1/48 - North American F/P-51D/K Mustang by Eduard - released - TF-51D conv. set by Halberd models in 2024

Homebee

4 hours ago, BushBrit66 said:

Have they proposed a B? Although there are some decent options already the same is true of the D sp gppd news alround. I try to deal in subject rather than kit so will aquire Eduard as well as Eduard. I am currently building my second Monogram D and that too will produce a decent model as will their B in original and especially Promodeller guise. The more the merrier I say.

Yes the have.  

Edited by Tbolt

Like we need another P-51D! Only if it has the filletless tail then yeah ok but what I would like instead would be a new tooled P-51H, F-82 and a Piper Enforcer all in 1/48 but I can only dream. I didn't purchase the Meng kit as I already have enough Tamiya Mustangs and got them far cheaper as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Source: http://www.detailscaleview.com/2017/12/new-eduard-mig-21-and-p-51-mustang-review.html

(...)
Next project - 1/48 P-51. For now Czech company plans to release only Bubbletop version. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that we will see B-type as well.

_MG_7470.JPG

Note that model is ready, but don't expect it next year. My guess is 2019 E-Day, not earlier. On the next E-Day we will see fresh Tempest, which can be also a nice candidate for assembly.

_MG_7472.JPG

V.P.

"Note that model is ready, but don't expect it next year. My guess is 2019 E-Day, not earlier. On the next E-Day we will see fresh Tempest, which can be also a nice candidate for assembly."

So this is the reporter's guess that the Mustang is delayed until 2019, even though the model is ready. Why would Eduard just sit on a kit that's ready to go and not make money on it? Is he saying that the P-51B is ready, but won't be released until E-Day 2019?

Eduard has alway stated the the P-51D will be released in 2018. If Eduard's New Tool kit release pattern holds it will be released in April 2018 with a Royal Class boxing to follow in June and then Weekend Edition kits. In 2019 we would see the P-51B and it's Royal class offering.

Valdimir Sulc wrote this is the December 2017 Info Eduard magazine:

"About new items that include ProfiPACK MiG-21s in 1/72, the Tempest and Mustang in 1/48, future versions of the Fw 190A, the Bf 109G-10 and other items I will write more on in the next newsletter. There, I will also touch on planned changes for 2018."

So we will have to wait a few more weeks before the rumor is confirmed that Eduard is delaying the P-51D Mustang release until 2019.

I hope this isn't true. A 1/48 Tempest won't have the same impact on Eduard's bottom line like a new tool Mustang will. 

Edited by Masinissa

On 12/6/2017 at 1:22 AM, Masinissa said:

"Note that model is ready, but don't expect it next year. My guess is 2019 E-Day, not earlier. On the next E-Day we will see fresh Tempest, which can be also a nice candidate for assembly."

So this is the reporter's guess that the Mustang is delayed until 2019, even though the model is ready. Why would Eduard just sit on a kit that's ready to go and not make money on it? Is he saying that the P-51B is ready, but won't be released until E-Day 2019?

Eduard has alway stated the the P-51D will be released in 2018. If Eduard's New Tool kit release pattern holds it will be released in April 2018 with a Royal Class boxing to follow in June and then Weekend Edition kits. In 2019 we would see the P-51B and it's Royal class offering.

Valdimir Sulc wrote this is the December 2017 Info Eduard magazine:

"About new items that include ProfiPACK MiG-21s in 1/72, the Tempest and Mustang in 1/48, future versions of the Fw 190A, the Bf 109G-10 and other items I will write more on in the next newsletter. There, I will also touch on planned changes for 2018."

So we will have to wait a few more weeks before the rumor is confirmed that Eduard is delaying the P-51D Mustang release until 2019.

I hope this isn't true. A 1/48 Tempest won't have the same impact on Eduard's bottom line like a new tool Mustang will. 

When they say the model is ready I guess that is just the CAD model, in which case there is obvious a lot of work to be done before release. I would have though that maybe the P-51D would have been prioritized due to the competition at the moment.

Edited by Tbolt

54 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Maybe Eduard have looked at the recent Airfix and Meng kits and decided that many modellers have already spend their Mustang money, I know I have. Perhaps they will look at the B/C market instead?

