Kenyan Air Force F-5E Tiger II - FINISHED

...and Austria, which flew a squadron of Swiss F-5Es on lease for a few years. ;-)

That said: do Iranian Azarakhsh (green overall) and Simourghs (blue overall) - all of which are either re-builts of some ex-Ethiopian, or ex-Vietnamese, or Iranian F-5Es - count as 'monochrome'?

Ah, I didn't know about the Austrians! Good question, and (luckily for me) no, I was not counting the Iranian versions! Rightly or wrongly. But since at least one of them uses a different tail section, I was considering it a sort of "sub-species" of the aircraft. I would love to build some IRIAF versions, but I don't want to get ahead of myself with the other stuff I currently have going. :D

Christian, the profiles I've seen show for these Kenyan aircrafts the F-15 style paint scheme as used by the F-5E in Swiss and Chilean service. This scheme would look overall grey from any distance higher than 10 feet as the two colours are very similar. If, and I repeat if, the aircrafts you're seeing are in this scheme, it's no surprise they would look like a solid grey scheme to you.

Hi Giorgio,

That sounds about right for what I am seeing!

Wyvern. You are there so it would be great if you could obtain some pictures of an up to date colour scheme if it has changed. I was looking for additional references on the net and came across this picture: http://www.offiziere.ch/wp-content/uploads/18446_11.jpg According to the website it was taken on Independence Day 2012 (just over 2 years ago). From a distance the photo would suggest an overall grey scheme, but when you zoom in you can see the grey and green camouflage; just poor photography. There is a possibility that the second 'buy' of F-5s (ex RJAF?) were delivered in a grey scheme but there is no evidence of this on the 'Net, so piccies please.

Hi Roland,

Errrr, the security situation here at present would make that a bit 'interesting'...

I literally could not find a single picture of a Kenyan F5E that wasn't in grey-and-green camo scheme tonight. The only operators I could find using a monochrome scheme were Uruguay, Spain, and Switzerland. With the solid grey underside, and people observing them from the ground, I'm thinking this is where the confusion is coming from. But I'm no expert and I'm certainly not in Kenya! Shame Wyvern's camera got destroyed by the African humidity (which is what I gathered from him saying it "got Mombasa'd").

Hi Caszerino,

Nope! Not humidity damage, but theft and vandalism, which is fairly impressive since the container was held in 'secure storage' at the docks... £8,000+ of damage and theft and the weasel of a local agent, (local), who was only too happy to state that it happened in Portugal, (no it did not, I witnessed it loaded and secured), charged us twice as much and then refused compensation...

The weasel did have a nice flash suit, mobile phone Samsung thingy and a BIG 4x4... :shutup::fight::wicked:

Oh no! I was hoping it wasn't the usual "the cargo container just fell open when it arrived in Kenya and all your things were missing" situation. Sorry to hear that, mate! :confused:

Wyvern. You are there so it would be great if you could obtain some pictures of an up to date colour scheme if it has changed. I was looking for additional references on the net and came across this picture: http://www.offiziere.ch/wp-content/uploads/18446_11.jpg According to the website it was taken on Independence Day 2012 (just over 2 years ago). From a distance the photo would suggest an overall grey scheme, but when you zoom in you can see the grey and green camouflage; just poor photography. There is a possibility that the second 'buy' of F-5s (ex RJAF?) were delivered in a grey scheme but there is no evidence of this on the 'Net, so piccies please.

Well, as far I know, all Kenyan F-5E/F wear the grey & green "jungle" camo scheme, developped by Northrop for Kenyan Tigers and applied at the factory. Also the former RJAF Tigers got this standard scheme. The "ghost grey scheme" was only a Northrop proposal and a shot showing a ghost grey F-5E with roughly applied Kenyan roundels has been diffused to illustrate the deal:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102434&d=1130940808

A profile of this a/c was drawn by Gérard Paloque for the recently published book about F-5s ("Planes and pilots" series).

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

As Diego said, a profile appeared in the Planes and Pilots book. This is captioned as an aircraft based at Laikipia in 1976. However Diego's post explains where this came from. Now how is it that the ones seen by Christian look overall grey ? Have they been repainted lately ? Or is it the result of the grey/green scheme looking this way from a distance ?

Hey, my pleasure! Sorry I didn't know about the second video sooner, I would've posted it earlier. But I'd call that pretty much definitive. Hope you get some free time again soon, I'm looking forward to this one coming together.

Thanks a lot. This is solving the issue beyond any doubt.

