Trumpeter F-107A Ultra Sabre.

Rob G

Fresh from the success of my first (almost) built model in a decade (thank you to the EE LIghtning GB hosts and participants), I have exhumed this kit to have a bash at finishing it off. As you'll see, the hard work is mostly done, it's just a matter of paint and dangly bits.

If it looks all nice and clean, that's because it is - the box sat open on my modelling bench for a few years, then sat open on the shelf for a few years, then got closed up and stacked in the pile for a few more years. Opening the box was an adventure... after brushing out the cockroach poo and dust that had accumulated in the corners, I washed the kit bits to remove all the nasties, and I now present them for your comment.

As I recall, there were no real issues with the kit that weren't solvable with a little bit of thought. Some gaps were filled with sheet styrene (as shown in one photo) and a bit of filler sorted the rest. The main problem was the way the real thing was designed - that overhead intake is just a PITA to work on... On with the show.

[post=16017086799_78b807ac72_z.jpg20150105_154511 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

[post=15580784004_292ca50af0_z.jpg20150105_154706 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

[post=15583365663_3fdd854c04_z.jpg20150105_154837 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

Markings for the 3 prototypes are included, as well as a NASA tail band. It looks quite striking in the red and natural metal, so that's the way I'm going to do it.

• Like 6

Isn't it just, Mish. Back in the old rec.models.scale days, one of the regulars had actually worked for North American at the time that this was being tested, and he wrote us quite a tale about the protracted development and all the problems with that intake. I'll have to see if I still have it saved, or if I can find it in the newsgroup archives. As I recall, pilots weren't terribly happy about the location of the intake for when they had to leave in a hurry.

Edited by Rob G

IIRC the air intake was aove the fuselage, then it was moved below, then above again...

I would've said the aerodynamics were detter with the intake below. Wonder what made North American designers change their mind.

A crisp mould and a tidy execution so far. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Life's been busy this week (see my Lightning post if you want to know the details), but I have managed a bit on the cockpit in preparation for fitting and masking the canopy pieces, which will be followed by (yay) colour. Photos when there's something worth sharing!

Cool - I have this shelved too. Mainly because the poor cockpit details. Cobra Company does a resin set for this but outside the US they are very hard to get. I am too lazy to scratch it and too ambitious to simply keep the canopy closed :winkgrin:

:popcorn:

Rene

• Like 1

I'm just painting it as it is and gluing the canopy shut. 72th is much too small to mess about with detailing cockpits, despite the example of the SARO Skeeter running in WiPs at the moment - some have it, some don't; I don't. ;)

• Like 1

The main issue with the kit is the appalling fit of the the recessed pod. You need to sand a good chunk off the top to get it to fit as it should. Also note it's not a true NMF but had a clear lacquer over the metal AFAIK. I replicated this with a coat of gloss over Citadel Mithril silver.

• 2 weeks later...

Intersting - I never heared about the clear laquer. For what reason???

I only know that the F-107 was NMF when it was still flight tested and later it was painted silver (I guess when it went to the museum).

You might be right and it's the silver paint that I'm thinking of, but that had a gloss coat on top.

Edited by JamesP