I really, really hope so........After the recent Airfix and Meng offerings we really don't need another -D model !!.......If they want to have a P-51 in the catalog (and I kinda get that) then make it a B/C for sure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Maybe Eduard have looked at the recent Airfix and Meng kits and decided that many modellers have already spend their Mustang money, I know I have. Perhaps they will look at the B/C market instead?

Eduard spoke about their plans for their own 1/48 P-51D in their online magazine Info Eduard. They have already invested heavily in their own kit design which includes photoetch, brassin, and masks.

Quotation from the August 2017 Info Eduard,

"The accessory kits being released for the Meng P-51D can be taken as a warmup for those to be released for the Airfix P-51D in the same scale, which in turn can be considered the same for our own P-51D coming out soon, and who‘s design is nearing completion, and for which there will be an extraordinary amount of resin accessories available for."

and the September 2017 issue,

"What else? Well, accessories, of course! There are plenty of items designed for the 1/48th scale P-51D Mustang, which is to be released by Airfix this September. If I’m counting correctly, there are eight Brassin sets dedicated to this new Mustang kit, including wheels, propeller, fuel tanks, bazookas, and exhaust stacks. Yet more, mostly larger sets, such as the cockpit interior, will follow during the autumn months. There are also mask sets and four photo-etch releases, two of them standard items for both the classic interior and exterior, and two Zooms sets, plus a Steelbelts release too. So, as you can see, we really like the Mustang, and it is good to know that as we work hard on our own project, that we will ensure that these sets which are designed for the Airfix kit, will be incorporated into the new design of accessories which we are developing for the Eduard Mustang!"

So the conclusion is that Eduard is doing a 1/48 P-51D and it will be released in 2018. The P-51B/C will follow in 2019.

6 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

But then some people like me are waiting till all three are out to make a decision on which kit to go for and if the Eduard kit is accurate it will probably their's.

• Like 1

To be honest, there is enough interest in, and schemes for this machine to justify all three. I love the P51 and have all the kits since the Hasagawa. My personal favourite is Airfix but the does not mean good models cannot be produced by the other kits. IFor me it's about the model and not the kit

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:14, Masinissa said:

"What else? Well, accessories, of course! There are plenty of items designed for the 1/48th scale P-51D Mustang, which is to be released by Airfix this September. If I’m counting correctly, there are eight Brassin sets dedicated to this new Mustang kit, including wheels, propeller, fuel tanks, bazookas, and exhaust stacks. Yet more, mostly larger sets, such as the cockpit interior, will follow during the autumn months. There are also mask sets and four photo-etch releases, two of them standard items for both the classic interior and exterior, and two Zooms sets, plus a Steelbelts release too. So, as you can see, we really like the Mustang, and it is good to know that as we work hard on our own project, that we will ensure that these sets which are designed for the Airfix kit, will be incorporated into the new design of accessories which we are developing for the Eduard Mustang!"

Well so far they have released PE sets (interior & exterior), masks, seatbelts, a complete cockpit, Wheels, propeller, bazookas, normal fuel tanks, paper fuel tanks, normal exhausts, shrouded exhausts, external canopy mirros, gunsights, and control surfaces. All for the Airfix kit, but no doubt already planned for their own.

Julien

• Like 1

I have to admit that I audibly sighed when I read this thread: there are so many decent subjects out there that deserve the Eduard treatment. And am I alone in thinking that if you need to release aftermarket stuff for your own kit, then maybe the kit itself is lacking in something?

Yes I know it's a business, but is there really a business case for doing yet another quarter scale Mustang?

Don't get me wrong - I love Eduard stuff but how about something inter-war and civil?

• Like 2

Thing is does the kit really need all these upgrades? Probably not, however are they expected? I would say yes, modellers do expect them and a lot of them must buy them otherwise Eduard would not make them?

Like many things an Eduard 109G-6 can be picked up for say £20 where as the new Tamyia one will be £40, the Tamyia one will probably be more complete but I expect Eduard will still sell update sets for it which people will buy, so why make is super duper out the box and price some people out when a lot will just buy the upgrades anyway?

