Use your local Hobbycraft!

SeaVenom

Well I've used the York and Newport stores and overall I think they are reasonably well stocked. Newport is better than York and in fact in the summer the stock levels in York were so low I asked them if they were stopping the model section!

Italeri seems to be a new thing so hopefully that will continue and as a hobby shop they are good for other stuff too. Aldi are stocking some Airfix stuff - can you imagine an Aldi Model section!

I do when I can, but the Wychbold branch has started meddling with it's prices.

They seem to be rounding everything up to the nearest quid.

Rick.

In some ways that's not a bad thing as all this 99p stuff is a real pain sometimes. I've found them pretty good for prices and I recently bought the new Airfix Lightning for cheaper than most of what I've seen on the net (though I've waited a while for it to come in stock). I've even had money knocked off one or two things and also I've taken kits to the counter and they're less than what they've been marked up as.

It's good to see people using them as they're pretty much the last place you can walk into and buy kits seing as WHSmith don't seem to have done anything with ModelZone.

Er, I am confused (probably not hard, that). Has this thread broken out in the wrong forum?

Couldn't really think of anywhere else to put it.

The Leeds one seems to blow hot and cold when it comes to kits etc. At present they seem to have run stocks down and paints etc are very poor. In the Art section the brush selection is not stunning. Judging from the time it takes them to get new kits in I think the store gets restocked about twice a year.

That will only change if people start buying kits. It might be a good idea to buy a few even if they're not kits that you want and to order ones you do.

The Leeds one seems to blow hot and cold when it comes to kits etc. At present they seem to have run stocks down and paints etc are very poor. In the Art section the brush selection is not stunning. Judging from the time it takes them to get new kits in I think the store gets restocked about twice a year.

Again they'll only restock if people start buying. Tell other people to buy from them too and then things might change.

Went into my local one the other day (it is only a 10 min walk from my house) and much to my disappointment the stock level had not changed from the last time I went in there a few months ago. There were none of the new Airfix kits, the newest one being from about 18 months ago, and the stock was mainly placed on the boxes edges rather than flat to make it look that they had more stock than they actually had. As for the paint situation, this was even worse especially the Humbrol range. If I wanted to get one of the basic stock colours I would have been very disappointed as there was none. To be honest most of the Humbrol stand was bare of paints.

I also paid a visit to the Modelzone in W H Smiths in Reading and yet again I wished that I had not.

Went into my local one the other day (it is only a 10 min walk from my house) and much to my disappointment the stock level had not changed from the last time I went in there a few months ago. There were none of the new Airfix kits, the newest one being from about 18 months ago, and the stock was mainly placed on the boxes edges rather than flat to make it look that they had more stock than they actually had. As for the paint situation, this was even worse especially the Humbrol range. If I wanted to get one of the basic stock colours I would have been very disappointed as there was none. To be honest most of the Humbrol stand was bare of paints.

I also paid a visit to the Modelzone in W H Smiths in Reading and yet again I wished that I had not.

Sometimes I've managed to get 1 or 2 of the new Airfix kits but I had to wait a while for the Lightning to appear but again try buying some of the kits there even if you don't particularly want them. People moan about the choice being poor but they don't seem to do anything about it. Try ordering some of the new tool kits too and see how that goes.

well you know what to do guys,

when ever you buy owt from HC the till receipt gives you the opportunity to complete an on line customer survey form, and the chance to win £100 credit ( I think its a ton )

it also allows you the add comments over and above the usual multi choice Q's. It may have been coincidental but I said that I was disappointed with the low level and to be honest bare paint racks and low & behold next time I went they were full...well nearly!

I've got Hannants a mile ish away and another LHS 5 miles ish. I buy all the plastruct/extrusion,K&K tubing,rods and plastic card kind of things at the LHS for scenery type things, he's untouchable anywhere,he stocks just about everything. Friendly,interested in what you want and try to get it if hasn't got it, which is rare.

Its sometimes cheaper online but postage is the killer and sometimes I've spent more than I could have online but the shop is local run by a family, nice people.Worth their weight in gold.

Aircraft kit wise he's rubbish though! :rofl: Mainly railway stuff but if you need to know about anything he stocks he knows. At Hannants there a couple of people just picking up wages. At the LHS I can 'phone reserve and pick up and pay next time I'm in. Hannants you can't even with a sizeable 50% deposit. So I don't bother them much!I've only bought one thing at Hanants and that was 2 years ago! Too big to care IMO. Some of them are very helpfull though and the "guided tour" around that wharehouse and being able to look in the boxes is great.

