typhoon and F117.  The Harrier IIs are probably the exception, and they suffered as most of the tooling budget that year went to Heller for the 1/48th Etendards, hence raised panel lines in the Harriers,

Thenpoint I was making was that it was a completely new tool, it may have shared parts breakdown, but only in a general sense, and that was just lazy design. It wasn't (as was suggested at the time) a conversion of the NA39 kit.

That's not to say it wasn't sold to the Humbrol management in that way.......

Edited by Dave Fleming

How much space in the box does the airbrake take, and what 72nd scale items such as (for example) Paveways/Pave Spike/Sea Eagle/ Rocket Pods/ 1000lb bombs/Martel.BL755/Slipper tanks/AIM-9 have to be sacrificed to include this?

That's all I'm interested in, I'm afraid. If we end up with a nice airbrake in 48th scale, but not - for example - the option of putting PWII under the wings, it's a lousy 'gift'.

Sorry to be grumpy, but there it is.

• Like 4

Has anyone seen the cads, sprues  or heard of any proposed offerings (besides the 1/48 airbrake gift) for this 1/72 scale Bucc? 

Tanmodel - any details that you may be willing to share might not be a bad idea right now to help appease your potential target audience. 

Cheers.. Dave

Hi Baris,

Just a thought, but have you thought of producing more than one boxing like Eduard and Arma Hobby have? A basic example with just plastic, no wing folds etc, an intermediate with the wing/nose fold options and an expert with all the bells and whistles? That would potentially cover all price and skill ranges and benefit you in the process. 

As for sharing details, one just has to look at all the feedback Jan from AZ models has (admittedly not all of it helpful) when he asks for suggestions or confirmation of details. The collective memory and research on somewhere like here must be invaluable.

Mr Tansoy,

In case you're getting the sense we're nothing but whingers - I think it is worth mentioning lots of modellers including myself are very, very much looking forward to Tanmodel's 1/72 Buccaneer. Some have have been waiting decades for a good kit and seeing your previous efforts have become quite enthusiastic with this prospect. Hence the question marks shooting out of our heads regarding the air brake. It's kind of like the new iPhone. Droves of people looking forward to it + the news the headphone jack would be replaced by the 'airpod' = panic on the internet. In the end it makes having an iphone not worse, just more expensive.

Jay

PS - I think we want a Buccaneer more badly then iPhone users want a new iPhone to be honest :lol:

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Mr Tansoy,

In case you're getting the sense we're nothing but whingers - I think it is worth mentioning lots of modellers including myself are very, very much looking forward to Tanmodel's 1/72 Buccaneer. Some have have been waiting decades for a good kit and seeing your previous efforts have become quite enthusiastic with this prospect. Hence the question marks shooting out of our heads regarding the air brake.

Agreed although it appears that you misspelt 1/48! :devil:

• Like 1

My $0.02.

I'll be buying at least 2 1/48 Buccaneers, and at least 2 1/72 ones as well. 

Thank you!