Eduard know a P-51D will sell where as something inter war, who knows? but if they are listening can I have a 1/48 Hawker Nimrod pls?

If I could understand the kit game I would try and make money from it.

Julien

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I have to admit that I audibly sighed when I read this thread: there are so many decent subjects out there that deserve the Eduard treatment. And am I alone in thinking that if you need to release aftermarket stuff for your own kit, then maybe the kit itself is lacking in something?

Yes I know it's a business, but is there really a business case for doing yet another quarter scale Mustang?

Don't get me wrong - I love Eduard stuff but how about something inter-war and civil?

You say yet another 1/48th scale Mustang but it's a popular subject and been quite a while since one has been produced - not counting the Meng and Airfix kit as the Eduard kit was started before these two were known about and Eduard quite rightly continued with it knowing that a well done Mustang  series will sell well for years, where as something inter-war and civil would probably be a poor seller by comparison.

As for needing a lot of aftermarket well that was partly bought about by demand - a lot of people complained about Eduards first 190 being over complicated so they simplified their kits and supplied the rest in resin. As for the rest well resin and PE obviously can replicate items in more accuracy than plastic.

Edited by Tbolt

A quick eBay revealed (aside from Airfix and Meng mentioned) ready supplies of P-51s various in 1/48 by Hobbyboss, Tamiya, Accurate Miniatures, Monogram/Revell, ICM, Otaki and Italeri. And that wasn't even the bottom of page 1!!!

So no, the market does not need another 1/48 P-51 unless we've gotten so lazy that we can't sand the odd bit of flash off or do a modicum of filling.

It's a crying shame with so many worthy subjects instead of pointless incremental striving towards perfection - or even in some cases a move away from old/needs a bit of work/accurate to modern/better fit/inaccurate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

A quick eBay revealed (aside from Airfix and Meng mentioned) ready supplies of P-51s various in 1/48 by Hobbyboss, Tamiya, Accurate Miniatures, Monogram/Revell, ICM, Otaki and Italeri. And that wasn't even the bottom of page 1!!!

So no, the market does not need another 1/48 P-51 unless we've gotten so lazy that we can't sand the odd bit of flash off or do a modicum of filling.

It's a crying shame with so many worthy subjects instead of pointless incremental striving towards perfection - or even in some cases a move away from old/needs a bit of work/accurate to modern/better fit/inaccurate.

If you can make a good profit on a kit then as far as manufactures  go then yes the market needs it's - whether a lot of us want it or not is irrelevant.

Every time a manufacturer brings out a new kit of a popular subject people go on about this but they keep doing and making a profit from it. Popularity makes money not filling gaps in the market.

Sure we all have our model we would rather see kitted but we are not going to change the manufacturers minds. If the likes of us ran a company like Eduard then it probably wouldn't last long :)

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 8:44 AM, Ka-Efka said:

Well as long as this behavior is used as a strategy to harm competitors, it'll not go away. Especially some companies (who know their 'project realization process' is faster than others, becaus of... reasons) are pushing aggressively into the market. Which is a saturated one.

If 'we' want this to go away, we need to purchase respectively.

One addition right away: there is the 'bred and butter' any manufacturer considers relevant to their lineup. Me109 Mustangfire etc. The above doesn't apply to those Models imo.

Is there an English Language version of that post ?

14 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Is there an English Language version of that post ?

Manufacturers will produce a model of a subject that they predict will make them an overall profit and that’s even if others have already done it.

The Balliol is an excellent non example.

Trevor

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Manufacturers will produce a model of a subject that they predict will make them an overall profit and that’s even if others have already done it.

The Balliol is an excellent non example.

Trevor

ooh Balliol? In 1/48 - nice. When's it due out? ;) 

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2015 at 9:31 AM, Max Headroom said:

Hope the Allison engined variants will also get a look in? I have the AM version to do as a 2 Sqn machine hopefully this year.

Trevor

As for 1/32 the only company that did that one was Hobbycraft but l think they either sold the molds to Academy or are leasing them. With all these Mustangs coming out you would wonder if they would jump on the bandwagon and reissue those kits. Accurate Minatures did a 1/48 as well but l think Italeri has them

Hacker