1/48 - North American F/P-51D/K Mustang by Eduard - released - TF-51D conv. set by Halberd models in 2024

Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Fresh news

Source: https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/InfoEduard/archive/2019/info-eduard-2019-01en.pdf

(...) This project is progressing quickly forwards and I expect the first test shots to be available in the spring. This project holds one interesting secret, and that is that the development of this kit makes use of every technological innovation we have been able to integrate into what we do. This is sure to have a very positive impact on the model and I am very hopeful that it will become one of our favourite pieces. True, experience suggests that the first wave of such a release is met with some trepidation, and I expect that much of this will focus on the surface texture of the wings. This is a point of discussion even today, and among the favourite topics of discussion related to the Mustang concerns riveting. Our response to this is that the kit will have no rivets on the puttied surfaces of the wings, while the remainder of the airframe will be riveted. The panel lines, however, will be represented, because representing them would be consistent with photographic evidence. And if anyone has other ideas, they are always free to putty up the panel lines as well. Other items of discussion might be the canopy, propeller, weapons and other alternative parts. There will be three canopies included in the kit. The same goes for the propeller and radio equipment variations. An interesting item is the dust cover within the tailwheel well. These were always a little different from aircraft to aircraft and I am leaning towards leaving these out completely, and adding these at the modeler level should pose no issues for anyone. The kit includes items for the Mustang Mk.IV, and we also have ready the recce version which has its own fuselage. These sub-variants will be released through the course of next year outside of being included in a Royal Class package. Weapons will be concentrated on one theme related sprue that will include drop tanks, bombs, rockets and bazooka tubes, among other payload hardware. The marking options selection process is still ongoing but will be consistent with our past patterns, meaning that there will be a nice mix of famous and not so famous aircraft. Naturally we will release a slew of aftermarket accessories for it, in brass and especially within the Brassin line, including things such as the engine and its installation. Sets will cover details such as wheels with detail differences, exhausts, bronze landing gear struts, the aforementioned engine, the cockpit, and the collections of these in the BigSin line.
The Mustang is an item promoting a wide range of themes. After the inaugural ProfiPACK releases, there will be Limited Edition releases that will be theme related, such as we have done with the iconic Bf 109. We’ll start off with the Mighty Eight, and that will be something! And with that, we get on the topic of Limited Edition releases. (...)

Mus2.jpg

Mus1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good! 😎👍

Hopefully Eduard will include the option for both D-5 and D-10/15 fin alternatives in the initial boxing. Far too few alternatives on the market for the early finless D-5's 

Looks great and good that we are not getting rivets on the wing.

1 hour ago, Boman said:

Looking good! 😎👍

Hopefully Eduard will include the option for both D-5 and D-10/15 fin alternatives in the initial boxing. Far too few alternatives on the market for the early finless D-5's 

Probably not the first boxing, I expect they will make us wait a little be for the filletless ( I guess that's what you meant rather than finless! ) tail, but I'm sure the Royal Class boxing will have several options in.

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

Airfix should get ahead of the curve and do a B-model quick.

Justin

Why?

The Eduard kit, going by current form, will be vastly superior to anything Airfix, going by current form, can throw out. It'll probably be better moulded, show much finer surface detail, be cheaper, have a whole range of decal options, probably be free of quality issues and will come with a range of etched brass and resin accessories to really enhance the detail that's already there, until Airfix where any added resin is to provide the basic detail that should be there!!

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boman said:

Looking good! 😎👍

Look closely at the first 3D render. There’s no fillet to be seen.

Trevor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Why?

The Eduard kit, going by current form, will be vastly superior to anything Airfix, going by current form, can throw out. It'll probably be better moulded, show much finer surface detail, be cheaper, have a whole range of decal options, probably be free of quality issues and will come with a range of etched brass and resin accessories to really enhance the detail that's already there, until Airfix where any added resin is to provide the basic detail that should be there!!

Jeff

I think you are being a tad unfair here. Price wise, Airfix current P51 is about £22, Edwards, if it goes on a par with their Spits and 109's, will be about £33. Yes that will include some PE, and say 4 or 5 decal options vs Airfix 2. If you go for apples vs apples and compare the Eduard weekend editions then prices are about £19, so it's closer. 

If you add add in all the much vaunted resin for Edwards models, you can soon get into serious double figures, but they also do PE and resin for Airfix kits so that's moot anyway to me. 

Detail wise, I don't think Airfix's recent Blenheim or Hurricanes would blush in Edwards presence, and the Mustang is pretty good too, certainly better than the older Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. I've built all 3, have you?

Ive no doubt Edwards P51 will be lovely, but there's no reason to slag Airfix off. 

Jonners

• Like 12

So reading the info above... The base sprues will include all the canopy types and all the prop types and the bits for a mustang iv and radio kit to cover the later -25/30 radio - battery combo and perhaps the ‘Uncle Dog’ radio configuration for the VLR Mustangs.

say throw in tail fillets and that’s every common -D option covered in one box...

Sounds pretty good as a base package. 

The question is what will Tamiya do in response??? 

