Any aftermarket for Airfix 1/24 Hurricane?``

yeehah1

The only thing I have come across specific is the Airscale instrument panel decal( I have two of the Hurris to build). Apart from that there are a few things available that might be useful like white metal undercarriage for the Trumpeter 24 Hurri, some fishtail exhausts, there is the 1/24 sutton harness from Eduard for the Tiff that could be used I guess, that's as much as I have been able to track down.

The only thing I have come across specific is the Airscale instrument panel decal( I have two of the Hurris to build). Apart from that there are a few things available that might be useful like white metal undercarriage for the Trumpeter 24 Hurri, some fishtail exhausts, there is the 1/24 sutton harness from Eduard for the Tiff that could be used I guess, that's as much as I have been able to track down.

That's about it.

For 1/24th you're expected to use sheet,rod,wire,etc,pretty much whatever's to hand

plus ingenuity I'm afraid.

Trumpeter released a very comprehensive etch set for their Hurricane that has a lot of useful parts that

can be used for the Airfix kit.

While the Airfix kit may have some error's the Trumpeter kit gives you a supposed rendition of the Merlin that looks

nothing like a Merlin.

Plus the Trumpeter is a wee bit more expensive. I bought two of the Airfix Hurris gift sets at £25 a piece plus £3.50 postage new from Very.co.uk when they were reduced for a few hours during the run-up to Christmas. I think it was a mistake that I came across while doing my online Christmas shop and grabbed them with both hands! Shortly after they went back up to £30 each.

• Like 1

In addition to the stuff Beardie mentions there are significant quantities of decals and masks available. Try a search on Hannants.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=952&keyword_search=hurricane&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

Picked up this kit last week, I was considering building it as a specific aircraft for the Battle of Britain GB but alas, no De Havilland aircrew or spinner, only the Rotol. Hannants don't do an aftermarket one either. Back to the drawing board.

Tom

Blimey there's a lot of facial hair breaking out on this thread.

Bearded One: What you want to do is find someone who's built the Airfix Spitfire Vb as a Vb, because that kit comes with all the Vb parts plus a complete set of Spit I sprues including the early dH prop from the mark I.

• Like 1

05 01 2015

Thanks fellas. I had checked with Hananants before I posted on here but was amazed that there so little in the way of aftermarket bits and bobs. Thanks for the replies. I was kinda hoping there'd be something provided by the cottage industry but never mind.

Liam

I built the Mk 1 Hurri as Work in progress said using the Mk1 DH prop and it came out really well, got around the engine cowling fit by displaying the engine cowling under the port exhaust open and adding a little extra detail, used the kit roundels and painted on the codes using home made masks, well chuffed with the result, the kit is a very nice kit to build.

Good luck with your Hurris

All the best
Chris

Do a search on Hannants for 1/24 Airscale products, but don't specify an aircraft. It will come up wuth WW2 generic cockpit placards and some interior etched details which include levers, circuit breaker boxes, radio front panels etc. I have bought these for a future 1/24 Spitfire build, but will be equally useful to detail a Hurricane.

Cheers,

Tom.

Or better still build the Trumpeter kit

The Airfix Hurricane suffers from an overly thick wing , awfull wheels , and a spinner thats totaly wrong in shape , plus engine

panels that just dont fit :hanging:

I've read comments like this before, never seen any proof, and I have not got around to printing out some Bentley plans to 1/24 and getting the calipers out on both kits.

I've also read the nose is wrong, as it made to fit around the to scale Merlin. This I can believe. The engine panels will fit better if you leave out the Merlin I think, and use some internal tabs.to align them.

The tyres on the Airfix at least are not block treaded like the Trumpeter ones [as seen on current warbird Hurricanes] . What's wrong with the wheels?

this seems to be the best 'discussion' on the subject I have found

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=21940

The Trumpeter kit is also covered in reccessed divots.

But, just various comments,no actual kit to kit to known plan comparison. I'll do this when I can be bothered.

I only have the kit as I have broken down Airfix ones from my youth and was tempted by a very cheap Trumpeter kit missing some cockpit bits on the sale page.

Picked up this kit last week, I was considering building it as a specific aircraft for the Battle of Britain GB but alas, no De Havilland aircrew or spinner, only the Rotol. Hannants don't do an aftermarket one either. Back to the drawing board.

Tom

Most BoB Hurricanes have the Spitfire type Rotol as supplied in the Airfix kit. This is a bit oversized i think, from the comments above, I thnk as the nose ring is a bit too big because of the scale Merlin.

Blimey there's a lot of facial hair breaking out on this thread.

Bearded One: What you want to do is find someone who's built the Airfix Spitfire Vb as a Vb, because that kit comes with all the Vb parts plus a complete set of Spit I sprues including the early dH prop from the mark I.

This is correct, but this is the Spitfire type De Havilland unit, fitted to early Hurricanes.

Unfortunately BoB era photos are rare, the vast majority of Hurricanes I have seen have Spitfire Rotol units, which makes sense as using mixed props could affect performance in the squadron.

The only actual 11 Group Hurricanes I can think of with the DH Unit are the 615 Sq planes, and they still had fabric wings!

They also have the DH Hurricane type, which is smaller and pointer. Some very late Hurricane I's were being fitted with the Hurricane 'bullet' Rotol as well.

spinner types

Hurricanespinners.jpg

this got me pondering on the Airfix rendition of the Spitfire Rotol spinner

02.jpg

http://www.arcair.com/Fea1/901-1000/Fea965-Hurricane-Williams/00.shtm

and here's a photo bob posted, ignore the dent on he underside.

HurriInose.jpg

note also the aluminium painted interior framework in the above shot.

so...is the Airfix spinner totally wrong in shape?

looks like it might be a bit to wide at the base.

A test for anyone with the Airfix Hurricane and Spitfire, if the Airfix Rotal neatly fits the Airfix Spitfire nose ring, it's about the right size, as the Spitfire nose ring is a bit bigger than the Hurricane, hence the overhang. If it's bigger than the Spitfire, it's too big.

sticking some calipers on the Bentley drawings, the diameter of the Spitfire type Rotol measure 14.3mm in 1/48th, so should be 28.6mm in 1/24th.

I'll not be able to check for a few days myself.

Why use the Spitfire unit? I don't think the Hurricane unit was available in quantity, and it made a bigger difference to the Hurricane performance.

Another accessory you coul consider for this kit is Master 1:24 .303 gun barrels if you were to have the gun bay open. Although I'm not sure how much of the barrel would be seen!

I bought two of the Airfix Hurris gift sets at £25 a piece plus £3.50 postage new from Very.co.uk when they were reduced for a few hours during the run-up to Christmas. I think it was a mistake that I came across while doing my online Christmas shop and grabbed them with both hands! Shortly after they went back up to £30 each.

They were briefly at £18 this morning sold by Debenham's, I only bought one to add to my loft insulation!

Liam,

AMS also have a set of resin wheels suitable for either the 1/24 Airfix or Trumpeter Hurricane.

The item number is AMS24001 and the cost is $US 13.99. They can be obtained by mail order from Sprue Brothers in the US who also have

the 1/24 Hurricane instrument decals in stock or alternatively, you could order the decals from Airscale at Hove in the UK.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

08 01 2015

Thanks guys, that's a terrific find. Can I use that propeller boss on the Hurricane? Or is it more suitable to a Mk IIc?

Liam

Neither. It's Spitfire type long Rotol.

See my post above about Hurricane spinners, nearly all Mk II's have the Hurricane 'Bullet' Rotol

• Like 1