P-47D Thunderbolt "Spirit of Crawford County Missouri"

Hi all

I haven't felt motivated to build anything since my Hasegawa P-47D Nose Art Collection Set in August 2014. However, I recently bought the Academy D-day set from those wonderful people at Creative Models and decided to add to my occasional RAF Boxted/USAAF Station 150 (here and here) collection by completing the Razorback in the set as "Spirit of Crawford Missouri", using the included decals.

I found a colour photo of the subject taken on September 21st 1944 at Boxted, which was the day that this machine was lost near Arnhem, killing pilot 2nd Lt. Oscar L. Cagle Jr.

This model was built last weekend as a "duck-breaker" straight from the box with ANA (Absolutely Nothing Added - not even tape seat belts!) The model was ideal to rekindle my enthusiasm, as it was a delight to build, with no and I mean NO filler used anywhere! The kit decals were intended to depict the aircraft on D-Day, but I wanted to show it roughly as it would have looked in September 1944, which meant not applying the wing stripes and cutting out the fuselage "Stars and Bars", as the invasion markings around the upper part of the fuselage had been removed by then.

​I used LifeColor Olive Drab and Neutral Gray applied in a deliberately blotchy manner, as this machine would have been relatively well-used by then, but a study of all the photos in the Roger Freeman/Osprey book "56th Fighter Group" shows that the airframes were clean and well-maintained at Boxted. I applied some minor chipping with a silver pen and gave the whole model a light Raw Umber wash, which was dragged in the direction of airflow. I used a tiny amount of Mig Black Smoke Pigment on the wing surrounding the .50 cal with the shortest barrel protrusion and a small streak to simulate exhaust staining on each side of the lower fuselage.

All in all, this was great fun weekend build and the only criticism I would make of the kit is that the main gear legs seem too long, but I haven't measured them and made any comparisons with plans.

Thanks for looking (please excuse the dust and the unattached windscreen as well as the poor quality images!)

SAM_9035_zpsb7cb4440.jpg

SAM_9055_zps4df1fbe5.jpg

SAM_9058_zps3bd42b65.jpg

SAM_9059_zpsf3021102.jpg

SAM_9061_zps004428bd.jpg

SAM_9062_zpsda9c4bc5.jpg

SAM_9063_zpsfe52fe02.jpg

SAM_9065_zps97c09b51.jpg

SAM_9068_zpsab8fe4b4.jpg

And here she is with the Hobbyboss kit on the left of the images and the Hasegawa kit on the right:

SAM_9071_zpsfcf93b45.jpg

SAM_9073_zps21585f61.jpg

• Like 14

A sharp looking build there AD. I think I prefer the Razorback to the Bubbletop. Thanks for that link as well, I would have loved to have been at the end of the runway with that little lot, the sound must have been amazing.

Tim.

Very nice indeed, good to see another Jug join the collection. I like your ANA concept, not sure I'm ready for it yet though! Interesting to see the three together.

Thanks Parabat. Give ANA a go, it's quite invigorating!!

Lovely looking build - well done!

Thanks, mate. I'm glad you like her.

A sharp looking build there AD. I think I prefer the Razorback to the Bubbletop. Thanks for that link as well, I would have loved to have been at the end of the runway with that little lot, the sound must have been amazing.

Tim.

Thanks for your reply Tim. I agree that the Razorback is more appealing - more brutish perhaps? I would have loved to have seen and heard the Wolfpack take off. I've been poring over the Freeman book, trying to imagine what it must have been like.

AD, how did you find the LifeColor to spray? I'm looking for a paint that I can brush and spray for some armour builds? I like the look of LifeColor and would rather eat my own foot than use Vallejo!

You must have quite a collection of Boxed themed stuff now?

Tim.

Hi Tim

I'm not a particularly proficient airbrush user, but I find LifeColor really easy to use (and it has hardly any aroma, so it is really family-friendly!)

The only different types that I plan to build for my Boxted collection are the captured He-111 that now resides at the RAF Museum, Hendon and a post-war 234 Squadron RAF Meteor, which was the last inhabitant of the airfield, before the military withdrew in August 1947.

(I plan to carry on building Thunderbolts for a while, though!)

Hi Tim

I'm not a particularly proficient airbrush user, but I find LifeColor really easy to use (and it has hardly any aroma, so it is really family-friendly!)

The only different types that I plan to build for my Boxted collection are the captured He-111 that now resides at the RAF Museum, Hendon and a post-war 234 Squadron RAF Meteor, which was the last inhabitant of the airfield, before the military withdrew in August 1947.

(I plan to carry on building Thunderbolts for a while, though!)

Ok, thanks Leigh, I'll give them a try. In the mean time I look forward to your next Jug.

Tim.

Ok, thanks Leigh, I'll give them a try. In the mean time I look forward to your next Jug.

Tim.

Thanks Tim.

I taking a short break from Thunderbolts and am presently building two rather "Sweet" (pun intended!) 1/144 P-51B Mustangs of the 354th FG, which was based in Boxted until April 1944. (My goodness, they're tiny!)

Thanks Tim.

I taking a short break from Thunderbolts and am presently building two rather "Sweet" (pun intended!) 1/144 P-51B Mustangs of the 354th FG, which was based in Boxted until April 1944. (My goodness, they're tiny!)

Optivisors at the ready then, which 2 are you modelling?

You're not kidding! I've just started painting them, which is an "interesting" experience!

I'm doing the famous "Ding Hao!" and "Killer".

Nice, will look out for them when you post the pics up.