The 1/48 Catalina WIP thread - Two for the price of one!

Mark

It all began when I cleared out the model room over Christmas (not in any way to make space for more kits ;)) and I started to catalogue the kits with the associated after market stuff that I had collected along the way A few larger kits stood out that could be the subjects of longer, more detailed builds and, very tongue-in-cheek, I started the the 'vote for the build you want to see' thread here.

The Catalina won fair and square and was easily the most popular, so research began and the bits and pieces collected into the one, huge box that holds all 162 parts of nicely moulded, grey plastic. There are many reviews of this kit online but the fact that Squadron awarded the PBY-5 version 'Kit of the Year' on it's release in 1996 should count towards the fact that this is a very nice kit indeed.

It's big!! The wingspan is nearly 65cm wide and the fuselage comes out at over 41cm. Below you'll see a comparison between the fuselage of Revell's PBY-5A and Tamiya's 1/48 Lancaster. Ask any enthusiast which was the bigger aircraft and I bet that they'd say the Lancaster by far! It certainly surprised me to see just how big the aircraft really is.

But, and there always seems to be a but in my WIP projects, the aircraft I really wanted to do was the Catalina mk.IVA, JV928 'Y' as flown by Fg. Off. John Alexander Cruickshank VC of No. 210 Squadron RAF, Sullom Voe, Shetland Islands, on the 17th July, 1944.

F/Off. Cruickshank was awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions during the sinking of U-361 commanded by Kptlt. Hans Seidel. Here is the announcement and accompanying citation, published in the London Gazette on 1st September, 1944:

Air Office, 1st September, 1944.

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the VICTORIA CROSS on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery: —

Flying Officer John Alexander CRUICKSHANK (126700), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. No. 210 Squadron.

This officer was the captain and pilot of a Catalina flying boat which was recently engaged on an anti-submarine patrol over northern waters. When a U-boat was sighted on the surface, Flying Officer Cruickshank at once turned to the attack. In the face of fierce anti-aircraft fire he manoeuvred into position and ran in to release his depth charges. Unfortunately they failed to drop.

Flying Officer Cruickshank knew that the failure of this attack had deprived him of the advantage of surprise and that his aircraft offered a good target to the enemy's determined and now heartened gunners.

Without hesitation, he climbed and turned to come in again. The Catalina was met by intense and accurate fire and was repeatedly hit. The navigator/bomb aimer, was killed. The second pilot and two other members of the crew were injured. Flying Officer Cruickshank was struck in seventy-two places, receiving two serious wounds in the lungs and ten - penetrating wounds in the lower limbs. His aircraft was badly damaged and filled with the fumes of exploding shells. But he did not falter. He pressed home his attack, and released the depth charges himself, straddling the submarine perfectly. The U-boat was sunk.

He then collapsed and the second pilot took over the controls. He recovered shortly afterwards and, though bleeding profusely, insisted on resuming command and retaining it until he was satisfied that the damaged aircraft was under control, that a course had been set for base and that all the necessary signals had been sent. Only then would he consent to receive medical aid and have his wounds attended to. He refused morphia in case it might prevent him from carrying on.

During the next five and a half hours of the return flight he several times lapsed into unconsciousness owing to loss of blood. When he came to his first thought on each occasion was for the safety of his aircraft and crew. The damaged aircraft eventually reached base but it was clear that an immediate landing would be a hazardous task for the wounded and less experienced second pilot. Although able to breathe only with the greatest difficulty, Flying Officer Cruickshank insisted on being carried forward and propped up in the second pilot's seat. For a full hour, in spite of his agony and ever-increasing weakness, he gave orders as necessary, refusing to allow the aircraft to be brought down until the conditions of light and sea made this possible without undue risk.

With his assistance the aircraft was safely landed on the water. He then directed the taxying and beaching of the aircraft so that it could easily be salvaged. When the medical officer went on board, Flying Officer Cruickshank collapsed and he had to be given a blood transfusion before he could be removed to hospital.

By pressing home the second attack in his gravely wounded condition and continuing his exertions on the return journey with his strength failing all the time, he seriously prejudiced his chance of survival even if the aircraft safely reached its base. Throughout, he set an example of determination, fortitude and devotion to duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the Service.

