China/PRC - Mustang P-51D

CHINA/PRC

Mustang P-51D

1/72 AIRFIX

Well, after much hard discussions with myself, I think that I'll be able to start this one soon, and it's only time.

Another Mustang? Yes, another, but at the same time, I understand that there was none already started in this GB, and thinking about PRC/China, I'm sure you would have thought about another aircraft. So Mustang it is.

I must say that the box was already open, as I wanted to tackle it shortly after my return from abroad, but nothing came of it, so, time for another try.

What have we in the box?

Well, there's a nice review by Paul over here, which cover already everything, but let me show you what's in MY box.

That was the boxart.

plaaf_10.jpg

Then what's left of the sprues...

plaaf_11.jpg

plaaf_12.jpg

Then, what's not so common under thoses lattitudes, the decal sheet I'll be using.

Bestfong, from Taiwan, decal sheet N°72055, NA P-51D/K in PLAAF, with three options.

plaaf_13.jpg

Here are the decals.

plaaf_14.jpg

I'm a bit lazy, so I've asked Ed to give a hand.

plaaf_15.jpg

And here's what I have as a guideline.

aerode10.jpg

• Like 2

Cool. An uncommon scheme for the P-51D and all the better for that. Been planning to do the same with some spare Airfix MiG-15 decals shared by a kind BM member so will be taking a close interest in your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

My first task will be the cockpit, which I find detailled enough for this scale.

Nevertheless, there's still room for improvement.

Here I start filling somes holes that could be seen once the airframe is closed.

Some other will be left as they are, being in some non-strategic locations.

I've also cut the seat's base, as I'll use a resin one, and I want to be sure to be able to close the canopy.

plaaf_16.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some news, at last...

The pit can be considered finished.

No difficult build, but there were some issues with airfix shitty plastic (Chewing gum?), as I did broke the stick, and was left with no other choice than to keep a big blob of CA glue at the breaking point, as I was not able to sand it properly without breaking it again...(Talking about shitty plastic, the main gear legs are completely warped, and will be difficult to repair also...Airfix if yo hear me...)

I suspect also that assembling the two half fuselage will not be that easy...

Well.

Pit is painted interior green, with black instrument board, radio pack, and also the wooden floor covered in tar-like material.

I did use the decals instrument, which seem sufficient to me, and added a few (very few touch of color here and there, trying hard to avoid the Xmas tree effect.

plaaf_20.jpg

The resin seat is a welcome addition, specificaly due to the presence of harness.

Just a few drop of paint, et voilà!!!

I'm not satisfied with my own color choice for the harness, but I'll try to live with it.

plaaf_21.jpg

The whole thing.

Note to myself: A bit of cleaning would be welcome BEFORE taking any pics!

plaaf_22.jpg

Wel, I must also work on my photo setup....

• Like 1

Antoine, welcome to the "modellers who broke the stick on the 1/72 Airfix kit club" ! Really, it's something that happens to most modellers building this kit, the combination of soft plastic, thin parts and large sprue gates is not good at all.

The warped gear legs are another common problem of this kit.

In any case, you managed to get a very good looking cockpit !

• Like 1

Not the best day to take pictures, but.... (anyway, with me at the controls, whatever the day...).

After some sanding here and there, as the pit makes the fuselage difficult to close, it's done.

And while Iwas at it, the wings also.

plaaf_23.jpg

And trying for more realism, I've also drilled the spent case chute.

Then the landing lights.

plaaf_24.jpg

• Like 2