1/48 - North American F/P-51D/K Mustang by Eduard - released - TF-51D conv. set by Halberd models in 2024

Homebee

In my experience of building Eduard and recent Airfix kits, I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the Airfix kit, I'll happily wait for the Eduard kit. Eduard kits for the most part are much better than Airfix and I've built a few of each in both 1/48 and 1/72.

thanks

Mike

On 1/9/2019 at 1:20 AM, Masinissa said:

What may be really nice about the Eduard Mustang . . . there may not be any inserts for the various tail configurations and for the recce version. 

Wonder if they have any toughts of the Swedish recce version as well - the "S 26"...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 4:47 AM, Bedders said:

Because like so many of us I want Airfix to succeed. 

Well, given that Airfix now has 4 versions of the P-51 in their catalogue (including a fillet-less version), 3 of which are slated for release in 2019, I'd say the Mustang is doing well for them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Boman said:

Anyone know when Eduard is planning the first release of their new P-51?

IIRC they are planning on having a Profipack ready for the USA PMS Nationals in Chattanooga Tennessee which is in August, and then either Dual Combo called "The Mighty Eighth" or Royal Class will follow.   :eat:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It looks like they've resisted the temptation to cover the wings in pinhole ' rivets '. Yippee!

Yes they said the wing would have panel lines but no rivets, which is a good decision since they are competing with two other new tool  Mustangs. So all it needs is a few lines filling.

• Like 1

I thought that the small scoop on the lower fuselage below the wing trailing edge was introduced in very late P-51Ds.  I also thought that early P-51Ds had fabric covered elevators.  I distinctly remember seeing a  photo of a damaged P-51D with the fabric of the elevators punched out.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, mjfigg said:

I thought that the small scoop on the lower fuselage below the wing trailing edge was introduced in very late P-51Ds.  I also thought that early P-51Ds had fabric covered elevators.  I distinctly remember seeing a  photo of a damaged P-51D with the fabric of the elevators punched out.

P-51D-20-NA onwards had metal covered elevators from the factory but it was a widespread retrofit so it's quite possible that an earlier-built P-51 might have had them at the time appropriate for the kit decals. Given that 'Frenesi' was one of relatively few filletless P-51Ds to make it all the way to D-Day, and is depicted on the box art as wearing invasion stripes, it would not surprise me at all if the airframe had been retrofitted with metal covered elevators by that date.

Edited by Work In Progress

There were lots of filletless P-51D's on D-day, hardly any of the ones with fillets had been delivered at the time so this is wrong. Remember, the P-51D only started being delivered to units in the last few weeks prior to D-Day. 

If eduard follows with an early filletless 1/72 scale P-51D I wouldn't say no against rivets on the fuselage made as on their Spifire Mk. IXe.

But when it comes to the wings I would like wings without panellines and rivets as the wings where when filled, sanded and painted during the war...

Cheers / André

7 hours ago, Andre B said:

If eduard follows with an early filletless 1/72 scale P-51D I wouldn't say no against rivets on the fuselage made as on their Spifire Mk. IXe.

But when it comes to the wings I would like wings without panellines and rivets as the wings where when filled, sanded and painted during the war...

Cheers / André

I would think they will take the same decision they have here, at least that way there's only a few panel lines to fill.

In the editorial of the January issue of the Eduard Info it was mentioned that there won't be any rivets on the puttied parts of the wings, but the rest of the airframe will be riveted. There will be panel lines though as their opinion is that the borders of the surface panels were distinguishable. And if you don't share their opinion, you are free to fill them in :)

• Like 2