The 1/48 Catalina WIP thread - Two for the price of one!

Mark

It's a profile gauge, used to measure the shape of a complex curve (like, as it might be, a Catalina fuselage). The pins start off loose, so you put them into your Cat fuselage (or whatever) and they take up the shape. Then you clamp them, and on the other side of gauge you have a perfect representation of your shape, and you can cut the bulkhead right. Superbly useful bits of kit; I use mine all the time.

Mark, you make this stuff look so easy; wonderful neat work. I am so glad I voted for the Cat(s)!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

You know, I'm really glad the Cat(s) won in the end! I was looking forward to doing the P-61, which is still there and will still get built.

But the research into, and building of, the Catalina's has been a really great start to 2015! :)

• Like 1

I was like that

The Cat was such an iconic thing for me, 'cos dad flew in them during WW2 but I found I knew almost nothing

I'm glad you are building them they are really going to be a good 'un

With the great extra detailing you have already got down it's a guaranteed banker

b

Edited by perdu

I'm trying to replicate the walkways that ran down the centre of the hull / fuselage or whatever you call it!

The one that I have constructed so far looks a bit over scale, more like a horizontal ladder!

walkway_zpsd41b983e.jpg

I've sourced some diamond tread pattern anti-slip stuff in plastic sheets in 1/48 scale, would that be more appropriate? Or would it be too modern?

Here's a photo of the stuff:

pls91684.jpg

Here's the link here

Mark I wouldn't go with the diamond tread, looks to me as if you are right in the ball park with that walkway

Do you mind if I drop a few pictures in that may help you?

I will pull them out if you like of course

here's a nice one of the walkway, maybe in a restoration again it seems, but who knows?

Those bunks look authentic to me

16079167958_8806217d6f_o.jpg

And here too with better definition another

15644278144_3767b4fb30_o.jpg

Yours might need a few more tread strips is all

Bill

Edited by perdu

It's a profile gauge, used to measure the shape of a complex curve (like, as it might be, a Catalina fuselage). The pins start off loose, so you put them into your Cat fuselage (or whatever) and they take up the shape. Then you clamp them, and on the other side of gauge you have a perfect representation of your shape, and you can cut the bulkhead right. Superbly useful bits of kit; I use mine all the time.

OK, thank you very much for the answer! That does indeed sound like a very useful tool for scratching!

Admiral, Sir!

200.gif

Nope, I did know that, a good solid spar it shall be then.

Caszerino, yep, exactly what ex-FAAWAFU said. It's also known as a contour gauge. I would not be without mine and they are not expensive, a good hardware store should have them.

And Perdu? Damn!!!!! OK, good news that I'm on the right track, but having seen that photo I am a few more strips short all over! In fact I'm about 5 miles short of Evergreen's finest plastic! Oh well, off to the model shop tomorrow...

Seriously though, I really appreciate the input. I know this will never be perfect and an exact replica, but I want to get close. I really like the bunk shot as I never seen a photo of the top bunk suspended with the supports like that, I assumed it was a lower support that held it in place. Thanks!

If any of you invest on-line, here's a top tip. Evergreen Plastics will go through the roof tomorrow!

• Like 1

Caszerino, yep, exactly what ex-FAAWAFU said. It's also known as a contour gauge. I would not be without mine and they are not expensive, a good hardware store should have them.

Yeah, I checked them out on Amazon and a similar one to yours, "Made In USA", was $9! I'll definitely be getting one soon, I have a feeling I'm going to need it before I start any of these B-24 Liberator kits. Thanks again! :)

• Like 1

I`ve been avoiding this thread like the plague because I really want to build a 1/48th Catalina but I don`t have the room so I didn`t want a carrot dangling in my face,...but guess what,.....I relented,......and now I want a Catalina even more now!! You are doing a superb job,..keep up the great work,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony!

Yes of course and a total inspiration! But I have never seen the finished article. There are photos of the interior painted, as well as lit, but after that it kind of died a death and may probably be sitting on the IPMS Deutschland shelf of doom....

Thanks all for your support, I've been to the local model shop, which I really should give a free advert for as they've been been fantastic in my years here in France. Here's their website here. Such lovely people and a real family owned business that caters for us about most genres of modelling.

They also stock evergreen strip and plastic sheet, as my bank card knows after my visit today!

Back to the bench tomorrow morning! :D

• Like 1

A mammoth day in the office. As mentioned earlier by Tony, Jorge Wolf has published online his Catalina and this has been a massive inspiration. I only hope that I can keep the momentum going as this is becoming something of an obsession!

Here's today's progress:

DSC_8873_zps2b37f871.jpg

DSC_8874_zps97ed5697.jpg

DSC_8875_zps0ea5dd9e.jpg

A bit of 'artistic licence' is creeping in as I have no idea what the radio boxes look like! I have stolen a radio set from Tamiya's Mosquito, and I believe that is the Marconi type R 1155A set that was very common in RAF WWII aircraft. It's the one with the Blue, Red and Yellow knobs, so that should add some colour!

Thanks for looking in, it must be 'wine time' by now? ;)

• Like 7

!!55 should also have the 1154 if I remember that properly but what you really need is the In Detail And Scale number 66 for the Cat

It is mega well detailed for interior shots

There is one like this for example but I cant recommend getting it enough to you

I found it invaluable

I'm not sure about posting it here though I dont want Mike (or myself) getting serious complaints about copyright

Thanks Bill!

I've just sourced a copy on Amazon. :)

Conundrum time.

1. The table is too big and in the wrong place.

2. It cannot be seen once the fuselage halves are assembled.

So why do I have this uncontrollable urge to change it?? :mental:

• Like 1

Having recently seen a photo of said table, it looks as if it is the width of the two frames forward of the main gear bay, but in front of that there is another bulkhead that will need to be completely scratch built as this is not supplied in the Revell box. There is another shelf above the table and tons of radio kit.

But this will all be invisible...!!

I'm insane, it's official. :wacko:

I wouldnt worry too much

Madness IS mandatory for this game

Think about the nav's table nearly twice as wide

I'm going to shamefully share this previously secret picture with the brotherhood

(for the first and only time my unpublished WIP surfaces, bad interior and paint YUKK )

Dont chuckle too loud

16094799390_345b596f50_c.jpg

Edited by perdu

So why do I have this uncontrollable urge to change it?? :mental:

Because you have not taken your medication :doh:

The more I look at this build Mark, the more it looks like CAD shots. The detail is superb. Just keep it coming. :eat:

Dick

• Like 1