Interesting trop Hurricanes over on ebay: Filters and schemes

Steven Eisenman

An interesting collection, especially for anyone interested in the tropical filter on the Mk.I, which has not been produced in kit or aftermarket form. Several of them appear to be pretty familiar, and I wonder if they are worth the price being paid?

Yes I was bidding on a few of those for my Malta collection and was top bidder until 5 minutes to go then `whoosh',.........as usual I was gazzumped!! Ba**rds!

Cheers

Tony

Hi

Somewhere in the moving boxes, I have some of these, (likewise copies of originals) and some 'malta' ones, P-39, lodestar..i think.. a 126 erk let me copy them, about 30yrs ago..

I will try to find them over the next few weekends, as I have to move some boxes.

cheers

Jerry

Yes I was bidding on a few of those for my Malta collection and was top bidder until 5 minutes to go then `whoosh',.........as usual I was gazzumped!! Ba**rds!

Tony

get an auction sniper. Ebay is a waste of time otherwise for auctions anyway. Decide what you'll pay, set the sniper, I go for 3 seconds before end, and that's it. Stops bidding wars. Won't work if the other bidder uses one and bid higher, but otherwise well worth the 25 cents a successful snipe costs...

If this is news, that's how you get outbid in the last 3 seconds.....

An interesting collection, especially for anyone interested in the tropical filter on the Mk.I, which has not been produced in kit or aftermarket form. Several of them appear to be pretty familiar, and I wonder if they are worth the price being paid?

Not in 1/72nd, but in 1/48th there are, in some Hasegawa Mk I boxings and the Ark kit has them.

No. I can't speak for the 1/48 examples without seeing them, but the 1/72 one from Red Roo is condemned by the "fits all Hurricane kits" comment. The filter on the Mk.I has different lines to that on the Mk.II - it is shorter (as is the Mk.I nose) and hugs the nose contours more. There are a large number of the later filters available for the Mk.II/IV - the Red Roo one appears to be one of these and may well be entirely suitable for that. But not for all variants.

OK.

I did once carve a balsa housing for V7476, Australias only Hurricane. My next 1/72 version will have its housing based on the Red Roo accessory.

In 1/48, Hasegawa made a credible fist of their Volkes filter housing.

G