1/72 - MiG-21 Fishbed by Eduard

172flogger

1 minute ago, Laurent said:

Or a case of "the kit is great so they must have done their research and the model (accuracy) must be good".

True, possibly a bit of both?

22 minutes ago, Wez said:

True, possibly a bit of both?

The Fujimi kit was released in 1991 AFAIK. Valid reference material probably existed but it probably wasn't accessible to Fujimi at the time of kit design.

Gabor,

Agree 100% :D I love this MiG and the I-7U from Modelsvit and as well as the  Su-17M3.

Let's hope for some more MiG-21 types ...but unfortunately not in 2018 ...not even a Su-17M4...! :sad:

Madcop.

On 2018. 01. 03. at 7:38 PM, Laurent said:

The quote was about Zvezda's PFM. Anyway. What are the shortcomings of the 1/48 MiG-21MF, Borisz ?

I have to apologize. I rememberd that this kits ultimate incorrection is that both kits in 1/48 got the same saddle tank which is the mean of the two types. Smaller than the BIS's ona and even bigger than should be on an MF. I no longer could find that tread.

So I connected Papp PĂ©ter who have written a kit review in the domestic magazine, ProModell, and He told me that its a neat kit. Only "shortcoming" is that the MF is the earlyer mentioned "Czech" story.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Borisz said:

I have to apologize. I rememberd that this kits ultimate incorrection is that both kits in 1/48 got the same saddle tank which is the mean of the two types. Smaller than the BIS's ona and even bigger than should be on an MF. I no longer could find that tread.

So I connected Papp PĂ©ter who have written a kit review in the domestic magazine, ProModell, and He told me that its a neat kit. Only "shortcoming" is that the MF is the earlyer mentioned "Czech" story.

Thanks Borisz ! No need to apologize :smile:

On 12.01.2018 at 5:48 PM, madcop said:

Agree 100% :D I love this MiG and the I-7U from Modelsvit

I-7U not agree!!

20171226_203134.jpg

We speak about the same model? Or curve panels of lines
it is good now? Yes at I-7U very good interior of a cockpit, but he is good only because they have actually taken him about MiG-21F.

20171226_203412.jpg

20171226_203325.jpg

But they haven't considered distinction between MiG-21F and I-7U!!! You see that black box behind the pilot's head on cutawy key?

i7-2.gif

And now look in the I-7U model also look that there!!! The original and model differ a little?! But that in the I-7U model completely corresponds to the fact that in MiG-21F and it is wrong!
For today's time, from my point of view if to take especially the models lying in boxes, at Modelsvit certainly qualitative models 
only I-320, MiG-21F are,
Su-17M, Su-17M3, the SU-7 family and T-10-11 (perhaps is possible because at me isn't present still yet T-10-11).
A series Heavy MiG not the best that does Modelsvit, though they not so  horrors as Tu-91.

B.R.

Serge

Mr. Ơulc gave few more details to the first MF profipack yesterday at modelforum.cz. Exact paint schemes are not yet decided, but included should be one scheme from each of the countries that used MF-75, i.e. Czechoslovakia, GDR, Poland, Bulgaria and Romania plus there is a chance that one of the two Malian specimens will be included too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kotey

Looks very promising indeed !.

Looks like Eduard has done his homework.....

April....Just hope it's not an April's fool !

Madcop

On 12.1.2018 at 11:47 AM, ya-gabor said:

The Fujimi kit was a GREAT kit! Have to add quickly: when it was released! The best available at the time!!!

Hi Gabor,

Fujimi was as a great kit (and still is) when published but not as a model of MiG-21. It was already at that time found to be hopelessly inaccurate. Fuselage too wide, tall and long, odd-shaped dorsal spine, wing located too forward, XXXL-side canopy, small horizontal tailplanes etc.

I remember waiting it eagerly but never built one. KP at least had main dimensions correct but with badly undernourished fuselage. MIleage may wary which one to call "best" or in this case less worse.

All in all I'm still waiting good (in terms of accuracy and buildability) 3rd/4th generation MiG-21.

Cheers,

AaCee

It is obvious that being manufactured in series almost 15.000 units long (including Chinese F/J-7s) the MiG-21 is perhaps the most-modelled supersonic fighter worldwide. Unfortunately among the 1/72 kits most are rubbish or almost rubbish. Even the beautifully engineered kits from Revell, Zvezda, RV/KP and Fujimi differ one from another seriously when put side-by-side on the shelf. The problem is that one can easily find the blueprints identical to most of the kits (maybe except for the Hasegawa/Frog one :) ). Simply there are plenty of drawings published and many of them are also rubbish... One of the crucial areas seems to be rear fuselage with distance between wing and horizontal tail differing seriously between the kits.

Using my today visit at the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow I have measured exactly a dozen of their Fishbeds and Mongols and the dimension is 119cm between the flap trailing edge and the starting point of horizontal tail fixed base (128cm when measured to the start of the all-moving tailplane leading edge itself). Scaled down to 1/72 it makes respectively 16.5mm and 17.8mm. Now you can measure your kits and make the verdict - Revell MiG-21F is a little too short with 16.0 and 17.1mm there.

Cheers

Michael 

Edited by KRK4m
Revell kit measured
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1