Early Mercedes Offroader

Stuck

Hi there, A few months ago I started losing my mojo a bit with wingy things, so i found a car kit that I brought very cheaply a few years ago, a 1/24 Hasegawa Lamborgini Mura, within 5 minutes of starting it I was hooked, and although never being a car freak in any way, I had entered the dark side, and before too long was scouring the net for my next project. Looking through the fairly comprehensive range of 1/24 cars that my usual supplier had to offer I just kept on coming back to this model I dont know why, just something about it that I found attractive and interesting.

Unfortunately the car has a bit of an infamous history as it was the chosen staff car of Hitler and his cronies, and very few survived the war, but it got me thinking if it was painted some other colour than the drab RLM grey and do away with a few other nasties then this could become a very attractive car.

So I hope you enjoy watching what happens, as already mentioned I am no auto expert, so all help and advise will be much appreciated.

P1010612_zps993f1a1d.jpgThe box is jam pack full with parts,some of the mouldings have got some quite exquisite detail on them. But the instructions seem to have been drawn by a spider after a night on the tiles, certainly give Revell ones a run for their money

P1010613_zpsa4b9c239.jpg

I had an idea in my head for the colour scheme of either dark green or blue and creamy beige or off white, I did try some Tamiya pearl white against their dark blue but it wasn't quite what I was after, while looking in a DIY store I came across an aerosol of the cream I was after, so before there would be any tears on my model checked it out on a plastic bottle first., being new to airbrushing lacquers I always check them out first, god job I did, look what happens when its sprayed on top of humbrol enamel Untitled-2copyjpg111_zpsdacb56f8.jpg

Edited by Stuck

I started off with the engine, I would have liked to have added a little extra detail ,but couldnt find too many pics on the net, and as already said I am no expert; Well at least it looks something like an engine to me, I have painted it with alclad and vallejo model color black.

2_zps04efab3a.jpg

The chassis and fenders have been moulded in one piece, which caused a bit of head scratching about how to go about painting it, so I decided to do the bodywork finish first then mask it up , and go over the rest with Tamiya nato black and pick out the chassis brushing vallejo

IMG_2125_zpsb05b9111.jpg

P1010609_zps4a49b4f6.jpg

The sub assemblies that go together to make the rear axle unit

IMG_0001_2_zps9249c1f3.jpg

I cannot quite understand where the design team and engineers are coming from at ICM . While the fit of most of the tiny parts is Tamiya standard, the fit of the wheels is diabolical , the rear ones fit onto a barely 2mm long stub on the end of the axle, but the connecting hole is well over size so much that it cannot even be dry fitted. A better man than me would drill the axle out and fit a brass rod, or something like that, but I am going to leave them off until the model is completed and hope the can support the weight of the model if glued with a good dose of araldite. It does not show clearly on the instructions as how they are supposed to go together, after an afternoon trying to get my head round it I started sanding the drums with them fitted into a cordless drill so they would fit into the hubs as I assumed, only to find afterwards that they should be proud. Any of you who wants to make this please be warned. The chrome hub caps are fitted from the inside, I made a right mess of one when the capilary action of the cement went right through to the outside and messed up the paintwork so it will have to be redone.

P1010583_zps3c71ab81.jpg

P1010585_zps0b3f9731.jpg

P1010586_zps562a942c.jpg

Looking closely at pics of this car the fenders are gloss black,but it looks as if the running boards are more mat, so I have painted them the same, I just wish I could find a good method of doing the chrome, have tried it with vallejo liquid silver but not to happy with the finish

3_zps83b2e411.jpg

Rear axle unit fitted

P1010610_zpsdd115b9c.jpg

The door lineings have pistol holsters engraved in them , but I am doing away with these with the help of some miliput

P1010600_zps27fc88a4.jpg

P1010606_zpsad959051.jpg

Good evening, The original seats were upholstered in black leather, I thought they would look a little bit less milateristic done in brown , so have brushed Vallejo model color. took ages !!

P1010620_zpsf3405b6e.jpg

P1010614_zps122901c0.jpg

P1010621_zpsdde99294.jpg

The 2 sides of the body can now be glued together, and start getting it ready for painting. Thats all for now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you contemplating making this model should be aware of a few things, one of them is that the recessed door lines in the body work are very shallow,and with hindsight I wish I had scribed them a bit deeper before starting the paintwork, as it is now they are barely visable and are hardly deep enough for a pin wash, so i think I will have to live and let live.2_zpshh484tmr.jpg

Another lesson I have learn t using lacquers is to spend a little more time and attention cleaning the airbrush out. Laying on the final clear coat splattered a little of the blue I had previously sprayed. Wont let that happen again!!

3_zpsicxm2uec.jpg

I am now trying to decide whether to have the open or closed option, think I will go with the latter wont look quite so :fuhrer: esqe !!

4_zpsjnrnc1ec.jpg

1_zpscki04pu2.jpg

Thats all for now, got to try and tidy up the running boards before I can fix the bodywork down.

• Like 3

A little bit of progress has been made during the week, I have decided to make the covered version and go for a canvas colored hood, so have used Tamiya desert yellow.

P1010669_zpsydevznfa.jpg

IMG_0002b_zps0jhzx80x.jpg

Painting the dashboard was not one of my finest hours, fortunately it wont be seen too much

IMG_2177_zpsy6yscuab.jpg

This is the first time that I have used Alclad chrome, and although it can give a fantastic finish I am quickly learning just how fragile it is. The problem is there is hell of a lot of it on this model , and it seems I have accidentally worn a bit off the trim; so I think from now on i am going to handle the model with a pair of gloves I brought years ago for developing slide film, here is some of the damage.

IMG_0005_zpsjxzzwp0c.jpg

I would like to give the radiator a black wash, but because of the fragilaty of the chrome I think it is left as it is

IMG_0004_zpsvrtw6wdf.jpg

The model is nearly finished now, just loads of sticky out bits to do, if they all survive to completion then it will be a miracle!!