+++FINISHED+++Angolan Air Force 1-144 Eduard MIG 21MF - OOB (Forca Aerea Popular de Angola/Defesa Aerea e Antiaerea))

So - this is small! Never done 1-144!

Part of the twin Eduard MIG21MF pacakge, with Jbr African Fishbed Decals - apologies about the feet!! The white card is a standard business card - this is how small it is!

image_zps491e83db.jpg?t=1420491658

I am doing the Beige, green and blue, HUM148 (guess!) HUM303 and HUM65 unless someone can suggest better colours!!

image_zpsb6e19c60.jpg?t=1420491660

Now this may well be a disaster as its tiny, have been warned about bits breaking off the sprue, carpet monsters etc! If all else fails I will do a re-show with a 1/48!!

Any tips appreciated!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Good luck with these little beasties Tim, the 1/44 kits are quite nice but not for the chubby of digit..

We had many a long discussion in the previous mig 21 STGB about the correct colour for beige (only modellers could do that...). I don't think there was a direct humbrol match but it's your model so paint it how you like!

• Like 2

Hi Tim,

I've sent my 'reconstruction' of relevant BS381C colours to Humbrol's plate per PM (in response to your PM from 30 December), but here they are again:

- BS381C/388: 1x H103, 1x H94 + 1x H121

- BS381C/283: H78

- BS381C/697: no idea

Antennas and radome in H116 (green).

This is something like 20 years old, so I hope all the shades are a) still available, and B) still the same they used to be back then.

• Like 1

Where's this come from Tim (sorry if I missed this)?

Not sure that I understand all the info - for example, what do the numbers in the blue boxes represent?

Thanks

Cliff

was sent it on FB - I am no expert! Been told the smallest % in blue is the closet match (some scientific babble!) For ex the top colour AKAN 73005 closets 'normal' paint is MM2135 at 39.77%

Explanation via FB

"the more close colour, the less %. The presented FS colour is the closes match to AKAN sample. Other colours calculated as close as possible according RGB to AKAN paint. The dark green is very dark and is something between green and brown. All calculations show closest brown colours. This is a reason to select colours closest to FS24119. The % loses meaning in this case."

• Like 1

Some excellent tips here on the Migs and building them....

http://doogsmodels.com/completed-builds/mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21mf-fishbed/

Now cam wise - any ideas?

Normaly the lighter beige would go on, then the green cam - now with it being so small, any tips how to do this?

Maybe I do the green first, then mask with Maskol, or thin blue tac, and tape, then the brown/beige?

Any advice welcome!!

Will you airbrush ? IMHO the best option would be to cut masks from adhesive paper, unless you're very good to make very thin blutack rolls. Using maskol may work too, but I've never managed to get a nice smooth edge with this technique

Personally I would probably just airbrush the lighter colour and add the green with a brush, but that's because I hate masking.. :lol:

• Like 1

I will be keeping an eye on this build, got a few of these MiGs to build and I have a few sets of the JBr decals to add to other models too. Interested to see how they perform, looking forward to more. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Managed to get started yesterday - fiddly lil buggers!

Lost one control column to the dreaded carpet monster - 'created' another to replace it (not quite the same!)

Used a mix of Rev 365 and Hum 65 as an attempt at the cockpit colour - how more MiG pilots have not been airsick and crashed I don't know!

Added some metal colour to the intake, exhaust and blade areas - will attempt to join the fuselage today using sausage fingers!!

image_zps3d980a08.jpg?t=1421835437

Also painted the shock cone Hum 2 Gloss green.

image_zpsb7998dcb.jpg

Hopefully get some more done today - obviously the thread will be identical until painting commences for both models!

What would you think is the best way? Maybe Green first with blue tac as masks for the beige? fiddly but do-able maybe?

Well, personally I would start with spraying the lighter color, but it may work the other way round too. I have a good experience with using masks cut out from Tamiya masking tape using very sharp scalpel. I used that for my small Spitfires. The way described in the article you linked few days back (using masking fluid for artists) seems interesting too. In this context I have heard good things about a masking fluid from Winsor & Newton - "Colorless art masking fluid".

• Like 1

Normally I always spray the lighter colour first - but the cam on this Mig has the majority in beige.

However in this scale the area to be masked is small I suppose.

Will try to source the fluid mentioned. Will also try the Maskol on some scrap with the paint and see if that works and does not pull off the paint from the first colour.

some right fun with the cockpit screen and canopy masks - did as best I could!

Some green paint on the Ae areas (Brown for the Malian fin), some interior over the frames.

Will mask them up tomorrow and give both MiGs a black primer coat so I can get some tone (cant preshade at 1-144!)

Then it will be the nose ring and I may leave the metal at the tail end until after as masking will be a pain!.

Still pondering the best way to get the green cam on .....could be tiny blue tac sausage around the area then mask rest....done a test with Maskol, fine but the edges were not the smoothest

Cant wait for the undercarriage (and guess what cretin forgot to weight the front - rare I do wheels down!)

image_zpsmbicup82.jpgimage_zpsx5dpiyoo.jpgimage_zpsnswojriv-1.jpg

Good luck with the painting Tim :)

I did a 1/144 A-10 in three colour European scheme once. I used really fine strips of Tamiya masking tape to define the edges (if it is fine enough, it will bend into quite a tight radius), infilled as far as possible using little bits of tape, then filling any residual gaps using Maskol. The basic rule is to avoid using Masking Fluid wherever possible. As you say, Maskol gives a poor edge, so you will need something like the thin strips of tape for that purpose.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff - will try to use tape to tape off the green area after the beige goes on. Then use tape, bluetac to cover the rest of the beige.

I managed to prime/preshade with black today to allow some contrast. Have done some test strips and found the right colours HUM148 and HUM 86 - HUM65 looks ok for the bottom, but will try HUM23 on the test strip see if its better.

IMG_20150125_184359_zpsvp9bhfd4-1.jpgIMG_20150125_184409_zpsuu3evam7.jpg

IMG_20150125_184307_zps1dykvngo.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3