I feel over the moon right now (and I'm saying this as an American :D). I have some of your "Africa@War" books (an unbelievable fantastic series) and I cannot wait for your Uganda book. To have the Tom Cooper say that ... I'm so pleased. Tom, I started buying this series based on the ground combat books by Peter Baxter (after reading "Fire Force" by Chris Cocks) ... I really do feel humbled by talking to you about aircraft. Sorry if this feels like a thread hijack, I can't help it! :D

Thanks a lot. This is solving the issue beyond any doubt.

Well, I have been watching three stooging around the sky this AM with my binoculars and... one, (starbord side), is in a two tone scheme, a light and dark disruptive scheme, (i.e. grey and green) and the other two are, very definitely, in an overall light scheme, (one grey or a mixture of similar reflective valued greys).

Of course I am just sitting here in Nairobi, Kenya, in real time observing what is going on above. Ohhhh nice Mil 8!

I am wondering if the two tone airframes are being used for 'ground support', whatever that means here, whilst the grey airframes are intended for, mostly, air defence...? With most of the, euphemistically referred to, action going on up north that might be a reason why the two tone airframes are somewhat rare down south in the Nairobi area.

Christian the Married and exiled to africa... :raincloud:

Edited by wyverns4

I found another example of the video, it's pretty wild!

And this video has some great shots of them, is recent, and clearly shows the grey and green while they're on the ground.

Amongst several points and judging by the lack of present president and the central position of a previous incumbent it would suggest that the second video clip does not contain all recent material, but contains older footage that has been inserted to this. Although not present for the actual flypast, the large white roof of the primary school that my wife is in charge of is directly under the final approach to the arena and is used by aircrews as a positioning point to maintain accuracy, timing and spacing. Thus we spent a pleasant time watching the flypast, unofficially and sipping a cold one! Having asked my wife, the lovely Yvonne, we are both in agreement that two of the three F-5's were not two toned and that the brief glimpses of formation flying shown on the video were far better than that exhibited on the day. Also the flypast did not have any SA Bulldogs, but three Tucano's, two in the red/white/grey trainer scheme and one in a disruptive two tone camouflage. Interestingly one of each carried a gun pod under each wing.

Back to the model; looking good!

Christian the Married and exiled to africa... when can I come home :shutup:

• Like 1

And back to the model ;) a little more progress tonight. The fit of parts on the AFV kit is very Curate's Egg - good in parts. However it is starting to come together and is definitely starting to look like an F-5.

92C705A8-3C9F-4D7C-A041-07F63A21631C_zps

Had a look at my screen grabs from Caz's video and they've come out quite well so it's definitely a grey and green paint job for my jet.

Wyvern, not sure about the main video; can't have been too long ago though. The "Bulldogs" are actually Grob 120s, which, I think, were only delivered in 2014; also the 50th of the Air Force. Hopefully when you get a replacement camera you might be able to get some ground to air photos. Surely they don't stop you taking pictures of the sky in Africa ;) ?

• Like 1

Amongst several points and judging by the lack of present president and the central position of a previous incumbent it would suggest that the second video clip does not contain all recent material, but contains older footage that has been inserted to this.

Well it was posted to YouTube in 2013, so whether it's older than that, I don't know. I was only running on the YouTube post date. Not trying to be a cleverdick and say you're wrong (not least of which being you reside in Nairobi, as you say!), I just wanted to help out Roland so he could get building! :)

Coming along nicely!

Many thanks Roland, I knew they were not Bulldogs but could not remember what they were and they also did not take part in the display. Have looked at getting a new camera out here but have decided to wait until we are somewhere civilizes, (i.e. we do not want to pay three times minimum what we would back in the UK if they can find one, only to have the display example, (dirty and dinged), foisted as a bargain... TIA).

Caszerino, no problem! :winkgrin:

Christian the Married and exiled to africa who is listening to a Puma flittering about!

Edited by wyverns4

Indeed, looking very good.

BTW, just saw a few photos of ex-RJAF F-5Es recently sold to Kenya: seems they've received a mix of aircraft painted either in 'Minor Asia' camo pattern, or 'alu-silver' overall.

Now just to find out if they've re-painted them to 'standard' Kenyan camo pattern too...

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to start doing some painting and my first effort with Alclad paints. Have to say I like how they spray and the finish that can be achieved (although not so happy about the smell from the paint). Probably should have done a bit more building ahead of starting the painting, but I think that the masking for this colour scheme is going to be a little challenging.

5819FFB0-CB09-4627-A7BA-07E76D3CF708_zps

• Like 4