That will only change if people start buying kits. It might be a good idea to buy a few even if they're not kits that you want and to order ones you do.

On a pension, albeit a reasonable I only buy what I feel I can afford there are not getting much new stuff in Airfix and a limited range in Italeri and yes I do buy stuff there but if you know the Leeds area there is limited choice for model shops. I would do nothing to endanger the viability of the only real model shop in the area (in Halifax) as they are very good at getting stuff in and are very helpful on ordering kits etc. For railway modelling stuff there is more choice, but again there is a local guy who I use because he really does try and knows what he is doing and carries a good range of modelling tools and paint and some kits. Our local Hoobycraft seems to have cut items like tools etc and you cannot buy if they do not stock and seemed not to be terribly interested when asked.

I either use crayford or tunbridge wells, always buy my paints and thinners from there and usually a magazine or two every month. kit stock is usually on the thin side but my mrs text me a pic the other day, couldnt believe my eyes!

D55075DB-C557-49F4-A748-136B998DE779_1.j

I stick my head into the Coventry branch if I'm there, but with Antics in the centre, Joto's in Rugby (home) and Punctillo's in Hinckley, then there's not often anything they have of interest. Added bonus of Joto's is that I can have a chat whilst I'm in there :)

I'm quite fortunate with Hobbycraft, as there are five within a 30-35 mile radius, it's interesting to see how they vary. Stevenage, for example, is usually pretty reliable for Tamiya paints, whereas Bedford has fewer of those but what seems to be a complete range of Humbrol acrylics.

And as someone said above, use the comments on the customer survey, the worst that can happen is they get ignored, and I'm willing to bet HC don't do that.

Good for art materials in general. You can find lots of Windsor & Newton goodies like flow improver etc. I've also been rumoured to have bought a mini drill, bits and other plastic torturing instruments.

Tony

• Like 1

Got to say I went to visit the one in Edinburgh Fort expecting a treat, how wrong can you be tho? It was dire, hardly any kits at all and cant see me having a reason to return. Just have to keep running the gauntlet of parking wardens overpriced parking and traffic jams and keep venturing to Wonderland when the opportunity arrises. :(

Totally agree. It simply isn't worth the journey. Pathetic selection of kits hidden away in an awkward corner. Waste of space. I will not be returning. Besides.the no 16 bus takes me from my front door to Wonderland's front door!! Could not be better!! :lol:

Allan.

ps If you want to avoid the traffic jams and predatory wardens,on your next visit, why not park your car at Ingliston park & ride? The no 35 bus will drop you in Lothian Rd not 50 yards from Wonderland. Car parking is free & the bus fare is only £1.50. Alternatively, you could use the Toy Town Tram as far as Shandwick Place

Edited by Albeback52

Totally agree. It simply isn't worth the journey. Pathetic selection of kits hidden away in an awkward corner. Waste of space. I will not be returning. Besides.the no 16 bus takes me from my front door to Wonderland's front door!! Could not be better!! :lol:

Allan.

ps If you want to avoid the traffic jams and predatory wardens,on your next visit, why not park your car at Ingliston park & ride? The no 35 bus will drop you in Lothian Rd not 50 yards from Wonderland. Car parking is free & the bus fare is only £1.50. Alternatively, you could use the Toy Town Tram as far as Shandwick Place

I think it's different if you have a model shop near you but many of us don't have that any more since Modelzone closed. One thing that always bugged me about model shops though is I always felt like I was being watched whilst walking round and so far I haven't had that in HC. There's usually other people walking around too so I don't feel so self conscious whereas in my local model shops before they closed there was often no one else in there.

We have a HC near us, it's attached to a garden centre so I often pay a visit to HC when I'm looking for something for the veg plot. It sells models but seems to have a very small range spread across a lot of shelf space. There's very little choice and I could spacehopper from Hampshire to Margate via John'O'Groats and back quicker than it will take them to get a new Airfix kit in.

There's some Humbrol and Tamiya paint but on the whole there's very little there I want.

I understand the argument about the more you use it the more likely they are to increase their range but I'm not prepared to pay for something just for the sake of it.

There's more choice of things to plait into your nose hair than there is for modellers which is a shame really as there are always people mooching around the model section - just nobody seems to be buying.

If I'm going to use HC, they need to buck their ideas up!

Wez

Sometimes I've managed to get 1 or 2 of the new Airfix kits but I had to wait a while for the Lightning to appear but again try buying some of the kits there even if you don't particularly want them. People moan about the choice being poor but they don't seem to do anything about it. Try ordering some of the new tool kits too and see how that goes.

