P-63 Kingcobra ADA (1/72 Eastern Express)

dukdalf

Hi,

Having used this forum far too long as only a source for references and good ideas (thank you, all !) and as a warming-up for the upcoming French Fancy GB, I'd like to share my latest effort with you:

DSC02731_zpsfc1ff444.jpg

Which I hope will turn out looking something like this (in flight, yes):

78846796-1d87-4205-b343-85462750cd02_zps

The Eastern Express kit is a reboxing of the Toko-edition. It gets mixed reviews but so far I'm pleasantly surprised by its quality. The proper fit is of course hidden beneath plenty of soft plastic, but it is certainly there and the detail is more than acceptable. I've chopped the headrest to make way for a sheet of armoured glass:

68e2875f-6e6f-4247-a6cc-8079be5d3b4e_zps

The main problem would seem to be those rectangular blobs on the nose which somehow have to be transformed into gun troughs:

666029c5-9c41-4c75-a6a8-bc601e16b593_zps

Thanks for looking, more pics tomorrow.

• Like 2

Thank you, Soviet. The first interior colour is on, I've sanded down the insides of all wing sections considerably to give a slightly more convincing edge, did some scraping and sawing at the starboard control surfaces (that trim tab on the port wing will go) and closed up the first wheel bay. EE would have you fit inner gear doors, but I can't find any evidence of those being present on the P-63. They would require major surgery to the wheelbay edges to fit. (I'm sorry about this photo-misery,but Photobucket keeps playing up in saving changes and my camera skills need a major shot in the arm):

DSC02737_zps33c03996.jpg

DSC02738_zpsca1c3d7e.jpg

DSC02739_zpsd9b3aa98.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The story of the Bell Cobra's is a peculiar one: neither aircraft found much appreciation at home, the Soviets loved both apparently. I gather the French were rather desparate for any kind of fighter aircraft in those days, I haven't found any contemporary pilot reviews yet but it was fased out pretty quickly after seeing heavy combat use in Indochina. I'll finish this aircraft in Normandie-Niemen colours, as part of a personal 'group build'. Anyway, back to work:

overviewklein_zpsdc0134ff.jpg

Tidied up the three fuel tanks and blanked off the rear end on the ventral one. It doesn't sit flush with the underside of the wing to allow what I suppose are cooling vents to be opened, and a dry fit warned me from sticking it on as-is. Under the tanks is the part that will make up the wingroot intakes: portside has been cut to look more like those on a P-63. I've left the 'cleavage' in the top frame open because of this:

closeklein_zps13b33be9.jpg

I'd rather fill that seam than sand down the canopy sides... On the radio deck I'll add some more detail and the armoured glass before gluing it in. A dryfit of the intake fairing on top and the glassworks promises more fun to come:

glasklein_zps12cc0d50.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thank you, guys. I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to my Cobra under construction as frankly, I think she's just plain ugly... Just kidding of course, but as Adrian I'm very surprised at the quality of this kit. Slightly unorthodox in its engineering at points, but clearly someone gave it some serious thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress, at my usual snail's pace. Dryfitting the first door and not quite there yet: DSC02751_zpsd696a214-1.jpg

Pondering those lumps which need to be turned into troughs:

DSC02754_zps4e05321f-1.jpg

I've read a build report on this amazing forum (frankly, I feel a bit out of my depth when I look at the work shown in some topics) where the strategy was "drill an enormous hole, fit a pipe which has an internal diameter equalling that of the trough and start sanding". Too difficult for me I'm afraid, so I've come up with an alternative plan which involves no more than drilling straight (yes, that would be essential) into those squares, sand the lump down and fit a syringe needle or something, and forget about the pipe. Knowing Eastern Express, they will probably have provided enough plastic:

DSC02755_zpsef694d1d-1.jpg

I've been wrestling poor Pierre into his seat and after a lot of surgery he looks like this:

DSC02756klein_zps2760ff9b-1.jpg

Here, the stick is at its original length. Not a position his instructor would have approved of I think and I'll try to prevent the obvious indecent suggestions by shortening it somewhat and then he'll be ready for his harness of bottle-lead, which he should be familiar with. The fit of the intake fairing behind the cockpit is as good as it gets, before filling and sanding that is. The tilt of the radiodeck seems to be the way EE would have you fit it. The rear canopy part will hide it so I've left it as is. I might add a wire or two before closing, but next week the wing and the glass should be fitted so I can start preparing for paint. That is unless you have any suggestions for improvement, of course. All are welcome.

• Like 1

The solution you describe would've been my first, I did something like that on a KP Il-10. If you don't feel up for it you could delete the lumps altogether, reproduce the inner profile of the intake on the fuselage by carving/filing, then add a scratch built replacement for the intakes. Thin plastic sheet, aluminium can cuttings and paper soaked in superglue are all suitable materials.

• 1 year later...

Just revisiting this thread, as I was following it when it was active. Did the P-63 get finished? Did it get put away for a while? I was keen to see the finished product in French markings - it was providing me with enthusiasm to get mine under way.

...the stick is at its original length. Not a position his instructor would have approved of I think and I'll try to prevent the obvious indecent suggestions by shortening it somewhat....

Looks like the same length stick that Hollywood uses in its WW2 aircraft, eg. the "Pearl Harbour" P-40s

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, James. This P-63 has indeed spent the last twelve months or so or the shelf of doom for reasons outside the realm of modeling. Having put those troubles behind me, it will get finished as a Normandie-Niemen aircraft.