HMS M1 - 1/350 scale resin kit

This superb resin kit originates in the Czech Republic - made by ROP o.s.

The hull and superstructure are cast in one piece - with the dive planes, gun, masts etc cast separately.

A small etched-brass fret provides the propellers guard rails etc....

350-HMS%20M1_01.jpg

Decals are provided for HMS M1 - plus a small ensign.....

350-HMS%20M1_02.jpg

That bilge keel is moulded in-situ and is extremely delicate - i've nearly broken it off on two occasions.

350-HMS%20M1_03.jpg

I've made a start by adding the rear diving planes - with their etched-brass guards, plus the rudder and prop shafts.

Trying to hold the hull whilst avoiding damage to those keels is proving very difficult....

350-HMS%20M1_04.jpg

I have also drilled out the dozens of free-flood holes in the superstructure - they are present in the casting, but need enhancing.

More later.

Ken

PS - Does anyone have any input on the colours she was painted??

I want to do her in the 'disruptive' camo pattern seen on the box top - but can't decide on the colours used.

It looks like very light grey / off-white on the hull and vertical surfaces - with blue-grey for the camo and all horizontal surfaces.

Any input welcome

• Like 7

A truly bonkers boat - and, as you say, what looks like a beautiful casting. Looking forward to this one; I picked up a top tip from your USS Tunny build, so I'm all yours.

• Like 1

I found this gorgeous RC model of M1....... http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=75298&p=5

I might go with those colours - very pale grey/off-white upper and grey-green disruptive pattern.

I'm not sure about the anti-fouling red below the waterline though - although the builder probably did lots of research and it does make for a colourful model.

My model of HMS Odin is B&W + red - but she was painted for the China Station.....

350_Odin_04.jpg

• Like 2