Later promoted to Flt. Lt. Cruickshank, he was one of only four serving members of RAF Coastal Command who were recipients of the Victoria Cross during WWII; the other three were awarded posthumously.

I hope that you see why I would want to build this aircraft?

The Catalina flown in that attack was a mk.IVA flying boat, not the amphibious mk.IIIA version which is the RAF equivalent of the PBY-5A and the 1/48 model kit that I have. With all the aftermarket sets that I have accrued, there was only one thing to do. Buy another kit!

A quick search on that auction site revealed a willing seller of a Monogram PBY-5 and the plan is now to do two!!

The PBY-5 will be built as JV928 'Y' of 210 Squadron, the aircraft flown by Flt. Lt. Cruikshank VC on the 17th July 1944. This will be the model that will be detailed with the sets I have.

The original PBY-5A kit will be built as FP527 'O' of 330 (Norwegian) Squadron, operating in the North Atlantic fromReykjavik, Iceland, in 1942.

Here are the first shots, then, of this project, starting with the box top and sprues of the re-release of Revell's PBY-5A:

DSC_8839_zps474ac80b.jpg

DSC_8828_zpsa576dfeb.jpg

DSC_8829_zps75e31a11.jpg

DSC_8830_zps36e7fd96.jpg

DSC_8832_zps9a3e4a4e.jpg

DSC_8834_zps99a8399a.jpg

DSC_8836_zps6c5f492a.jpg

As mentioned, the above kit of the PBY-5A will be of the 330 (Norwegian) Sqn mk.IIIA but the PBY-5 (when it arrives) will be built as a mk.IVA and will have far more detail added with some of the after market sets below. I'll have to sort out what goes best where as I start building them both. Anyway, there's five or six Eduard etched sets, True Details wheels and cockpit resin sets, plus the much better Pratt & Whitney R-1830 engines by Quickboost and the now essential Eduard windscreen masks.

Thanks for stopping by to look and wish me luck!

• Like 12

Speaking for myself, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with it :) I was talking to JohnT about this very kit t'other day, and he suggested the Belcher Bits replacement tail, as the fin is almost 10mm too wide at the base. Check out their site, and have a shufti at the fitting instructions for more info ;)

A Norwegian Catalina, now this I am looking forward to! Even though the P-61 lost, I guess I would consider myself somewhat of a "Consolidated fanboy" so this works for me! :pilot:

I am grateful for the enthusiasm for this one, but don't get too excited folks! I'm well-known for not finishing what I started... :weep:

Anyway, Michael, two tails are on their way from Canada as I write. :)

Dick, I've read through some of that site and it is, indeed, very poignant reading. If it wasn't so damned cold and windy up there, I'd like to have a trek and look around some of the sites.

Here's the progress on the mk.IIIA cockpit (the one I said would be OOB... yeah, right! Who was I trying to kid?) But no aftermarket, just good old fashioned scratch building.

DSC_8841_zps35893aed.jpg

DSC_8845_zpscefea0e6.jpg

I know that a lot of this is going to be hidden away, but there are a few visible things that are easily changed. The rudder and brake pedals for example. OOB they are just too fat, so a little work with a scalpel, a file and some stretched sprue soon got them looking more in scale. I am only detailing the rear bulkhead as some of that is visible through the windows, and I'll be putting some interior framing on the fuselage sides, once I've scraped away the biggest ejector pin marks I've ever seen!

p.s. I knew that Punch and Die set would eventually come in handy!!

• Like 1

Trivia night

As Steve Wright would jingle

"It's another true story"

John Cruikshank went to my old school The Royal High before heading to Robert Gordon's in Aberdeen. He would have been at the Royal High at about the same time as Eric "Winkle" Brown

Must have been something they put in the school dinners back then

• Like 2

And I worked in Aberdeen in 1990! I didn't fly the Catalina though, but I did do the North Sea runs to the Shetland Isles in a Vickers Viscount; two rotations a day, five days a week, for 18 months. I got to know Sumburgh very well!

