1/72 - MiG-21 Fishbed by Eduard

172flogger

On 4/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, Aardvark said:

What is the problem of printing a separate sheet of paper with the correct operation? Nobody insures against such mistakes! I had Hasegawa Ki-61 in 1/72, there was also an error in the instructions. Hasegawa put into the model a separate instruction the size of two match boxes where only this operation was depicted separately. But she was portrayed correctly!

B.R.

Serge

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

18 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

It was just strange that the 2 Eduard modellers did not notice it when building the very first kits.

Let's say the Czechs are very disciplined and follow thoroughly instructions. Case closed 😊

Edited by Laurent

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

While some people could think that my post was an attack of the new kit, in fact I just wanted to draw attention to the mistake in the instruction sheet and help those who will be building the kit to get it right

Gabor, hi!

It's normally situation.  For Eduard, the reputation of high-quality products was fixed. But when "WOOOOOW" is expected, and in the end, the output is a modeller "ahhh"... what else can I say? There is a small mistake, there is a misprint, there is problem e.t.c...... in the end many small problems create the impression of a poor product.

B.w. I looked in the detail of the fairing of the alcohol tank. It is cast together with the hood cover. With this design details you can have any high-tech injection molding thermoplastic machine, any moulds ... you can never mould this detail with thin ebge! This is either a conscious simplification, or not the highest qualification of the designer.

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Let's say the Czechs are very disciplined and follow thoroughly instructions. Case closed 😊

I agree about Czech's but

Russians on this subject have a modern folkler:

- Why you have made it?
- Mother has told!
- If mother tells you to shoot oneself, you will make it too?

Instructions - instructions, but Gábor won't allow to tell lies, even mistakes and typos occur in technical documentation of planes in spite of the fact that they were read by editors, proofreaders and them to sign special persons before the press. Yes, these mistakes found, corrected them, people who made these mistakes were deprived by awards and perhaps fired, but these mistakes were all the same made! These are people, people can be mistaken. Therefore it is desirable to compare instructions to reality and common sense.

B.R.

Serge

On 4/16/2018 at 9:07 PM, Aardvark said:

B.w. I looked in the detail of the fairing of the alcohol tank. It is cast together with the hood cover. With this design details you can have any high-tech injection molding thermoplastic machine, any moulds ... you can never mould this detail with thin ebge! This is either a conscious simplification, or not the highest qualification of the designer.

B.R.

Serge

Sorry I have to remove my posts

Good Bye

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Why?

Eduard has found a formula that obviously works for them: well-moulded plastic kits that can be built with as little or as much aftermarket enhancement as the builder desires. The aren't doing anything unethical or anticompetitive so it's a bit ridiculous to criticize Eduard's business model based on what you think they should be doing.In the end, if they don't make money they'll go out of business. 

Because kit companies should be striving to get their plastic kits as good as possible.   Most people prefer plastic over resin and people mainly use resin if the plastic parts aren't detailed enough.   That's why companies like Special Hobby are improving their mould making and bringing out more and more kits made entirely of plastic.   If a kit has a choice of a resin part and a plastic part that have the same amount of detail then most people will use the plastic part as it's easier and better.

5 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

If a kit has a choice of a resin part and a plastic part that have the same amount of detail then most people will use the plastic part as it's easier and better.

Except plastic parts can't currently get the same finesse of smaller details that resin does due to production limitations.

5 minutes ago, charlie_c67 said:

Except plastic parts can't currently get the same finesse of smaller details that resin does due to production limitations.

That would appear to be the case but I suppose it all boils down to whether Eduard or any other companies are intentionally simplifying plastic parts when they could do a lot better.    

• 2 weeks later...

Few bits regarding future MF releases and other MiG-21 versions, taken from the current issue of Eduard Info + various posts in Czech forums.

