AFV Matador in 1/35th

simmerit

Its back to the mid production now

FullSizeRender%20288_zpseghnbsyu.jpg

lashings are a combination of plastic and brass. This is it with the plastic in progress

FullSizeRender%20289_zps0s88frtq.jpg

This is a mid-production. Note the single line of lashing points. AFV Club have this wrong as I said, but not really a great deal of choice about fitting them I reckon as the molding points are so obvious on the side panels, and the wood grain is molded so sanding the off would be a nightmare in a damaged brain.

FullSizeRender%20290_zpsc1g7yzwo.jpg

Probably one more night's work to finish it off I reckon, them its back on the early production and that 4.5" gun

FullSizeRender%20291_zpsctbiwadv.jpg

the shipped this little fella and also resin jerry cans. The plastic ones were pants, so this is a bit of a result (subject to how sad you are). That driver is a man ahead of his time and clearly things he's uber alley - note the position of the cap badge which is very firmly round the side of his head!!

• Like 2

On with the gun for the first time in donkeys. When towed, sight and breech were covered over. On one level its a bit of a shame as the detail was OK

FullSizeRender%20296_zpsjawxbmkn.jpg

FullSizeRender%20297_zpspatfzs0k.jpg

FullSizeRender%20298_zpscjhbvwao.jpg

FullSizeRender%20299_zpspakybj9z.jpg

I've also started to flat coat the second Mat.

Here it is before

FullSizeRender%20295_zpswzqcldsp.jpg

FullSizeRender%20294_zpslzimmdhi.jpg

FullSizeRender%20293_zps4lrfea2e.jpg

a mahoosive lot to do still

• Like 2

I've cracked on with the base a bit as she's out AGAIN at topless netball. Its Monday, Wednesday and most of Saturday. Netball widower lads. Still. Beer and seal team 6 on putlocker so it doesn't get any better than that.

FullSizeRender%20300_zps2trqmhpf.jpg

FullSizeRender%20301_zpszz5uvjzw.jpg

FullSizeRender%20302_zpsq9etq0fs.jpg

FullSizeRender%20303_zpsnfsrvly2.jpg

think a combination of sand and mud for the base also

• Like 3

these lashings are brass etch. A bit fiddly

FullSizeRender%20308_zpsicwkb97n.jpg

FullSizeRender%20304_zps8t9ok6at.jpg

heading into the final furlong

FullSizeRender%20305_zpsu7c59cbw.jpg

and an all over delay spray of Halfords finest

FullSizeRender%20306_zpslypun6nd.jpg

my mrs' 17 year old girl asked me what delay spraying was the other day!!

FullSizeRender%20307_zpsdnr08thi.jpg

but the best one was when she got a chocolate birthday cake for her 16th and it was covered in Chocolate Star Fish!! I really lowered the tone in this household!!

laugh a minute here

• Like 3

its quite a nice kit. I've done an out of the box build, an d it builds up well. I could have put decent canvas on I suppose and some brake pipes and one or two other little bits and pieces, but there is very little you can do to improve it to be honest. Apart from those tyres!!

Slow progress I'm afraid, but managed to get half an hour in this morning on the base board.

FullSizeRender%20311_zpst3seokhl.jpg

FullSizeRender%20312_zpse1ehflxz.jpg

I'm going to go for real sand I think for the rest of it. I'v worked the mud in about an inch either side of the tracks now. Not sure how to secure the sand yet!!

• Like 1

Had a crack at the canvas covers on the gun

FullSizeRender%20314_zpsnfzie473.jpg

FullSizeRender%20313_zpsvbot1jzg.jpg

A few little bits to finish on it and I should be able to put some wear and tear on the thing, retrospectively.......

Also had the hairbrush on the little fellas' greatcoats as I was never really happy with them - much better now I feel.

FullSizeRender%20315_zpsvzwz2ck7.jpg

I've still got one more to do but dont seem to be able to get the motivation to finish him off.

FullSizeRender%20316_zpsvawh6pdz.jpg

Having spent a bit of time on the build making a workable front set of wheel as per the PMMS site mods, I glued them in place today, which meant the mods were a complete waste of time!! I've glued them as I need to drill the tyres and put screws in from underneath to get the effect of weight on them. I lowered the flatbed today as well as it was sitting too high. I'll have a crack at some shading on the trousers tomoz when they are properly dry. Who knows....hair next!

Forgot to add. Note the direction of the tred on both sets of tyres!!

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 1

Thanks Jackster mate - the feedback is most appreciated.

FullSizeRender%20318_zpssmgah6nz.jpg

FullSizeRender%20317_zpseulgdey9.jpg

just having a look at the sand. Its wet, so sticking together at the minute. I may have to go for silver sand which is the stuff that kiddies put in sandpits

Looks Awesome, what fantastic work. Have you considered doing what the railway modellers do for laying ballast ? Laying out the sand, wetting with a water spray with a few drops of washing up liquid added then adding a 50/50 mix of water and PVA glue via petit pipet and leave to dry may be worth a look. Some people use sand to ballast the track and looks very effective.

All the best
Chris

Apparently some modellers use chinchilla sand, very fine grains

Thanks for that matey. The power of google will find some for me :D .

I was just thinking about the ranks of the members of a WWII gun crew. I know there is one sergeant as we can see him in the piccie in the passenger seat in the cab. So, 10 lads in a gun crew. That feels like 1 x sergeant, 2 x full screws and 7 in the rank and file maybe or 1 x sergeant, 1 x full screw and 2 x lance jacks with two 5 man sections if they had to go into an infantry role? maybe? Any gunners out there over the age of 70 years of age? :)

Looks Awesome, what fantastic work. Have you considered doing what the railway modellers do for laying ballast ? Laying out the sand, wetting with a water spray with a few drops of washing up liquid added then adding a 50/50 mix of water and PVA glue via petit pipet and leave to dry may be worth a look. Some people use sand to ballast the track and looks very effective.

All the best

Chris

I was going to have a look at that funny stuff foghorn leghorn was on about and take a view. Not given it any thought as to how to stick it down. That stuff I had was ace as it had little rocks in, but the sand is too course unfortunately

FullSizeRender%20320_zpsmkykrnsj.jpg

chinchilla sand, and

FullSizeRender%20319_zpswsurnybj.jpg

silver sand. One used for a large fur ball with teeth. The other goes in the bottom of a fish tank. Guess where I'm going tomoz!!

I reckon a pet shop of some sort Si ? The bottom picture looks like it might fit the bill mate :-)

I reckon a pet shop of some sort Si ? The bottom picture looks like it might fit the bill mate :-)

yup. Mutt food required and Pets at Home is next to Halfords, so its Mutt food, silver sand, a new rear wiper for her car and I may loiter around the Halfords grey primer and rub the legs in an Eric Morecomb like fashion!!