1/48 - North American F/P-51D/K Mustang by Eduard - released - TF-51D conv. set by Halberd models in 2024

Homebee

55 minutes ago, JBr said:

In the editorial of the January issue of the Eduard Info it was mentioned that there won't be any rivets on the puttied parts of the wings, but the rest of the airframe will be riveted. There will be panel lines though as their opinion is that the borders of the surface panels were distinguishable. And if you don't share their opinion, you are free to fill them in :)

Maybe I wasn't clear, that's what I was referring to :

• 1 month later...

Perhaps a bit nit-picky, but the fit of the windshield part is not fantastic, the gap at the rear is unusual for Eduard's normally high standards. I also see that the wingtip trailing edge has gone, that's normally my trick!

Still, looks good generally for me to my inexpert eye

Cheers 

Les

2 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

Perhaps a bit nit-picky, but the fit of the windshield part is not fantastic, the gap at the rear is unusual for Eduard's normally high standards. I also see that the wingtip trailing edge has gone, that's normally my trick!

Still, looks good generally for me to my inexpert eye

Cheers 

Les

What gap are you referring to sir? The one directly behind the canopy? that's for the center canopy roller.  I'm sure they will tighten up anything small.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, boom175 said:

What gap are you referring to sir? The one directly behind the canopy? that's for the center canopy roller.  I'm sure they will tighten up anything small.

The front transparency has a little gap where it sits in the fuselage cutout for the part. It looks like they have moulded part of the fuselage with the windshield to make glueing easier, away from the transparent part, but that the cutout is slightly too long. Nothing major.

Cheers

Les

6 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

The front transparency has a little gap where it sits in the fuselage cutout for the part. It looks like they have moulded part of the fuselage with the windshield to make glueing easier, away from the transparent part, but that the cutout is slightly too long. Nothing major.

Cheers

Les

OK I see what you are saying, I think they will tighten that up. If not a simple fix , but one that should be caught now and refined in the test shot stage. Good catch.

It maybe just the angle of the photo but where the nose pinches in on the intake right at the front, it doesn't pinch in as much on the Eduard kit. It may look better once the intake lip is fitted ( sorry if this was mentioned in the article but my phone won't  translate that page ).

P4290670.jpg

p-51d-25-na_30_of_36.jpg

p-51d-25-na_32_of_36.jpg

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

It maybe just the angle of the photo but where the nose pinches in on the intake right at the front, it doesn't pinch in as much on the Eduard kit. It may look better once the intake lip is fitted ( sorry if this was mentioned in the article but my phone won't  translate that page ).

P4290670.jpg

I compared the Hasegawa P-51D to the Tamiya. Hasegawa's nose is a little fuller in volume and doesn't have the same pinch it the lower nose.

Here's a real Mustang to compare

NASM-NASM-9A02626-000002.jpg

Meng Courtesy of Scalespot.com

image075.jpg

Airfix P-51D nose

eduard48930_2.jpg

Hasegawa P-51D nose. From Hyperscale Built by Luis Antonio Reyes

11_fs.jpg

• Like 1

On one hand surface detail is definitely superb, on the other does Eduard truely not have slide moulding technology that would enable them to tool one piece more complex shapes ( like upper cowling), two part flaps!?

Secondly I'll  be waiting for proper review before buying bulk, still remember two Gustav fiacsos and comparative pics do show major discrepancies between Tamiya and Eduard....will be interesting.

Edited by Thomas V.

4 hours ago, ABeck said:

P4290675.jpg

This one causes some head scratching

I don’t think we are necessarily looking at different nose length. Eduard has the upper part molded to the fuselage and Tamiya a separate piece. The photographer should move slightly to the left to assess the situation accurately!

G

• Like 1

If eduard comes up with an 1/72 kit I hope they as a "first" dare to make it with the panellines on the wings filled and sanded as on the real thing. I am rather tired of filling and sanding P-51D wings.

We have seen rivetted wings (Revell), raised panellined wings  (old Airfix, Hasegawa, Heller, Matchbox), recessed panellines (new Airfix, Hasegawa, Academy, Italeri) and both rivetted and recessed panellines (Tamiya). Isn't it time for an smoth wing NA P-51D Mustang now?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

Isn't it time for an smoth wing NA P-51D Mustang now

Eduard wouldn't be able to sell it because of the "fatal flaw" of not having panel lines, and would have to retool the model with them. I guess it's better to have them and fill them than not having them at all.

2 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Eduard wouldn't be able to sell it because of the "fatal flaw" of not having panel lines, and would have to retool the model with them. I guess it's better to have them and fill them than not having them at all.

I don't agree with that. And I am talking about an future 1/72 kit (?). Not the coming 1/48 kit.

So many of us knew these days that the wings where filled, sanded and painted to get an smoth surface.

Look at the discussed Airfix ragwing Hurricane. Why demand an accurate wing in one case and not in another? Or what about the Tamiya (and Revell) Mustang wings with rivets? People buy them anyway.

If one want a kit with an not wery accurate wing compared  to the real thing that hade filled panellines why not get Tamiya or Airfix?

As producer why not make a kit with both? One with smoth wings and one with all lines. It will not be that expensive i 1/72 scale. Even Airfix made Spitfire kits with two types of wings...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

38 minutes ago, Andre B said:

As producer why not make a kit with both?

Because there would have to be two tooling machines for the wings.

38 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Even Airfix made Spitfire kits with two types of wings...

With panel lines, and not needing all that much.

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

Because there would have to be two tooling machines for the wings.

With panel lines, and not needing all that much.

Not for such small parts as an P-51D wing. All parts could be fitted on the same sprue in 1/72. And look at the size of eduard sprues and boxes. The sprues are two times bigger than the Airfix sprues and the boxes are three times bigger than an Airfix box.

And take a look how many tools/sprues/parts eduard have made for making  all parts for different Spitfire wings. An P-51D wing has fewer parts.

If eduard dared to make one P-51D with accurate wings the critics probably soon would praise them for making an Mustang with wings as they looked during the war. And every builder would be able to build an accurate P-51D Mustang without filler and wetsanding...

Edited by Andre B

I would object that a kit with no panel lines would be accurate: the real machines had panel lines and rivets and these were (partially) filled at the painting stage but the structural features were still there. A relly accurate finish would be having panel lines and rivets on the kit and let the modeller reproduce the finish as done by NAA when painting the Mustang wings.. 😄

Then there's the matter of what lines were actually visible on the wing of Mustangs in WW2. There are pictures with no visible panel lines but there are others where some panel lines are visible, maybe because the finish was not properly maintained in operation or maybe because puttied panel lines in some areas could show through a worn silver paint.

And finally we have to consider what happened on the many Mustangs used after the war...  some retained the original NAA finish, others clearly didn't. What's the modeller supposed to do if he/she wants to reproduce one of those that didn't ? If the kit is moulded with no panel lines, the modeller is forced to scribe all of these, a job that IMHO is more demanding compared to filling existing recessed lines. The same applies to modellers who would feel that a wing with no panel lines is "incomplete", even if these were filled at the factory.

In the end a manufacturer has to compromise and adding panel lines is IMHO the best compromise as allows modellers who want a "filled" wing to do it with less work than would be required to rescribe a featureless wing. Manufacturers also have to consider the commercial side of the decision, and consider how many of their potential customers would appreciate one option and how many would prefer the other. I believe that in the end most modellers would prefer to have the panel lines in place

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2