Question time: The interior, would that have been RAF Interior Green or U.S. Interior Green?

Superb!! Trying to motivate you as much as you like :) I really want to see this one finished.

Love the scratch-build details. I also think the OOB kit is already a great one and quite fun to build. Looking forward to the completed

interior and first paints :) Keep it up

Ok. I'm here for the duration. :cheers: Great progress Mark. Good to see the cat out of the bag..................( some one was going to say it so it might as well be me :bleh: )

This is turning into a master class.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps!

Now, there are a few questions relating to the colour scheme(s).

1. What was the interior colour? US or RAF Interior Green?

2. Flt. Lt. Cruikshank's aircraft is included in the decal sheet here:

ML48198.jpg

The upper surfaces are just plain dark sea grey, whereas other references show the scheme as being in a green / grey camouflage. Any thoughts? Also did his aircraft have the AN/APS radar at the time of the famous U-boat attack?

• Like 1

Mark, I have found from experience that MA decals and their associated books are not always 100% reliable. I would think grey / green would be correct.

According to Scale Aviation Modeller International September 1996. It states that the interior is green zinc chromate.

I also have an article from the sam mag. about cats in Norwegian service if you are interested.

Dick

Edited by jenko

Fun?? FUN?? If you call going to bed at 01:30am, dreaming Catlinas, getting up at 07:30hrs, grabbing a coffee then straight down to the model room to continue this masochistic project fun, then I guess it must be! I'm rather obsessed about all things Catalinas right now and I'm only having a break now because I've forgotten to eat today!

Anyway, a quick update of where I'm at with the starboard fuselage half. I think I'm halfway there on the first of four halves!

DSC_8863_zpsd90e1371.jpg

DSC_8860_zps6f97ab77.jpg

Thanks for the information, Dick, that's a great help! I was hoping that it was camouflaged as the mk.IIIA is overall Blue/Grey M-485 over Light Grey M-495, I wanted something a little more colourful on the upper surfaces rather than just a uniform colour again.

Talking of the 330 (Norwegian) Sqn. Catalina mk.IIIA, this is the scheme she will be completed in:

Catalina_FP527_port.gif

The rear fuselage has had the paint stripped, but down to what? Is that bare metal?? Or primer??

And if anyone can help with a suitably sized Norwegian pennant, that would also be a great help.

• Like 5

I know (and remember with some awe) that kind of obsession with the mighty Cat

There is so much to learn about them and their ways and it did drive me for ages when I was 'interioring' the Airfix 1/72 scale one

I shall sit here and enjoy watching you try not to become obsessed, but...

Well, you know what happens ;)

How nice to have one with interior detailing already begun for you

And what a nice job you have made of adding to it :thumbsup:

Classic build coming on, where did I put that popcorn

b

Oh yes, I was pointed at zinc chromate too rather than grey-green but in the end I grey-greened it after seeing a few nicely made ones in g-g

The pictures I did find looked more g-g than zinc chromate

I got the impresssion that this is a genuine early service US navy picture, can't see the RAF getting different interior colours myself but there's enough folks round here with better info

15623383454_e8d2bb9f6d_o.jpg

This one could confuse but I think the picture is of a refurb post war showing Zinc Chromate but, what is that old paint up inside the pylon

Hmm grey-green I think

16219894166_12b7ae6698_z.jpg

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Interesting photo Perdu! I count at least four shades of Green there! Plus a splurge of Zinc Chromate Yellow? Well, No-one is going to see the inside of my pylons, so I'm going to stick with a monochromatic interior pylon colour!

Here's the latest from this afternoon's session:

DSC_8867_zps34b4bd4b.jpg

DSC_8866_zps31e06437.jpg

DSC_8865_zps78ff21a6.jpg

DSC_8864_zps1aaac463.jpg

DSC_8869_zpsa302eeee.jpg

Now off for a well-earned beer! :cheers:

• Like 6

have one for me

And no beggar is ever going to see the inside of mine either :)

TBQH I'm not sure why I even made the flight engineers panel, it's way out of line of sight

I like the bunks on yours, excellent

b

• Like 1