Edited by Plasto

And a recce version with dedicated fuselage 😎🤟🏻

With regards to the Eduard vs Airfix (and other high quality Mustang kits available), I’m firmly in the “and...and...”  rather than the “or...or...” camp.  We are all winners hahaa 

G

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I think you are being a tad unfair here. Price wise, Airfix current P51 is about £22, Edwards, if it goes on a par with their Spits and 109's, will be about £33. Yes that will include some PE, and say 4 or 5 decal options vs Airfix 2. If you go for apples vs apples and compare the Eduard weekend editions then prices are about £19, so it's closer. 

If you add add in all the much vaunted resin for Edwards models, you can soon get into serious double figures, but they also do PE and resin for Airfix kits so that's moot anyway to me. 

Detail wise, I don't think Airfix's recent Blenheim or Hurricanes would blush in Edwards presence, and the Mustang is pretty good too, certainly better than the older Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. I've built all 3, have you?

Ive no doubt Edwards P51 will be lovely, but there's no reason to slag Airfix off. 

Jonners

I have to agree with Jonners here the Airfix kits is a very good one, and while Eduard's might be better in a couple of ways (which we have yet to see BTW) it will not be "vastly superior", it will be more expensive in a standard boxing I have no doubt of. Airfix have come along way with their new tools and there is absolutely no reason to slag them off at all. 

I will reserve my judgement until I have the kit in my hands to look at like I did with the Airfix one of which I have more than one.

Julien

• Like 3

If you compare like for like then the Airfix boxing spec wise is on a par with the Weekend spec. 

A profipak will be more expensive than an Airfix boxing as it has etch( belts) and masks...

The Eduard kit has yet to arrive so direct comparison is moot.. 

If however you get all the stuff they are indicating in a standard weekend boxing then the Eduard kit will offer a lot of options. Options you have to buy Specific Airfix boxing’s to get (same with the classic Tamiya kit).

But it’ll be well into 2020 before we see a weekend boxing of the Eduard kit..

17 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I've built all 3, have you?

Hear hear, we need more knowledge based comments like this 👍. The more usual aporoach here is based on "I've read all the in-box (note, not even build- ) reviews". It's like going to a doctor, who's educated her... erm himself only by watching all seasons of Grey's Anatomy! V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2019 at 2:16 PM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Why?

Because like so many of us I want Airfix to succeed. Many modellers may go for the new Eduard D model when it comes out, though Jonners makes some good points about price/quality. Meanwhile Airfix's stuff gets better and better, for example the new Spitfire XIV. If Airfix can turn their hand to a new B model to their ever-improving standard, that could make them some decent money, so good luck to them. For me personally I'd prefer a correctly-shaped P-51B in 1/72, but I can wait (or rather I'll have to!).

Justin

• Like 2

I've built recent Airfix kits and I've built recent Eduard kits, I'm happy to have built both and I fully support both companies... but really, Airfix has been making some good stuff and they are constantly improving but Eduard today is in a different league ! Detail sharpness, surface detail, fit, quality control, attention to detail, Eduard is ahead in all these departments. Not that this only applies to Airfix, Eduard today is ahead of many other manufacturers and I can see why many are looking forward to their Mustang: if they do the same kind of job they did with Spitfire we can expect great quality and all different details for all subvariants to be properly represented. At a price that is today very competitive. I already have a few Mustang in the stash and the P-51 is not even one of my favourite subjects, yet I'm probably going to buy one even just to see what Eduard has achieved with this kit, such is the pleasure that building modern Eduard kit gives

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 3

Kind of off topic,  I love Airfix's new kits too, but to be fair, their 1/48 P-51D has at least one mistake, although small and fixable, it's indeed one that I saw no previous manufacturer has made, the horizontal tail plane had basically no fairing to the tail(Airfix upper left, Meng lower left, North American right):

p.jpg

Sure, it can be fixed, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. If not fixed, the lacking of a smooth transition is noticeable from normal viewing distance, so that one can tell for certain that it's an P-51D from Airfix,  in my book that's a fail for a model kit already, despite great detail or whatever, but that is me only, 

Edited by delide

Of course Eduard will be superior to Airfix, and weekend edition will be similary priced, none the less already bought Airfix and will buy new boxings, 

Using Hurricane-Sea Hurricane analogy,

had Airfix used better injection technology and material in Mustang(

UK or EU injection company instead of Indian), would have looked far better.

Edited by Thomas V.

5 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Of course Eduard will be superior to Airfix, and weekend edition will be similary priced, none the less already bought Airfix and will buy new boxings, 

Using Hurricane-Sea Hurricane analogy,

had Airfix used better injection technology and material in Mustang(

UK or EU injection company instead of Indian), would have looked far better.

I'm not sure what country it's molded in makes a difference, the P-40 was molded in the UK and has it's fair share of molding flaws. Airfix are obviously working to a tight budget so are going to struggle against companies like Eduard, so going head to head with them isn't the best idea but unfortunately it's unavoidable sometimes as you don't know what other companies are working on. I'm sure Airfix's P-51 will sell fairly well anyway.