RAF MIldenhall to close?

c.smith10

...seems like I'm too late for the party. I went to Mildenhall for the first and only time last year. I couldn't find a good place to park and watch anything and nothing was flying anyway. For a few years I've heard rumours that the Mildenhall airshow would be staged again, so I was hoping I would eventually get to attend one, but that's now probably not going to happen either.

What about U-2S and other "special" operations (e.g. WB-57F)? They are usually based at either Fairford or Mildenhall afaik...

ANd what about the RC-135? They are staying over here. Will they re deploy to Waddo or maybe Fairford?

More likely the latter.

But one thing for sure...no more airshows there.....DEFINITELY!

I think they will go to Waddo and Join the RAF ones and the Sentries, pool resources and minimise the costs

confirmed that the RC-135 will stay.

Full list from the US DOD

United Kingdom

• Divest RAF Mildenhall — returns the installation and four supported sites to the United Kingdom. DOD intends to relocate the operational units at RAF Mildenhall within Europe — the assigned KC-135s and the 352nd Special Operations Group to Germany and the assigned RC-135s within the U.K. This paves the way for the stationing of two squadrons of F-35s at RAF Lakenheath, starting in 2020.

• Divest RAF Alconbury/RAF Molesworth: Consolidation of missions allows the permanent return of RAF Alconbury, RAF Molesworth, and supporting sites to the United Kingdom. The majority of U.S. personnel, and many of the U.S.-funded host nation positions assigned to these bases, will be transferred to RAF Croughton.

Germany

• Close Mainz-Kastel Station — fully returns the site to Germany.

• Close Barton Barracks — fully returns the site to Germany and relocates the Department of Defense Dependents Schools Bavaria district office to Grafenwöhr.

• Partially close Pulaski Barracks in the Kaiserslautem area — returns part of the site to Germany.

• Close Weilimdorf warehouse site — returns the site to German control.

• Close two Baumholder waterworks — returns control to Germany.

• Relocate HQs DISA-Europe from Stuttgart to Kaiserslautem.

• Close Amelia Earhart Hotel in Wiesbaden.

• Partially close Artillery Kaserne in Garmisch — returns two-thirds of the site to Germany.

• Restructure the Army Air Force Exchange Services bakery and water distribution operations at Grünstadt.

• Close Husterhöh Kaserne in Pirmasens — returns the site to Germany.

• Relocate mail sorting/distribution from German Aerial Mail Terminal in Frankfurt to Germersheim Army Depot — efficiencies and personnel moves only.

• Create a distribution center of excellence at Germersheim Army Depot.

• Consolidate various communication data centers across EUCOM.

• Close commissaries at Illesheim and Sembach, as well as the four commissaries in Stuttgart at Kelley Barracks, Patch Barracks, Panzer Barracks, and Robinson Barracks, once a new replacement store on Panzer is constructed.

• Consolidate Defense Media Activity operations across Europe.

• Consolidate communications, postal services, and personnel management that support the U.S. mission to NATO and the U.S. military delegation to the NATO military committee.

Belgium

• Divest leased site in Brussels — Consolidation of U.S. facilities in Brussels to Sterrebeek.

The Netherlands

• Divest Schinnen Emma Mine leased site, Netherlands and consolidate U.S. facilities at Brunssum.

Italy

• Place a portion of the Pisa Ammo Storage Area, near Livorno, into caretaker status.

• Partially close Camp Darby near Livorno. Returns about half of the installation to Italy.

• Convert the Vicenza Health Center to outpatient and specialty care only.

Portugal

• Streamline operations and property at Lajes Field — Reduces active duty, civilian personnel, and contract providers by two-thirds. A number of the buildings at Lajes will also be returned to Portugal.

Source: Department of Defense

• Like 1

As well as the bases themselves what's sad for me is that we say goodbye to the 100th ARW, which still carries the Square D logo from the old "Bloody100th" BG and is a direct link with the "Mighty Eighth" Air Force, which has such a rich history in East Anglia. So I expect there will be sadness on both sides.

J

Too far away, with unsuitable (read no) transport links. If Manston was ruled out, Mildenhall hasn't a prayer.

The base is within 3 miles of the A11, which is being dualled between Norwich and the top of the M11 Girton interchange with the A14. It is a very favourable location for airfreight as Uncle Sam has proven. The only downside is it is within the same MATZ as Lakenheath. That is why Martlesham was not used for Ipswich, (Bentwaters and Woodbridge MATZ). It also could have a rail spur from the Norwich - Ely line, Used to be rail linked and Lakenheath still is.

The Duelling of the A11 is now complete. And it's literally 5 minutes from 5 ways roundabout to the beck row or west row gate. To be fair I'd say mildenhall isn't in a bad location being about an hour from London and a bit less to Norwich.

• Like 1

The Duelling of the A11 is now complete. And it's literally 5 minutes from 5 ways roundabout to the beck row or west row gate. To be fair I'd say mildenhall isn't in a bad location being about an hour from London and a bit less to Norwich.