The lightning kits still have not arrived in my HC, and if the store does not have anything that I want on the shelves why should I ask the staff to get it in for me when they have not done so themselves. I also go to Salisbury once a month, yes it is a 30 odd mile drive but it does have one thing going for it. There are two very good model shops there that stock a variety of kits and paints, and sometimes I do get a bit of a discount.This is why I would rather go to Salisbury than my local HC.

I think it's different if you have a model shop near you but many of us don't have that any more since Modelzone closed. One thing that always bugged me about model shops though is I always felt like I was being watched whilst walking round and so far I haven't had that in HC. There's usually other people walking around too so I don't feel so self conscious whereas in my local model shops before they closed there was often no one else in there.

If you think that you are being watched in a model shop in the UK, you should try an eastern european model shop where they do literally follow you around.

I live in a city of around 1 million - Auckland, New Zealand. There are about four dedicated Hobby Shops catering for scale modelling I am aware of - beyond other stores that may carry some kits. One is about 5km away, one 10kms away and two 15kms away. One has become quite RC orientated, another is more railway orientated and the other is more diecast car focussed. That leaves one - Modelair in Newmarket, that has an extensive range of kits. I like shopping there and the service is excellent and a good selection of paints/supplies as well. However beyond their 'specials' or 'clearance' items, the prices are 25 - 50% more than online sites for the kits I am interested in, so beyond the occasional small Airfix purchase I shop more and more online. If the difference was more like 10% I would buy at the local shop. Items bought from BNA in Australia and Hattons are still cheaper incl postage to me here in NZ than they are in Modelair. A sad reality of the retail environment that brick and mortar retailers face these days.

Crayford is a gr

I either use crayford or tunbridge wells, always buy my paints and thinners from there and usually a magazine or two every month. kit stock is usually on the thin side but my mrs text me a pic the other day, couldnt believe my eyes!

D55075DB-C557-49F4-A748-136B998DE779_1.j

is that Crayford? Last time was the the stock was fantastic like that, ironically was a few weeks before I got into modelling, wish I could get there but it's too far for bus travel and as I don't drive....

We have a HC near us, it's attached to a garden centre so I often pay a visit to HC when I'm looking for something for the veg plot. It sells models but seems to have a very small range spread across a lot of shelf space. There's very little choice and I could spacehopper from Hampshire to Margate via John'O'Groats and back quicker than it will take them to get a new Airfix kit in.

There's some Humbrol and Tamiya paint but on the whole there's very little there I want.

I understand the argument about the more you use it the more likely they are to increase their range but I'm not prepared to pay for something just for the sake of it.

There's more choice of things to plait into your nose hair than there is for modellers which is a shame really as there are always people mooching around the model section - just nobody seems to be buying.

If I'm going to use HC, they need to buck their ideas up!

Wez

But they won't buck their ideas up if nobody buys anything. If everyone waits for that to happen and doesn't buy any of the kits already there then they'll think nobody's interested. People might have to start buying a few things they're not interested in just to get the ball rolling and again try ordering things you are interested in.

It'll be a sad day if everything's on the internet and there's nothing like having a local shop you can pop into to get something straight away.

• Like 1

The lightning kits still have not arrived in my HC, and if the store does not have anything that I want on the shelves why should I ask the staff to get it in for me when they have not done so themselves. I also go to Salisbury once a month, yes it is a 30 odd mile drive but it does have one thing going for it. There are two very good model shops there that stock a variety of kits and paints, and sometimes I do get a bit of a discount.This is why I would rather go to Salisbury than my local HC.

If you think that you are being watched in a model shop in the UK, you should try an eastern european model shop where they do literally follow you around.

It'll be interesting to hear your experience.

But they won't buck their ideas up if nobody buys anything. If everyone waits for that to happen and doesn't buy any of the kits already there then they'll think nobody's interested. People might have to start buying a few things they're not interested in just to get the ball rolling and again try ordering things you are interested in.

It'll be a sad day if everything's on the internet and there's nothing like having a local shop you can pop into to get something straight away.

Surely the classic "chicken and egg" situation? If there is nothing there to tempt people to buy, then sales will be poor. But, if poor model kit sales are the reason for not stocking a good variety of kits then the shop is unlikely to increase stocks in order to tempt more sales.....................!!!

Certainly, as I pointed out earlier there is nothing to tempt me to use my local HC. Its location doesn't help either.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52