jeff gordon nascar

shood23

This is a build that i am expecting to go very quick as I am using it to getting use to painting again after not doing any for a couple of months so there is no frills just hopefully a good paint job

Here's the box

20150110_171500_zps3v2t32ba.jpg

And the main body

20150110_171530_zpslszcwpse.jpg

And compared to the lambo i am building

20150110_171608_zpscrbhbzgt.jpg

The pic doesnt really show the size difference but on a 1/24 model there is about 2cms in it which i feel for two cars of the same scale is massive

So my plan with no added details has made me take the decision to glue the hood on as the engine wont be much good anyway

More to come very soon

Shaun

• Like 2

So as promised here is how my painting turned out

20150115_164722_zpslkfrveqd.jpg

The blue is a tamiya can made for their red bull rb6 f1 car but it looked close enough not to worry about plus it is a metallic

20150115_164726_zpsatdjmxlq.jpg

In the below pic im not really sure why or even how it has not gone down so well on the panel line but i will paint about in black to make them stand out

20150115_164740_zpsdejorpzp.jpg

Being a rattle can i will most probably get some decals on tomorrow

Shaun

So the decaling has commenced and they are possibly the worst decals ever made, they don't like staying down, they don't like decal softener, they don't like heat, they are incredibly thin, and when get on properly they have a very grainy feel and once they have desided to stay on there in no room for movement. So rant about revell usa decals over here is how I have done so far

20150116_192257_zps80tnxckr.jpg

As you can see in the pic above the decals are not even the right size

20150116_192306_zpsyn2w6qeu.jpg

20150116_192318_zpsaarjf4hu.jpg

Hopefully i can have the decals finished tomorrow then i should be able to get it in for a clear coat on sunday (weather permitting)

Shaun

Last day off work today so I have really hit this car with all i have so i have been able to do this today: cleared the body for the third time, got most of the floor pan painted, painted the roll cage and painted the rims and i am just about to start with these god awful vinyl tyres ( not sure how they will react to a rubbing down)

Hopefully i will get some pics later but dont hold me to that

Shaun

So a bit of bad news i have some how either lost the clear plastic parts or they were not with the kit and after an email to both revell Germany and revell usa i can't get replacements. So at this point I was massively annoyed then for what i think has to be the first time my absolutely lovely other half pulled out a container for some xmas lights we had used last year with crystal clear plastic (thick too) and suggested I make my own.

So now it won't be a 100% legal nascar but she has saved that day

New "glass" cut to size and painted just need to mucky it up abit now and get rid of a ridiculously placed part code on the tyres, literally it is on the outside face of the tyre from rim to tread and it takes up 1/4 of the circle, but it's just another quirk of these old nascar kits i suppose

Anyway rant about the poor quality of this kit over here's my fix

20150130_173223_zpssxxtpkc2.jpg

In reality i should finish this tomorrow but i know that it wont be

Shaun

• Like 1

shood, quick tip on the tyres. Using a sharp knife, remove the inner ridge from the rubber so you can turn the tyre around and install the tyre on the rim with the numbers on the inside. You can then decal the clean side, without worrying about rubbing down the moulded numbers or ruining the tyre surface.

I know the pain of these kits, been building NASCAR models since the late 90s and still have loads left in my stash (though a 6 yr modelling hiatus has slowed my building a lot).

Edited by Happy Martian

Looking really good.

Lovely finish with the blue but I'm wondering why the panel gaps are showing as very light...

What primer did you use?

A hint for the future: If your final colour is quite dark - such as this blue, go over all your panel lines with a thin black permanent marker before you apply the top coats.

All the lines will come up darker at the end, which is what you want, and you won't get the light effect on the gaps.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Well, it's nice to see someone having a bash at one of these kits....as you are discovering they are not the best and require a lot of work from the builder to shape them into something resembling a stock car.

Most builders never bother with the kit decals are they are awful....

Watch for the ride height when you assemble the chassis. OTB they look like tractors. You should be able to see that on the box photos of the model. Most builders cut the rear shock pins down which will snug the rear axle up further and remove the front pins and re-drill them to lower the front. This should give the car a much more aggressive stance... like this....

DSCN0070_0001-vi.jpg

I did this one a little lower as it ran on a short track...

DSCN0069_0001-vi.jpg

The two models feature aftermarket decals.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Edited by The Sheene Machine

This is going to be a relatively small update as it's getting near the end

So here goes

The tyres

20150201_170006_zps3xihdqny.jpg

And now after a flat clear hand painted over to seal the decals

20150201_223139_zps0iskbarx.jpg

And for the body, i only did what i have as i caught the bristol race from 2009 a couple of nights ago and all the cars looked exactly the same at the end of the race

20150201_172043_zpsv94gp1yr.jpg

20150201_172102_zps2iptjqut.jpg

20150201_172133_zps9pj7ynij.jpg

20150201_172123_zpsj9tg4sd2.jpg

In this next pic i only wiped the windscreen to get a hair off of it and it turned into this but honestly im actually quite happy with it

20150201_172141_zpsxggbldpl.jpg

So the main bits now is to check the above advice about stance and make sure its super low and i want to imitate bupms and brushes so i think my trusty silver foil is coming out

Shaun

Woke up to a nice surprise this morning of no work today as the company boss can't get back and he has the office keys (which everyone has said is a bad idea to have all the keys with him but he never takes advice the little Hitler) so i have managed to get some work free kid free modeling time

More has been done with the wheels

20150202_085551_zpsqfwaviaf.jpg

And now they are finished

20150202_090520_zpsagdnkilc.jpg

Thanks to the advice of happy martian they have been done so much quicker than expected and without the PITA of rubbing down the numbers which are now on the inside of the tyres

If i can keep up this rate of building i can have this done today and get on with the lambo properly

Shaun