RAF MIldenhall to close?

c.smith10

They've just mentioned this on BBC news, saying there's reports that the Pentagon have authorised US forces to pull out from the base.

As a Mildenhall resident the base has been part of my life from before i can remember! i even now work parallel to the flight line! the local community is going to take a hell of a hit if this does happen.

They have just built a housing estate in the village i live in and i'd say at least half the houses are occupied by americans!

It'll be a sad day when i hear the roar of a KC-135 for the last time!

:hmmm: very sad news. Although I haven't visited for a very long time I always enjoyed my monthly trips after a 3 hour drive from home all year round from 1974 onwards to about 1990 and thereafter up to the last air show I attended around '92.
It will be missed I'm sure. :weep::(

Thats sad news, went there for every airshow with my Dad till they stopped. Lots of memories and in its day is was the best airshow of the year imho

• Like 4

Gutted. Its going to be a lot quieter living under the flightpath.

The airshows always were the best of the calendar.

No sitting in the lounge, cocking an ear and saying to the thoroughly uninterested missus "that's one of the Osprey tiltrotors from Mildenhall." And just in case you were wondering, her response is usually "well tilt yourself towards the kitchen and make a cuppa before I die of thirst"!!

• Like 2

Actually I'm rather looking forward to seeing them although 5 years is a long time so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet! So what next for RAF mildenhall? Will marshalls move here? Will it be turned into an airport or will it just be used for more houses?

The facilities at Mildenhall are surely of a high standard and plentiful, wonder if the MOD will put it to use. Possibly at the cost of one or two other sites, just a thought!

ANd what about the RC-135? They are staying over here. Will they re deploy to Waddo or maybe Fairford?

...... Will it be turned into an airport or will it just be used for more houses?

More likely the latter.

But one thing for sure...no more airshows there.....DEFINITELY!

Really cant see a use for this base if it closes. There is no massive need for housing in this area other than demand which was caused by the base.

Also not sure of other people taking over the facilities. I think like other US bases things are US Specification not UK.

Can not understand a move to Germany as the Germans have made it a point to get all overseas military out of Germany.

• Like 1