About time too! Those 2 ff's in traffic lights were on red forever

• Like 1

Don't hold your breath on those F-35 squadrons. Regarding the U.S. pulling back from some of its no long necessary commitments (I believe the UK is reasonably safe now from attack by the Soviet Union), it's about time. Not to be too political, but the U.S. spends far too much money on defence; how many troops does the U.S. have in Germany; to protect against what, an invasion from Poland? I too often times feel nostalgia when an aeroplane is retired, or an historic base is closed, but these things cost money, money that might be better spent elsewhere.

Regards,

Jason

So as not to get too Political...and the thread locked.

It's a strange old world we live in at the moment, who knows what may come creeping over the various borders of NATO members.

Although to be honest, the European members of NATO should stand up and spend their own cash rather than relying on the US.

Back on topic, the Mildenhall Air Fetes were probably the highlights of my year as a nipper. And on spotting days out,

a Mildenhall/Lakenheath trip or an Alconbury/Wyton trip were always good. Sorry to see them go.

The base is within 3 miles of the A11, which is being dualled between Norwich and the top of the M11 Girton interchange with the A14. It is a very favourable location for airfreight as Uncle Sam has proven. The only downside is it is within the same MATZ as Lakenheath. That is why Martlesham was not used for Ipswich, (Bentwaters and Woodbridge MATZ). It also could have a rail spur from the Norwich - Ely line, Used to be rail linked and Lakenheath still is.

Unfortunately Stansted is more central and already has the facilities.

Well the closure isn't gonna happen over night,both Anglia news & Look East mentioned 2019 for the closure.

I gave up on the aircraft spotting years ago,but i have great memories from both the airshow's and day to day flight op's.

For me Mildenhall will always have a special place in my heart for one thing....

IMG_04811_zpscd8d3222.jpg

Ah yes that brings back happy memories !!

It will be such a shame to see Mildenhall close ,I have very fond memories of that place ,the numerous Air Fetes I went to with my parents ,stopping in the viewing area on the way to and from Aldeburgh for our summer hols (Dad would make a special detour) sad times

So, Continue wittering on about a third Heathrow runway.

Or simply adapt an empty ex USAF base?

Don't want to go political here, But someone had to ask.

Would it be viable?

Shame it didn't happen 10 years ago. We could have moved Brize there lock, stock and barrel rather than continuing to expand an already expanded pre-war expansion airfield.

In my perfect world, Marshall's buy Mildenhall and run a civvy side, with a continental/US style military compound for Rivet Joint and our eventual (!) P-8 procurement! :yikes:

• 2 months later...

Talking to some ex USAF guys who work there tonight. With the sabre rattling in Russia, there is talk of the base staying open.
If it does close, the base commander intends on holding an airshow before it shuts.

Watch this space.

• Like 3

Shame it didn't happen 10 years ago. We could have moved Brize there lock, stock and barrel rather than continuing to expand an already expanded pre-war expansion airfield.

In my perfect world, Marshall's buy Mildenhall and run a civvy side, with a continental/US style military compound for Rivet Joint and our eventual (!) P-8 procurement! :yikes:

Stranger things...........

In 1972 there were rumours at Brize it was being considered as one of London's airports. TWA and Pan-Am were supposed to have bought some land just in case. My bank manager was getting twitchy and asked me if I thought Brize was going to be an airport in the mid 80s thinking he was either going to make a killing on his pile or buried under concrete!I didn't believe it then and if those two airlines had bought land they were not the owners when those plots were sold to property developers,the built new housing estates in the late 70s- mid 90s. They were the original farmers and market gardeners that kicked Carterton into existence. I love rumours! they make great fertilisers!

Edited by bzn20

Talking to some ex USAF guys who work there tonight. With the sabre rattling in Russia, there is talk of the base staying open.

If it does close, the base commander intends on holding an airshow before it shuts.

Watch this space.

Shhh!!

Well, no more airshows on an ongoing basis, but the local news has been airing reports about plans for one last "farewell" airshow - that'll be one to go to!

Not clear in the reports that I saw when it might be but keeping a close eye on it.

See you all there for a burger and a Bud!

Rick

Well, no more airshows on an ongoing basis, but the local news has been airing reports about plans for one last "farewell" airshow - that'll be one to go to!

Not clear in the reports that I saw when it might be but keeping a close eye on it.

See you all there for a burger and a Bud!

Rick

Fingers crossed. :pray:

Unfortunately all true, and it will not be the only one to close, several USAFE bases will close, now also in Germany, I'm sorry what you all, I'm glad Aviano AB does not close, but will increase as vehicles and personnel. The southern flank of NATO is what arouses more worries, the threat of the Eastern countries has diminished after the end of the Cold War. Sorry for my mistake English, but I hope you can understand.

All the best from

Linus