1/48 - North American F/P-51D/K Mustang by Eduard - released - TF-51D conv. set by Halberd models in 2024

Homebee

On 7/13/2019 at 1:53 PM, Bedders said:

I don't do 1/48

I don't do 1/48

I don't do 1/48

I don't do 1/48

Blimey that looks like a wonderful Mustang kit

I don't do 1/48

Quite like that Airfix Spitfire XIV too

I don't do 1/48

And that Tamiya Mk I

I don't do 1/48

There's some great decal options for 1/48 Mustangs

I don't do 1/48

I might have a go at 1/48 for a change...

Justin

May the force be with you...

• Like 2

I am late to this forum but must mirror some of the earlier comments. Why another P-51D? The new Airfix is already much better than the Tamiya (if that was even possible) and the price is right. Here in the us it makes no sense to buy any kit at all from the US marketplace due to the high prices and the high cost of postage. I buy about 33% of my kits and other supplies from Hannants (the other 66% from the Czech republic and the Ukraine) because even with post it is much less expensive than from the US. The funny part is that I still find the old ICM kits of the D more than good enough. They sell for $11 new and are a nice copy of the Tamiya kit with some detail improvements. I might buy an Airfix kit but I doubt I will ever own one of the Eduard Mustangs. I can get 2 weeks of groceries or two tanks of gas for my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, for the price of the Eduard Mustang. Almost the combined gas and electric monthly bills for my 1900sq/ft house.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Otakar said:

I am late to this forum but must mirror some of the earlier comments. Why another P-51D? The new Airfix is already much better than the Tamiya (if that was even possible) and the price is right. Here in the us it makes no sense to buy any kit at all from the US marketplace due to the high prices and the high cost of postage. I buy about 33% of my kits and other supplies from Hannants (the other 66% from the Czech republic and the Ukraine) because even with post it is much less expensive than from the US. The funny part is that I still find the old ICM kits of the D more than good enough. They sell for $11 new and are a nice copy of the Tamiya kit with some detail improvements. I might buy an Airfix kit but I doubt I will ever own one of the Eduard Mustangs. I can get 2 weeks of groceries or two tanks of gas for my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, for the price of the Eduard Mustang. Almost the combined gas and electric monthly bills for my 1900sq/ft house.

Don't discount the Meng one too - it just falls together! :)

Mine arrived, while I was sceptical taking Meng's kit into account, have to say phenomenal kit, by far the best Mustang on the market today-detail wise, looking foreward to future boxing and how about more  Dual Combos ( aside from Royal Class)

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Otakar said:

Two questions spring to mind.

Are Eduard kits more expensive in the US than Europe?

How cheap are gas and utility bills in the US?

At the end of the day, you pays your money and makes your choice.  I have built the Tamiya and ICM kits and have the Airfix one in the stash plus the 1/32 Revell offering.  The Eduard kit is around £35 retail in the UK, compared to £21 for the Airfix kit.  If you add in the cost of the photo etch and the mask set, then the prices are probably pretty similar for the basic plastic.  The Meng kit is a total unknown to me, so I can't comment.

To date, I haven't seen the Eduard kit in the plastic but the photos would suggest that the surface detail is a lot finer than Airfix produce.  However, I will reserve judgement.  However, if it is pf the same quality as their recent releases - Me109, FW 190 etc then it should be very good indeed.

21 minutes ago, Tim T said:

The Eduard kit is around £35 retail in the UK, compared to £21 for the Airfix kit. 

in the UK Creative Models have a weekly specials page, 

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/this_weeks_specials-c-205.html?page=1&sort=2a

Eduard profipacks are often found there for £20-25,  the weekend editions for about £15.  

Not all of them end up on offer,  new specials on a Thursday

No post over £30 as well.    I got the Meng P-51D for £17.50 from here. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Otakar said:

Gas, utilities and groceries must be much cheaper in Chicago than California. As for postage I’ve found it cheaper to buy at the local hobby shop (Brookhurst Hobbies) or eBay compared to paying for postage from the Czech Republic.

32 minutes ago, 1015jim said:

Gas, utilities and groceries must be much cheaper in Chicago than California. As for postage I’ve found it cheaper to buy at the local hobby shop (Brookhurst Hobbies) or eBay compared to paying for postage from the Czech Republic.

Postage from Czech Republic if free if you buy $250 worth of items. I have a friend who likes Eduard's stuff, so together we will combine our orders. $125 each. That $125 goes a long way during a sale and I'm also a Bunny Fighter Club member. Sometimes there are sales where the discount is 30% for BFC members. Two Royal Class kits add up fast! 

Another advantage is buying the special BFC boxings for the same price as a regular kit, but they throw in something extra: decals, or resin.

It is IMHO unfair to compare the price of this first edition of the Eduard kit with the Airfix kit. This Eduard offering includes PE parts, masks and a decal sheet for 6 options, in line with other limited edition and profipack boxings from the same manufacturer.

The Airfix kit has no PE, no masks and offers 2 options on the decal sheet, that is what Eduard today offers in their Weekend Edition kits, priced quite a bit cheaper than the Profipacks and limited editions. Now at the moment there's no Weekend Edition of the P-51D, but even considering the Chattanooga Choo Choo box it looks quite good value, at least in my corner of the world: the Airfix kit retails for around €25, the Eduard kit is around €37... should I add PE and masks to the Airfix kit I'd have already spent the € 12 difference, add a decal sheet to cover 4 more subjects and I'd be well beyond € 40. I have no idea of what the Weekend Edition will cost, the Spitfires go for € 20-22, so comparable to the Airfix P-51D.

• Like 2