• MF Royal Class in July, will contain sprues for both "Interceptor" and "Fighter Bomber", ie. both Gorky and Znamya Truda variants. 12 paint schemes. Will also contains some brassins, poster picture and some kind of pin.
  • MF "Fighter Bomber" (Znamya Truda) Profipack in September. 5 paints schemes -- Czech, Slovak, Vietnamese and two others (will be chosen from Soviet/Russian, Egyptian and Iraqi aircraft).
  • During 2019: Weekend editions, first limited edition box -- MF (1/72 version of the 1/48 limited edition kit focused on Czechoslovak/Czech/Slovak Fishbeds).
  • End of 2019: PF + PFM Profipacks
  • R will be done together with PF and PFM (from modelforum.cz)
  • bis/SMT will be made as a separate subproject, in unspecified later time (from modelforum.cz)
  • Regarding F/F-13/UM, the answer was "We will make them one day." (from modelforum.cz)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So which MF boxing I'm gonna need for the RF and the Lancer C because I'm not too fond of the basic MF version?

And since Bison/Mig-21-93 are out of the equation,someone will ever make a conversion or I will be eternally stuck with Eastern Express/Condor 21-93?

Luigi

4 minutes ago, Silverkite said:

And since Bison/Mig-21-93 are out of the equation,someone will ever make a conversion or I will be eternally stuck with Eastern Express/Condor 21-93?

I share your disappointment. Condor just took their bis and added some parts. The problem is that the -93/UPG windscreen wraps around the nose like a MiG-29 windscreen so new fuselage halves are required. Cost is too high, resin conversion wouldn't be straightforward. In others words, we're doomed.

1 hour ago, Silverkite said:

So which MF boxing I'm gonna need for the RF and the Lancer C because I'm not too fond of the basic MF version?

Based on the list here (scroll to the end of the article):

http://www.aripi-argintii.ro/aparatdezbor.php?p=131

almost all of the MiG-21 converted to LanceR C were of the MF-75 version. And from the following article it would appear they were made at the Gorky plant:

http://aviatia.net/romanian-mig-21/

The last fighter version purchased by the RoAF was the MiG-21 MF (izdeliye 96F). It came in two varieties: the first, totalling 36 built at MMZ No. 30 ‘Znamya Truda’ in Moscow, was the standard model which made its debut with the RoAF in 1972; the second (35 delivered) was built at zavod 21 imeni Sergo Orzhonikidze in Gor’kiy from 1975 onwards and was given the local designation MiG-21 MF-75 as it incorpo­rated the cockpit details of the new MiG-21bis.

Now it`s just a matter of time before someone comes along to contradict these, right? :D

Btw, if you`re interested in making a LanceR and don`t necessarily fancy scratch-building all the elements and printing your own decals (the RV ones have several accuracy issues apparently) it might be worth waiting a bit. Based on a post from a Romanian forum, the guys from Icaerodesign who made the LanceR conversion set for Eduard`s 1/48 MiG-21 kit are considering (as opposed to being already committed to it) a 1/72 set too.

23 hours ago, Laurent said:

I share your disappointment. Condor just took their bis and added some parts. The problem is that the -93/UPG windscreen wraps around the nose like a MiG-29 windscreen so new fuselage halves are required. Cost is too high, resin conversion wouldn't be straightforward. In others words, we're doomed.

I can hope for maybe Modelsvit to fill whatever is still lacking on the Mig-21 prototype/demonstrator types, fixing the windscreen doesn't seem to be that difficult, but reshaping the fuselage sides for the flare dispensers IS cause I can't find clear fuselage pics showing the contours of it, also the bubble canopy will be a problem

21 hours ago, Fin said:

almost all of the MiG-21 converted to LanceR C were of the MF-75 version. And from the following article it would appear they were made at the Gorky plant:

Now it`s just a matter of time before someone comes along to contradict these, right? :D

Btw, if you`re interested in making a LanceR and don`t necessarily fancy scratch-building all the elements and printing your own decals (the RV ones have several accuracy issues apparently) it might be worth waiting a bit. Based on a post from a Romanian forum, the guys from Icaerodesign who made the LanceR conversion set for Eduard`s 1/48 MiG-21 kit are considering (as opposed to being already committed to it) a 1/72 set too.

