Uncle Navy Bird's Complete Waste of Time 2014

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

Here are all the models I finished in 2014. Only 4! (5 really, please see the EDIT at the bottom of the post.) Oh, the shame, the shame...

But Mother Nature really got me this past year. The return of Carcinoma's Angels hit me pretty hard, and I think I spent more time in doctor's offices than I did in my studio. Plus I lost my job when my company got sold and had to go looking for a new one. That put a little dent in the modelling time too.

But what really curtailed my output was that I had the audacity to spend five months each on two models alone. This is something that can't be repeated. 2015 will be better, it must be better. We'll kill the cancer (in progress) and then I'll kill the job (as in retirement) and then we'll see if the stash wins or not! So on with the four (five really) completions from 2014:

1:72 PB4Y-1 Liberator "Subduer" (Kit from 1965!) finished in February of 2014 after five months of work!

Revell

Lots of work to bring this up to more modern standards. But, come on, did I really have to add the relief tube? That's just modelling for the sake of modelling.

100_4459

100_4464

100_4476

100_4106

100_4492

Yup, I added the relief tube:

100_4171

1:72 Blackburn Skua Mk.II finished in May of 2014

Special Hobby

Lovely little kit of an unloved aeroplane. Like a lot of the early war aircraft, the Skua was often tasked to do things it wasn't designed for. It may be a lot of things, but it's not ugly!

100_4587

100_4593

100_4589

100_4600

1:72 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 finished in August of 2014

Airfix

Believe it or not, this is the first Bf 109 kit I've built in my nearly 50 years of modelling. The kit was a good choice, I think, not only due to the history behind "the one that got away" but also due to the wonderful new Airfix kit. All weathering was done with pastels, there is no panel line wash on this model. I think it came out nice, what do you think?

100_5166

100_5168

100_5167

100_5165

100_5171

1:72 DAP Beaufort Mk.VIII "Snifter" finished in first week of January 2015 after five months of work!

Special Hobby

I shall forever remember this build as the Photoetch Extravaganza. I don't think I've ever used so much of the stuff - and it was fiddly beyond all fiddliness. But the antennae look cool, and give me some confidence to tackle some of those crazy night fighters all bristled up with antennae. I shall also recall this build as the one where I learned to make navigation lights out of plastic knife handles.

100_5355

100_5350

100_5363

100_5369

100_5264

100_5367

That's all folks! Here's hoping that 2015 can beat this paltry effort. But first I have to beat the cancer, then I can worry about models. :)

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT: And one I completely forgot about!

1:72 Mil Mi-28 Havoc finished in July of 2014

Dragon (DML)

I wanted to do some experimentation with pastel weathering, specifically using pastels instead of a panel line wash and using odd colours for shading (like bright red on brown, etc.). So I figured I would build a quick OOB kit that I wasn't saving for any special project, and have at it. It would be a "throwaway" kit.

So I built the ancient Dragon Mi-28 Havoc helicopter kit in just a couple of weeks. A lot of the assembly had been done back in 1990 or so (whenever the kit came out) and it had been languishing in the box since then. Unfortunately, the photos don't show the pastel effect as strong as in real life, but I was happy with the results. I decided to use all pastel weathering on the little Bf 109 that I built next.

100_5114

100_5117

100_5124

100_5121

100_5123

PS. I didn't throw it out. :)

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 17

It is a very nice selection of excellently built models. And I like you relief tube! The Liberator is exceptional. I hope this year goes well for you in more than just modeling.

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Exceptional jobs. I too had an enforced break (no pun intended) but that was merely a very nasty fracture of my right arm. After about three months I am now getting back to normal. Just wish I could "completely waste my time" to the same standard. :thumbsup:

Regards

Allan

Only four Bill but quality ones at that. The Liberator looks very tasty in Navy markings and the Skua, not ugly at all, just utilitarian, built to do a job with out frills.

Love 'em.

Colin

Hi Bill. Well there may be only four but they probably are four of THE best models produced on Britmodeller last year. Absolutely superb work at every stage.

I'm looking forward to what you build in 2015.

Kind regards,

Stix

Wonderful work, Bill. The Beaufort is the 'star' for me, but I also love the 109, great work with the pastels on that.

Console yourself that I managed to complete exactly '0' (zero, zilch, nada...) models in 2014, and 2015 doesn't look like it'll be much better until summer gets here :weep: due to my new lodgings. And I have had nothing like the challenges you have faced, and overcome.

Best of wishes for your 2015 and thanks for showing these wonderful examples of work.

Kev

Bill,

Overcoming redundancy, fighting cancer and still managing to build four stunning models of which each had a build thread that was entertaining, educational and inspirational?

You sir are an amazing person :)

Cheers

Neil

Some how missed the other wips if there were any but thank god I got in for the beau! you shouldn't be unhappy with four.... I would be ecstatic if I made one model EVER that was of the quality of the above.

Rob

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your kind words.

On 1/12/2015 at 13:24, woody37 said:

Bill,

Overcoming redundancy, fighting cancer and still managing to build four stunning models of which each had a build thread that was entertaining, educational and inspirational?

You sir are an amazing person :)

Cheers

Neil

Special thanks, Neil. I don't know about the amazing part, but this year sure has been interesting!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi mates,

I completely forgot about one of my builds! It's the DML Mi-28 Havoc kit - I've added it to my first post at the bottom. This year I'm gonna write everything down so I don't forget!

Cheers,

Bill

Personally I'd say you had a terrific year. They are all fantastic builds and I love the Skua and Liberator in particular. Well done.