Thanks Fin, I bought RV Lancer twice, first time from a well know "that bay" seller, asked him if both Mig-21R and Lancer C had all parts since in the last order he shipped me an RV Mig-23 MLD without the stencils and as soon he told me "yep" the order was in.

Turns out that all Lancer bits were missing, waited for a month as he said he was getting some newer ones with spare parts but I failed to receive anything, had to sell it back and then a month ago I bought a newer one from a different seller,all bits are luckily where there so it's on the wait station, I will also wait for Icaerodesign and their conversion as I'm still waiting for an F-15 S/MTD conversion even tough I probably have anything needed to start one minus clear pics of those aerodynamic plugs placed above engine's nacelle

Luigi

21 hours ago, Fin said:

Dear Fin,

you're right. All MF-75 are Gorky produced planes. All MIG-21MF in RV Aircrafts kit 72037 MIG-21 Lancer-C are Gorky produced aircraft and contrary to the instructions should have the wings without the small panels with rounded edges. Or otherwise: Eduards kit shown in post #208 is the right base for a Lancer-C. If you have access to the serial numbers of a specific aircraft: Moscow build aircraft have 6-digit serials, Gorky 8-digit serials. See my post in the Cold War section: "1/72 MIG-21MF/bis upper wing panel question".

What puzzles me now: In the first link you provided, all Lancer-C serail numbers are 8-digit, but two are described just as MF's. I pray for a typing error ...

Martin

34 minutes ago, MVW said:

What puzzles me now: In the first link you provided, all Lancer-C serail numbers are 8-digit, but two are described just as MF's. I pray for a typing error ...

Cannot confirm the crashed no. 6413 (which in aviation-safety.net record of its crash is listed as MF-75), but no. 9611 seems to have the oval panels on the upper surface of its wings. See https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/648238/9611-romania-air-force-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21-lancer-c/ and compare with no. 6824 which clearly is MF-75 https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/786418/6824-romania-air-force-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21-lancer-c/ 

3 hours ago, JBr said:

Cannot confirm the crashed no. 6413 (which in aviation-safety.net record of its crash is listed as MF-75), but no. 9611 seems to have the oval panels on the upper surface of its wings. See https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/648238/9611-romania-air-force-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21-lancer-c/ and compare with no. 6824 which clearly is MF-75 https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/786418/6824-romania-air-force-mikoyan-gurevich-mig-21-lancer-c/ 

According  «Mikoyan MIG-21», Midland Publishing 2008, ISBN 978 1 85780 257 3:

6413 is a MF-75 with serial 96006413 (8-digit - Gorky)

9611 is a MF with serial 969611 (6-digit - Moscow)

6824 is a MF-75 with serial 96006824 (8-digit - Gorky)

So it makes sense: the Moscow built MF have the oval panels on their upper wings, the Gorky MF-75 not. I'm pretty sure beside some cockpit similarities the MF-75 actually had also the wing of  the bis version.

Regards,

Martin

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2018 at 4:25 PM, SeaVenom said:

Because kit companies should be striving to get their plastic kits as good as possible.   Most people prefer plastic over resin and people mainly use resin if the plastic parts aren't detailed enough.   That's why companies like Special Hobby are improving their mould making and bringing out more and more kits made entirely of plastic.   If a kit has a choice of a resin part and a plastic part that have the same amount of detail then most people will use the plastic part as it's easier and better.

First and foremost, if they expect to survive long term, model companies strive to make money. There's nothing wrong with this, it's how they generate the resources to pay their employees and hopefully have some left over to invest in new kits. There is a long list of model companies that no longer exist because they failed to achieve this. If you don't like how Eduard presents their kits, then nobody is forcing you to buy them. However, when I look at what Eduard provide in the box, whether it's a ProfiPack kit or the more basic Weekend Editions they provide phenomenal value for the price; certainly more so than some of the big brands from China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1